Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Feb-12 18:16:18
Print Post

High Street GAME .......Troubles

[link to this post]

Not the first time i have heard reports that they are not stocking a well known game because of lack of credit or something but Mass effect 3 not been sold at either Game or Gamestation is a bit of a joke to be honest.

With the online game retailers and Supermarkets doing pretty well are Game days well and truly over.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by time2die (Thu 01-Mar-12 00:12:50)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Feb-12 19:49:24
Print Post

Re: High Street GAME .......Troubles

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Could it be due to the fact that its also available for download from Origin ?

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Preview of AtomZ My Blog
Standard User restarts
(learned) Wed 29-Feb-12 20:14:14
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

They deserve to go out of buisness, There a rip off.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Feb-12 21:02:11
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

This does not read like that...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17210489

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Wed 29-Feb-12 21:29:06
Print Post

There has been a very long bitter dispute between GAME and EA and occasionally EA refuse to let GAME have any copies of a game.

I was surprised when they were the sole distivutor for the old republic special edition as EA pull the rug out from under them for Warhammer Online.
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Feb-12 22:20:24
Print Post

That CVG article was incredibly poorly researched. They didn't mention EA's spat with GAME and other retailers who offer second hand traded in games. Obviously that could be a huge factor in explaining why certain EA games don't go to Game whilst they do arrive at other retail stores like Tesco who don't offer second hand games?

So, as the BBC article linked by Uno says, it could also be down to RBS' reluctance to pump money into a failing business with a quite probably outdated business model in this age of the internet.

Having read a couple of pages of user replies to that CVG article I have to say they make for far more coherent arguments overall. The article reads like a bait piece, to purely attract controversy or in this case, overwhelming criticism of his lack of reasoning and demonstrably lacking insider/industry knowledge.

Also, my own local GAME store is a bit pants so I don't ever recall learning anything at all about games there, hands on or no hands on. I mean, if you want to see a game in action go to PC World or HMV. There's nothing happening there at all.

I hope Game do sort themselves out as I've gotten some good advice from some of their staff in the past (just not my local one); it would be a shame to lose them. Plus, I'd like to think people would continue to resist games and software publishers moves to tie products to first buyers and prevent them selling on, trading in their rights to use the games/programs they've bought. I think media industries are far too greedy and punitive in what they allow their end users to do with the content they produce so it's no wonder there's so much illegal file sharing going on. A fair price is all anyone should want whichever side you're on.
Standard User ccxo
(member) Wed 29-Feb-12 23:20:21
Print Post

Im suprised Game have not shut down more stores and move to a more online based distribution.

In particualr my local town has both a game and gamestation, gamestation is mainly ps3/xbox and some wii. Really game should shut the gamestation down and keep the Game store running as it offers a larger selection but even then in the long run will proably see alot of the smaller stores shut.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Mar-12 00:47:47
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Better info about what is happening (via wikipedia):

Game - Mass Effect 3/EA announcement

Game Falls out with EA @ the Telegraph

So, the real reasons why Game didn't stock ME3... interesting.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Mar-12 06:21:51
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

It all basically reads the same to me............Game are in troubled Times.

Just think of how many people are now going to stop using Game,I haven't used them for 3 years based on poor delivery performance and the fact that most of the people they have working in there shops know absolutely Jack about games in general.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Mar-12 07:22:17
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

They were very silly in taking over Gamestation (which only had grotty stores). I don't see Game lasting much longer...

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Preview of AtomZ My Blog
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to