Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NAM_killer
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 20:42:36
Print Post

Port opening issues - cant host games!

[link to this post]

I have been searching for an answer to a strange issue I have been experiencing and it looks like it lies with the modem but since you guys all know a hell of a lot about modems/routers and in general everything to do with the internet, why not ask here.

I am finding that according to all 'open port check' websites, pretty much every port is refused or closed.

I am using the BT modem and homehub 3 with FTTC broadband.

I have tried everything on the router and even removed it from the equation, connecting my PC directly to the modem. No luck.

I have since noticed that the modem actually has a built in firewall but had been dumbed down so much that it is completely locked out so there is no webpage for it etc...

I am wondering whether I am correct in thinking that this is my modem causing this issue....

The main reason I want to open specific ports is for the ability to host games online but unfortunatly I am unable to do so.

Any help would be appreciated!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Oct-11 22:00:54
Print Post

Re: Port opening issues - cant host games!

[re: NAM_killer] [link to this post]

The openreach modem is an all ports open device

If the PC is connected directly to that, then most likely the PC that has some AV/Firewall suite running on it is the problem.

Which game is it you are trying to host?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NAM_killer
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 22:15:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The firewall on my PC is currently off and the only AV is microsoft security essentials. I cant believe I didnt think of that before considering I used to have to troubleshoot repairs as a job!

I'll mess around with that but either way I'm trying to host Borderlands (the steam version)

If you could try going on canyouseeme.org or another similar one and let me know your results that would be great! I'm getting all ports closed including port 80 o.O

Thanks for the info on the modem aswell by the way! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 19-Oct-11 22:30:07
Print Post

Why would you expect 80 to be open? Are you running a webserver?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User NAM_killer
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 00:53:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Nope, I just assumed that it should be open since it was for http but then again, it was just an educated guess! I really don't know much/anything about how the internet works etc >.<

Is there another way of testing that ports are open/closed or any other tests that could be run?

I turned off my AV and tried that website again but any port I put in is still coming up as closed.

Interestingly, if I am not behind DMZ, the ports show as 'connection timed out' instead of 'connection refused' so (another educated guess) would that mean that the router is allowing the traffic through the ports on test?
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-11 09:11:09
Print Post

Im like you and expect everything to just run correctly and i guess you have already searched Google for a solution.

If not then try THIS

And there is always PFCONFIG but you have to pay for it.

Sorry i could not be anymore help and i suggest Google is your answer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Oct-11 09:31:01
Print Post

For a port to respond to a scan there has to be software running on the computer that is actively listening.

Thus not seeing ports open is to be expected, only if you are running Borderlands and it is listening for connections on the ports it uses will they appear, and unlikely that most scans check these.

IMPORTANT: Scans that purport to test all ports are often blocked by a router/security device because it looks like an attempt to hack a device.

Google has loads of people with same borderlands issue, so use google and see what they have done.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Thu 20-Oct-11 10:02:27
Print Post

Open Port Check Tool: http://canyouseeme.org/
General Port Scan: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
Port Forwarding Guides: http://portforward.com/
Standard User NAM_killer
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 15:12:49
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, I have used canyouseeme and as above, all ports I have tested are closed.

I have forwarded ports with no luck and put my PC behind DMZ with no luck.

I have also removed the router from the equation and connected directly to the modem. With no luck.

I have tried almost all tricks and techniques for hosting on borderlands but it seems nothing works.

Surely the ports would show as open even if there is not an application listening on them? I don't understand how it works to be honest but I just figured there would be no point in the port checking website if the ports showed as closed anyway...
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-11 15:17:06
Print Post

Check this YouTube vid Out which is basically addressing the issue you have and the problem hosting Borderlands.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to