Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jan-12 13:23:52
Print Post

Frozen Synapse ........Anyone played this RTS Game

[link to this post]

Looks intriguing i have to say but it also looks like a well thought out tactical game that looks way to deep for my liking.

CHECK IT OUT.

Anyone have Mac link then let me know as i might be tempted.........wink

Here is the download for those that are interested

FROZEN SYNAPSE DOWNLOAD

Also available on Steam Network.

Edited by time2die (Fri 27-Jan-12 13:30:06)

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:25:08
Print Post

Re: Frozen Synapse ........Anyone played this RTS Game

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

One of the few things I may have known about ages ago and you've only just discovered?

Sounds too unlikely to be true but I read about it ages ago at Bit Tech as the staff there seem to really like it (and they don't like too much too much, if you follow).

Frozen Synapse @Bit Tech

Myself, I am like you. I look at that game and though it intrigues me I know I haven't the patience to bend my unyielding mind to learning how to play it. I know I would be utterly thrashed each time too. I couldn't even bring myself to watch all 7 minutes of the video you linked to. Got as far as 4 minutes something and then gave up the will to live. Must be a great game to play against mates though but you and I would likely need something to sit with us and show us how to play it properly in order to get anything from it.
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:35:22
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Sorry. I only lasted 1:25

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jan-12 00:58:52
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

There is no doubting the game looks very good and rewarding but patience is something i just don't have,i did not watch all the video either i ran out of patience tongue

And like Spook says it needs someone to explain how to play it because after watching him i had no idea what the hell was basically going on.

All i know is he was moving some space ships or something but there was no real description how this game actually played out.

Im sure there are videos but this game even though it looks pretty and taxing is way out of my league
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Jan-12 10:02:06
Print Post

Sounds a bit like a cross between chess and battleships, and I would get bored with both of them pretty quickly.

If I have to think about gaming I like the Uncharted approach to puzzling. If I'm honest, I got to a courtyard on Ico and couldn't find anything obvious that needed to be done and got really frustrated. I haven't played it since.

I spend my days dealing with a lot of problem solving and fault finding. I have to solve the problem one way or another. I game to get into switch off mode, and if it gets overly complicated I lose interest fast, because I don't have to solve the problem.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jan-12 16:27:53
Print Post

I have got stuck playing the new Zelda so many times i find that i ask myself am i actually thick or what,my solace is a thing called Youtube which gives me the answer i need.

I know its cheating but when you Put a game on at night and 90 minutes later you are still trying to work out what to do next or where to go its a blessing in disguise to get the answer.

Sometimes its so obvious and other times its something you may never have spotted in a month of Sundays and other times its just me looking for something that was not there in the first place.

Even some of the puzzles in Zelda would tax the brain of most individuals,like you i have spent many hours been frustrated with Zelda and i have not played the game for a fair few weeks even though it really is a fantastic game in its own right.

But frustration does put me of many games and may be patience is not what it used to be even though i lacked it in the first place.wink
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Jan-12 17:40:44
Print Post

Sometimes its so obvious and other times its something you may never have spotted in a month of Sundays and other times its just me looking for something that was not there in the first place.

Precisely.

UC3 got it just right in my opinion. They give you the puzzle and let you solve it. I don't mind that approach. And I didn't have to let the game solve it for me when it offered. But if I have to deduce what the puzzle actually is, I get bored very quickly!

Dead Space is similar, though even more obvious than UC3.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-12 00:34:52
Print Post

How you getting on with Dead Space by the way,are you enjoying the game and the tension it brings,if you like the first you will love the 2nd one even more.
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jan-12 09:19:58
Print Post

Good. I was just starting to get the hump with it when it showed me how to use stasis to move stuff. Or is that kinesis? tongue

I've just finished chapter one, because I tend to be thorough and check everything and every room. I got the hump because the pause menu doesn't show you the controls (a schoolboy error as far as I'm concerned) and the instructions are in dark grey writing on black pages. Thoroughly annoying when you want to play with the lights down and there are more controls than the standard run/jump/shoot mechanic of most games.

Still, I didn't give in and I love the way the puzzles put you in thinking mode, which takes away the preparedness you are trying to keep in check for being jumped on from a side vent! All in all it's great fun, but I still have 12 odd chapters to go so I hope it doesn't get stale too quickly. Time will tell mate. wink
  Print Thread

Jump to