Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User restarts
(learned) Tue 13-Dec-11 22:56:32
Print Post

Lag compensation ruining multiplayer

[link to this post]

I've come here to express my horrendous multiplayer experience since first playing cod4 on consoles from release day, Up untill this very day, I have put up with lag compensation [censored] for years, I'm so tired of being knifed by people who are seconds ahead of me, I'm tired of shooting half a clip in someone and getting hitmarkers, I'm tired of shooting people and getting hitmarkers and they turn round and take me down in 2 shoots.

This happens to me in every multiplayer game, all cod games, BFBC2,BF3, A good ping is absolutely worthless.
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Dec-11 01:39:07
Print Post

Re: Lag compensation ruining multiplayer

[re: restarts] [link to this post]

Come play on a platform that isn't designed for world wide game lobbies, yes you guessed it PC. Stick to the elitist games to get the best experience (after you get drowned, teabagged, and slagged off).

Games that don't feel bad:

Tribes 2 (google tribesnext)
Counter Strike 1.6 (find a real server, don't use server browser it's been hacked to smithereens)
League of Legends (free DOTA game)
Starcraft 2 (haven't played it online but it looks nice tongue)

I'll add more when I remember them. wink
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Dec-11 02:04:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by restarts:
I've come here to express my horrendous multiplayer experience since first playing cod4 on consoles from release day, Up untill this very day, I have put up with lag compensation [censored] for years, I'm so tired of being knifed by people who are seconds ahead of me, I'm tired of shooting half a clip in someone and getting hitmarkers, I'm tired of shooting people and getting hitmarkers and they turn round and take me down in 2 shoots.

This happens to me in every multiplayer game, all cod games, BFBC2,BF3, A good ping is absolutely worthless.

Tell me about it!

What's your Ping? Mine is below. I'm hoping to get interleaving applied at some point to try to get up to about 30 maybe. Probably won't help with host lag mind. I'm assuming interleaving will add latency even if there isn't much in the way of errors to be corrected.

Or should I say hoping. frown

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Dec-11 09:16:57
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

If the game has a server browser, or allows invite only, try and build a group of friends with similar latency and play together.

If people have similar latency then lag compensation should not be an issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Dec-11 09:17:36
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Pssst your live BQM is all red at present. Changed IP?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User restarts
(learned) Wed 14-Dec-11 14:09:21
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
In reply to a post by restarts:

Tell me about it!

What's your Ping? Mine is below. I'm hoping to get interleaving applied at some point to try to get up to about 30 maybe. Probably won't help with host lag mind. I'm assuming interleaving will add latency even if there isn't much in the way of errors to be corrected.

Or should I say hoping. frown

20ms ping interleaved, 10ms fastpath, You won't get upto 30ms, The best i can get it to is 25ms with my netgear router with different settings, And it still lags like [censored], Every match i put with this, It seems for a good experience you do need a 30ms+ ping.
Standard User restarts
(learned) Wed 14-Dec-11 14:36:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

No, I switched it off, Its back on now.
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Dec-11 18:35:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Ahh! That'll be the new router after the Babydaughtergate router incident!

Will have a fiddle with it, thanks. smile

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Feb-12 13:26:09
Print Post

Lag Compensation has made MW3 the worst online gaming experience i have ever had, what kind of dev is idiotic enough to make the game force the host to be at a disadvantage? I can understand them trying to remove any advantage but to basically make the game unplayable is unforgivable.

I have the PS3 version and patch 1.08 has made it even worse, last night i was walking forwards and just died, on the kill cam someone ran up to me and knifed me. I love being on Infinity but gaming wise it is the worst thing ive done, the pings are just too good and i am constantly the host.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Feb-12 14:10:11
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Just like Black Ops the game runs nowhere near as good as it does on the Xbox 360 and normally over the years i have been a avid Playstation supporter and always had preference to buy all of my games for the P3 regardless.

But time and time again over the years the playstation has always lost out and the xbox 360 always seems to get the better versions,why this is is anyones guess considering the P3 is suppose to be the more powerful machine.

Now my Playstation 3 never gets a look in and gathers dust faster than the Nintendo Wii,have not played much of MW3 the last few weeks but in all honestly it runs as sweet as a nut just like Black Ops did.

Time and time again my friend who has the Playstation versions complained about it,only when he came to my house and played the xbox 360 version did he realise just how bad the playstation version he was playing was compared to the 360 counterpart.

I never thought it would be my 360 that hugged the limelight but it does and its really the only console i play apart from the odd exclusive game like Uncharted 3 that my playstation 3 actually gets used.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to