Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Mar-12 11:27:24
Print Post

Elder Scrolls MMO on the horizon

[link to this post]

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ZeniMax-Bethesda-Elder-S...

Thus ensues many 'arrow to the knee' references.

If anyone can make a large, living, open seamless world, Bethesda can.

Of course it will need significant code changes to accomodate many players, and is not without risk.

Having been out of the MMO genre for quite a while, because everything is just a WoW Clone, (even SWTOR), this, and Archeage, may rekindle the genre.

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Mar-12 01:01:44
Print Post

Re: Elder Scrolls MMO on the horizon

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how I feel on the possibility of an Elder Scrolls MMO to be honest. In some ways it would be awesome, in others there's quite a bit of trepidation as it's not only a hugely ambitious project but the last thing I really want to do is pay a subscription or make micro transactions or do anything remotely like World of Warcraft where you're expected to grind your way throughout the game till you're strong enough to take on a quest.

Having said all that, I think there's certainly great potential for a multiplayer game based on the Elder Scrolls series. Who wouldn't? It could be supercool. Imagine just popping into your local tavern and talking to the local trolls and elves and stuff but having a decent conversation, instead of the mindless rubbish you normally get? It could be quite cool clanning up and becoming a posse of sorts, collaborating to pull off some mission or other that requires strength of numbers.

But, I'm sceptical really. I'm thinking of the bottom line and the cynic in me sees this as just a cash cow, which admittedly, is a very negative viewpoint so I hope I am pleasantly surprised when/if it comes out. Certainly a lot of sense for Bethesda to extend the ES universe in this way but... don't expect me to pay any more than I would for buying a triple A title.
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-12 08:16:41
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

The latest word, is that it's now been officially confirmed, and will use the Hero engine (the same engine SWTOR uses frown)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/03/bethesda-con...
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/3/2996417/elde...

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-May-12 09:10:20
Print Post

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

I really enjoyed SWTOR, but as a SP game as the story line was pretty good. The MMO aspects of it were just terrible.

If they're going down the same line as SWTOR, it'll probably die a slow horrible death, but just because they are using the same engine doesn't mean that they will be another WoW clone. Hopefully.
  Print Thread

Jump to