Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Apr-12 17:23:17
Print Post

Next gen consoles

[link to this post]

Some joined up thinking for a change, with some sensible explanations on the possible tech.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Apr-12 23:56:17
Print Post

Re: Next gen consoles

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Personally i wish they would make a killer console and end the console wars,make something that has the raw power of a high end PC and is future proof for at least another 5 years.

Problem with most of the tech that comes with a new console its already 2 years out of date,cost is a major factor in many peoples budgets........Remember the Panasonic 3do and trip hawkins...........£599

If Sony can sell a portable gaming device [vito] for the best part of £300 why not forget about cost and sell us a really super powerfull Playstation 4 for £600

If its got the specs and some mind blowing games then I'm in..........wink
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 06-Apr-12 01:03:48
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

How many people have 600 pounds to drop on a console, consoles use old tech beacuse its cheap and can be mass produced, whats the point in making a killer console as the consolse wars make a fortune for microsoft/sony, why stop now.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Apr-12 02:39:25
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

An interesting read. Yeah, I agree with you: joined up thinking indeed and yes, it makes a change dunnit?!

Never realised that about the ram memory issue. It's easy to think with ddr3 ram being so cheap these days that you'd easily get 8GB into a system.

Sony giving up the cell architecture is a brave but smart move. Seems a shame as it had so much potential but clearly developers have to come first if anybody's going to create any games in the quantities and quality Sony would like to see for the new PS4.

I've spotted a few other reports on the state of next gen consoles in the past few days actually. Durango is meant to be one of the new codenames Microsoft are using for the 720. Interesting that apparently AMD are providing the GPU for that one too, which leaves the likes of NVidia somewhat out in the cold. I wonder if that was all thanks to Fermi or maybe just AMDs progressive stance in developing SoC?

Then there's loads more questions like presence of an optical drive or not (which I personally firmly believe there will be for both systems) and then the rest of it as Techradar report.

There are also rumours Apple have allocated a massive 90 billion US to some project or other so perhaps they are keen to get in on the home entertainment/media centre/game console market after a long absence. It's all speculative at present of course!
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:17:43
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
Sony giving up the cell architecture is a brave but smart move. Seems a shame as it had so much potential but clearly developers have to come first if anybody's going to create any games in the quantities and quality Sony would like to see for the new PS4.

Brave indeed. Fanboyism aside, the PS3 is obviously strides ahead of the Xbox in raw untapped power, even though it was never fully utilised. It would be interesting to see the new console demographic with equally powered machines? Taking time scale (years head start) and all the replacement Xbox units into account, Sony is quite obviously a nose ahead and territorially speaking is dominant. But is that solely down to the talk of its potential power and the odd first party exclusive, or other issues like the familiarity of the controller from the PS2?

If the new Playstation was equal power wise with the new Xbox, I would have to decide by which controller felt the most comfortable (assuming there is a new incarnation on either) and which was likely to see the best first party studios signed up. At the moment that is still Sony but I'm always open to persuasion.

You never know, I may even win the lottery and get both. smile
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:21:39
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Sony and Microsoft wont build a killer console that was my personal opinion because i spend a awful lot of money on gaming.

Then consider that the majority of gamers have both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 and in some cases even a Nintendo wii and you have already spent well over £600.

I remember buying a imported playstation 2 from some game shop in wolverhampton with a copy of Ridge racer and Fantavision...............Cost £599.

That was in the days when importing was big business now there is little need as release dates are within days of each other apart from the odd obscure Japanese game or two.

It would be nice though to have one console that plays everything and we never had the Xbox V Playstation 3 comparisons in which games were the better looking and which game multi platform is best on what console.

Sony clearly lost the later as it pretty obvious the 360 was far a better developer friendly console.
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Apr-12 18:10:24
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Sony clearly lost the later as it pretty obvious the 360 was far a better developer friendly console.

Let's hope Sony get a chance to change that sooner rather than later! smile
  Print Thread

Jump to