Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 11:22:46
Print Post

Afterfall:InSanity

[link to this post]

Okay, so this is a PC only game I believe but the reason I'm posting about it is because of it's unique selling model. The developers are trying to sell 10 million units for $1 each! And this by November 25th 2011, which makes me suspicious in that they want to fail as many have pointed out even the most popular games have not sold near that amount.

So, what's in it for them if they fail to get 10 million pre-orders then? Well, your one dollah will be donated in its entirety to (as far as I can tell) an undisclosed major? charity and you'll have to pay full price for the game if you want to play it. It was really hard finding just what that full price was as the developers didn't tell you in their video but I think, as according to GDN, it'll be quite a bit more expensive at $33.90, which is hardly cheap for an unproven, no name branded game especially when launched in the same month as the mighty MW3. In the event you preorder the game and it doesn't sell 10 million units you will still get a dollar off the full price but would you want to pay full price for something that may well be tat?

Anyway, thought it was interesting so here's the links:

Techcrunch's article
The Afterfall Universe site
GDN

EDIT: Oops! Actually it's called Afterfall not Afterlife!

Edited by SPOOKish (Tue 11-Oct-11 11:27:35)

Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Tue 11-Oct-11 12:23:42
Print Post

Re: Afterfall:InSanity

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

You're right, it is interesting. I wouldn't give them a dollar though because I don't pre-order games and it is very scam-like, even if it's a tiny amount. The chance of them making their target is virtually zero too.

Edited by e102gamma (Tue 11-Oct-11 12:24:17)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 13:16:50
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Got to be honest Spook this looks like a PC game from around 10 years ago and the selling point is a complete waste of time.

This game would be lucky to get 100,000 pre/orders never mind Ten Million ,do you think what it offers actually even looks good or interesting.smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 14:37:10
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

Totally agreed. The guy presenting the video even came across as a crook. If I hadn't found this on Techcrunch then I would have thought 'scam' too.

Crikey, you might even be right there - maybe Techcrunch have missed an obvious scam? I mean, which charity will they donate all that cash too? The 'We've been working on this game thing and need some money' charity perchance? laugh
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 14:44:06
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Agreed. The game looks a bit pants really. The full price is way too high too and if they get to 100,000 pre-orders they'd have done well. 10 million is ridiculous and something smells fishy for sure as it's such an unrealistic target.

A dollar isn't very much but... the thought of them having your credit card no. might not be the best thing in the world. They are not very transparent. There's not much info on the game, not a great deal of background info about them as developers, no mention of the full price of the title on their site, not even information or any external confirmation from the charity intended as recipient of all that dosh. Not unless I missed it.

Anyhoo. Just thought I'd post it in the unlikely event the game appealed and they're bona fide. Plus, it's definitely an interesting model and maybe they've got a point regarding recouping development costs. It's just their target was hopelessly optimistic. That said, we might be wrong and they'll reach it. There's a lot of gamers in the world.
  Print Thread

Jump to