Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-12 00:16:28
Print Post

GAME.....NEWS UPDATE ?

[link to this post]

latest news on the decline of the High Street Giants GAME
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Mar-12 01:30:09
Print Post

Re: GAME.....NEWS UPDATE ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Sad really but inevitable.

If it were me, I'd scrap the GAME brand and try to just save the Gamestation stores in the UK at least. They seem to have far too many stores too highly concentrated in this country and they've utterly failed to adapt to the changing pressures facing high street retailers and the evolution in the model of distribution of digital gaming (and other entertainment) products.

Did you know GAME actually operate in 10 other European countries and even in Australia? From the little I've read in some ways they're actually doing okay. But overall, obviously they're in dire straits.

Depending on what happens to the GAME Group, whether they'll rebrand or be taken over by say, HMV or some other giant like Tesco or somesuch, I would say that with the lack of high street competition since GAME has been relentlessly buying it all up, now might be a good time to open a few stores?

To be honest I never really liked the GAME brand. I hate the way the stores are presented and their high street dominance. I've always had a soft spot for Gamestation type places as they had a more indie type feel even after their takeover. I just see GAME as the Dixons of gaming and I have almost nothing but contempt for that group.

I definitely feel there will be a big gap in the high street for a gaming shop of sorts but it really need to get with the times (whatever that would entail) and it'd be nice to see somebody step in with some ideas for doing things differently. I'm sure a lot of the GAME staff would have better ideas on what to do than the higher management. What do you reckon T2D? Any point to the high street or have supermarkets and online companies like Amazon and Shopto swallowed everything?

Crikey, just look at shares in the GAME group over the time they've been in business. From a £3 high in May 08 to about 3p a share now. frown

Edited by SPOOKish (Thu 22-Mar-12 01:39:26)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-12 09:27:53
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

When Game first came on to the scene and killed most independent game shops i used nothing else for my games for quite a few years.

What i liked about them was the Trade ins,because when you buy a lot of games like i do there are on many occasions some real turkeys and they are a outlet to pass the trash if you catch my drift.

But over the years to me they have become totally complacent and my pre/orders from there online retail shop were getting later and later and many failed to get delivered on release day or they had limited stock when i tried to pre/order.

I had a few run ins with a few shop managers regarding there total lack of knowledge regarding games and general release dates.

Personally it was just a job to them but they would have done better if they actually employed a few people that actually liked playing games.

Contacting them online was also a joke and there customer service skills were none existence,then from the ashes other online retailers emerged like shopto.net that totally put game to shame as far as I'm concerned,

on another note someone did comment on here that shopto.net treated him very poorly and when i read about his troubles i was appalled and the first time i get any sort of the treatment shopto.net will be no more.

So basically Spooky mate i do not particular like Game and if i do buy from the high street then Gamestation is my choice even though its owned by Game Group.

On a serious note if Game does Go and nothing replaces it i think its bad for us gamers,Blockbusters only has a very limited copies of certain games and not hundreds like Game,currys ,dixons and the rest are a waste of space as they very rarely have a actual game on release date.

Obviously people like shopto.net are more than likely doing gambols and jumping up and down,but i think this in the long run is quite sad and it could well effect future game development and push prices even higher as the link in question says.

We will have to wait and see what emerges from the Dust Spook matey ,would be good if a lot of smaller independent game shops remerged but sadly i don't see that because the way the economy is this is not a time to open a shop when hundreds each week are going bust .

Every time i go to a high street some shop that was there is now boarded up because of the excessive rent and lease agreements that cost a fortune.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-12 11:10:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
Every time i go to a high street some shop that was there is now boarded up because of the excessive rent and lease agreements that cost a fortune.

Someone should open up a second hand game charity shop laugh

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-12 14:24:19
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Me by any chance wink

I actually have enough games to set up a small shop..........tongue
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-12 18:41:22
Print Post

Just used all of my points up - just in case smile
Bought BF3, HAWX2 and a Gioteck EX-05 headset smile

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Thu 22-Mar-12 19:11:05
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

No one wants to see a company like this fail - hopefully OpCapita can come to some sort of agreement with the administrators and turn Game in to the sort of game retailer we all want to see.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Mar-12 19:45:50
Print Post

I went to Game on Oxford Street this evening to try and use my points and a Game gift card

As I was queueing they got a copy of Mass Effect 3 in unused and the only copy they had - how lucky was I

The Game gift card didn't work and I didn't have enough money to buy anything and use the points, so walked out empty handed frown

The store was however packed with customers

Will be a real shame if it goes - they can be a bit pricey compared to online, but have some good pre-order deals and offers - plus the Game Reward card. The staff in the stores I use are always really helpful and friendly (and some recognise me in Walthamstow store)

I really hope someone saves them - secretely hoping Amazon will to get that cherished presence on the high street they are after

Be* Unlimited
Standard User dark_pants
(learned) Mon 26-Mar-12 19:29:48
Print Post

Re: GAME.....And there it goes...

Website offline, but existing orders are being reviewed and processed

About half of game/gamestation stores closed - list of closures here:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-...
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Mar-12 19:33:52
Print Post

Re: GAME.....And there it goes...

[re: dark_pants] [link to this post]

Surprised the one in Chichester isn't being closed...

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Preview of AtomZ My Blog
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to