Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Mar-12 18:09:18
Print Post

Games.......The HD Collection.........?

[link to this post]

Anyone noticed the current trend and lack of any game release that holds much interest,now we have publishers everywhere giving us the HD collection remakes...........Big Deal is what i say as i don't want last generation games with a higher resolution picture and nothing else.

I want new exciting games,if i wanted to play Devil may Cry and Zone of the Enders i would not have moved from a Playstation 2 to a playstation 3.

We also have Rainbow six and Ghost recon 2 Pack and Assassins creed and Far cry 2 packs the list is endless.

Make some games and stop giving us retro tripe that the majority of us played a decade ago,only pack worth investing in in the first place is ICO/SHADOW OF COLOSSUS and anyone that knows anything about games and owned a playstation 2 at the time would have been there done that and got the tee shirt........Period.

Suppose its another ploy to get some money why we wait some more months for something half decent to arrive, i mean this Resident evil Racoon city the reviews are all over the place and mainly rubbish,same for Ninja Gaiden 3 a great game a couple of episodes back now totally ruined with a different style in the game play mechanics.

Team Ninja ruined the brilliant Metroid game and gave us Metroid M........What a joke that was and why was it taken from Retro studios who gave us the awesome Metroid Prime on the gamecube that was at the time a breath of fresh air and took the Metroid Games seriously up a peg.

Taking a look at these reviews of Racoon city it seems these developers of Socom and some other garbage have not done Capcom any favours ....................Seriously this time I'm not throwing any more cash at half baked games with terrible Control and Ai problems and the fact the Resident evil was all about tension and fear and this new game has none of that...............

Edited by time2die (Wed 21-Mar-12 00:04:39)

Standard User Tonguey
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 20:41:13
Print Post

Re: Games.......The HD Collection.........?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I think the games world is becoming more and more like the music or film industries - pretty much everything's been done so it's reboot after reboot, bringing a new technology along every now and then to try and enitce customers. 3D movies come to mind there - same stuff as we've had for years but in a new format (which a lot of people are turning their backs on now).

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Mar-12 20:45:32
Print Post

Yeah, it's hard to feel sorry for the ultra rich media production companies isn't it?

The depths the film and music industry will plunge in order to squeeze more money out of us suckers is bottomless. Special editions all over the shop. Director's cut, triple play, extended editions, 3D, you name it they've done it. We are meant to buy things again and again and again. It won't stop at HD either. It's gonna be Ultra HD next. 4K.

Hyper inflated prices for new releases and a cartel of sorts keeping prices nice and high during the 80s and 90s doesn't exactly make you feel they've learned anything from fleecing us so long. There are good developers out there and good producers too but the ultra greedy big corporations... anyway, enough of that.

HD gaming is an issue most of us have been cynical about since before the last generation of consoles arrived and started spouting on about it. It doesn't actually add a whole lot more unless you want to see small text (on road signs etc) and even then, you need to be sat close.

Edited by SPOOKish (Tue 20-Mar-12 20:45:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tonguey
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 21:36:18
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
The depths the film and music industry will plunge in order to squeeze more money out of us suckers is bottomless. Special editions all over the shop. Director's cut, triple play, extended editions, 3D, you name it they've done it. We are meant to buy things again and again and again. It won't stop at HD either. It's gonna be Ultra HD next. 4K.

Agreed, I believe the current cameras that TV companies and the movie industry use are 4x more HD than the current viewing technology. So that means that there's anything up to 3 more HD upgrades :/

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Mar-12 22:16:58
Print Post

[re: Tonguey] [link to this post]

While 4k cameras are available, e.g. IMax you wont find the likes of BBC, ITV, Sky using them every day due to cost.

Editing 1080p is slow enough, well you edit at a lower res, and then the hardware churns out the edited copy in full res, and this is hardly quick. A 4k 1 hour video probably means leaving it running overnight.

We have 1080p - next is 2k and then 4k. Generally though the pixel density is such that in most homes above 1080p is a waste. There are masses of improvements to be made to the 1080p, in terms of less compression. You would be amazed if you got to see a raw 1.6Gbps feed into even an average 1080p TV, it is pretty amazing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Mar-12 22:22:59
Print Post

[re: Tonguey] [link to this post]

It will go on and on, won't it? The industry needs to do that or maybe that's the point, perhaps it's just to feed their increasingly lavish lifestyles?

I suppose the games industry will one day farm itself out to places like India, Thailand, The Philippines, Taiwan, and China just like every other industry in order to keep the bottom line down whilst lobbying the EU and US Congress et al so that they can keep profits high!

Okay, so it's already happened to some extent regarding software and support industries. I wonder how long it will be before all the creative industries relocate? Will it even happen? I guess there's always going to be a bifurcation of the industrial process into the creative side - engineering solutions etcetera and the worker ant processing/manufacturing side.

One day it won't matter where you live; there will be megacities the world over of just poor people (an army of expendable drones) whilst all the rich will live in their isolated and heavily fortified island paradises someplace. Guess I'm just cynical though. Maybe we'll have equality one day... grin
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Mar-12 00:07:58
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Oh Spook You found out where i live and it was supposed to be a secret wink
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Mar-12 06:59:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
Oh Spook You found out where i live and it was supposed to be a secret wink
There aren't any mega cities in the midlands are there? tongue
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Mar-12 08:53:25
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

How you know i originated from the midlands matey wink actually grew up in a place called Quinton in Birmingham but now live in Tewkesbury by the river Avon.

After mentioning the so called lack of any game of substance and the fact that the majority of games coming out are HD remakes and games that fail to inspire i revisited some of the better ones from 12/18 months back.

Like Dead Space 2 which i am now playing through once again,this is what you call a well produced and designed game with a sense of fear far better than any Resident evil game could hope for.

I just think when playing this the production standard of the game is extremely high and you actually feel the tension when playing it,the weapons in the game are are really satisfying and actually feel like you have something of substance and the game to me just says Quality from the moment it starts.

I also intend on playing through Red Dead Redemption until a game actually comes out that hits the mark and is worth playing.
Standard User Tonguey
(learned) Wed 21-Mar-12 09:18:10
Print Post

I'm very (maybe too) fussy when it comes to games/sims I play.

CoD4, GTR2 & Race Injection (driving), Just about to get M$ FlightSimX, had a wee play about with M$ Flight (flying, obviously) and World in Conflict (Strategy). Last one there isn't my normal kinda game, it's just different from the boring (IMHO) strategy games out there.

Or if I'm really bored, I'll get the old Acorn Electron out and program a quick game or wait 20 minutes for one to load via audio cassette. Yes youngsters, you heard me right!

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to