Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-11 00:35:18
Print Post

BF3 Camouflage

[link to this post]

Anyone know which camouflage is best to hide you from IRNV scopes??
I can see a difference through my scope, some stand out massively while others are harder to spot but still not invisible to the scope. Or maybe they were :/

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-11 00:41:40
Print Post

Re: BF3 Camouflage

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Ignore the above I found the answer. Spec ops is the way to go

http://imgur.com/a/VbH10

Spec Ops camo actually makes your clothing invisible to the IRNV.

While this development is quite unexpected, I suppose it makes sense. But before you get too excited, understand there are a few caveats.

* Only the actual camouflaged parts of your uniform will be invisible; guns/skin still glows
* In some cases, SO camo leaves only your head glowing, making it easier to get headshot
* Wearing black clothing may make you more visible to players not using IRNV scopes
* Spec Ops Black Camouflage is unlocked at Captain rank, level forty two

All said and done, most players wonít be equipping their Sam Fischer wardrobes any time soon, and even when they do, the advantage gained might be minimal. Will IRNV scopes eventually get nerfed? Maybe. In the meantime, start grinding out those ranks. Those Recons arenít going to stab themselves in the neck, you know!

Vid of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUKpwkXTj0

=TLP=Swanny

Edited by Lt_Swan (Wed 16-Nov-11 00:49:43)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-11 07:42:07
Print Post

This guys full of himself,what a dork mad

KILL CONFIRMED wink

Edited by time2die (Wed 16-Nov-11 07:42:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Nov-11 10:07:11
Print Post

Wish it had shown screen shots of all the camo types.

I use spec ops camo anyway because it is ace - now it turns out it is more useful than I first thought!

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 10:37:26
Print Post

[re: ilh] [link to this post]

Harder to spot if stationary, but if people are moving have no problem spotting it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Nov-11 10:56:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Indeed. It is amazing how many people don't realise that movement is far easier to spot than colours. IR and scope glare negate this somewhat but it is still better to stay still when camping rather than bob side to side (you only do that when the rounds start coming in!)

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 12:24:34
Print Post

[re: ilh] [link to this post]

Saved myself from snippers/tanks many a time using ground cover and crawling away, now the clever people jump out of tank and into ditch and get me, but still rare and can circle a vehicle with mines often enough

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-11 03:21:43
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Agreed.

Basically, the IRNV scope is like having a cheat and that guy was showing selective footage proving how much of an advantage it gave him.

If it wasn't for the fact the IRNV scope is made available to all as an unlock you'd punkbust his ass.

I feel the Infra Red Night Vision scope is far too much of an advantage and ought not to be available at all in daylight settings. I am sure DICE will do something to modify it and reduce its infallibility at some point. That said, it's a devil trying to spot people in bushes without it save for the very bright scope reflection and any movement as ilh says.

Dork confirmed. tongue
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Nov-11 10:09:46
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

It is countered by people not getting first shot kills at range, unless high powered sniper rifle and they dont seem to use the IR scope, not enough magnification ie it is only x1

IR scopes work in the day too, it is visible light amplification ones that dont, as the optics are swamped with daylight

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-11 21:53:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The current generation (III +) of IR scopes used by the US military combine II (image intensification) with IR (Infra Red/thermal) imaging and are passive (they do not illuminate their subjects with an IR light source like Generation 0 products did) but they have a very narrow field of view (28 - 38 degrees) so their use is arguably unrealistic.

It's not whether a device conforms to reality or not though, it's how they affect game mechanics and having night vision goggles for day time use with such high intensities of illumination kind of breaks it for me. That said, I really had no idea the Spec Ops kit (at least for the US engineer) seems to really help cut down heat signature. grin

Anyway, some interesting facts about IR and night vision over here and here. Bet none of us knew night vision devices were used in WW2? I know I didn't. To think in BF1942 we were missing out!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to