Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andoids
(learned) Sun 08-Jan-12 10:38:48
Print Post

High Ping & Latency Problems

[link to this post]

Hello chaps....once more I have returned to these hallowed grounds (cyber-grounds) needing advice and guidance.

I have noticed recently (several weeks now) that I am getting disconnected from gaming servers on a more frequent basis due to connection problems. Yet when I look at the router stats, all seems well (as well as can be expected on my rural connection anyway Downstream varies 2500 - 3000kbps).

So, I started running some diagnostics and ran "Pingplotter" for several days, pinging BBC.co.uk and logged the results, and discovered that there are some really nasty ping spikes >1000ms. This occurs on the first jump between my router and the first external server.

I disconnected everything else from my network and ran just my PC direct to router and everything seemed fine (no ping spikes).

Yet whenever other people (2 others) are on the network the ping goes crazy if they do the smallest thing (surfing text only web pages or even just doing speed tests).

My question is ...is this normal to loose latency so badly whenever even the smallest pressure is put on the network?

You see we had a REALLY bad storm just about the same time this all started and I know telephone lines were damaged nearby. I have tried to get BT interested and they say it is an internal problem (because the fault is intermittent they cant see it of course).

Any suggestions?

Stats below
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1984 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.0 db 30.0 db
Noise Margin 14.4 db 16.0 db
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Jan-12 11:59:57
Print Post

Re: High Ping & Latency Problems

[re: Andoids] [link to this post]

Post it here and you will get plenty of expert advice! smile