Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Decani
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 15:43:19
Print Post

I am mostly playing....

[link to this post]

... Star Wars:The Old Republic. Gorgeous to look at as well as candy for the ears. Although sub numbers have dropped lately (so I read...) and there aren't a huge number of players around, it's still a great blast! I'm often on with a mate, though he's getting a bit tiresome and tends to log off just as we're about to hit the Boss... huh?? Maybe not a mate for much longer lol

Also:
Aion, free-to-play and gorgeous to look at (German programming aiming at Korean players) - the Gold Spammers are a bit tedious, but the quests are well put together and ... you get Wings at level 10, nice!

Toy Soldiers: picked this up on Steam last night, dirt cheap but beautifully presented. A tower defense game set in the First World War. I'm a bit worried about the morality of getting little dollar signs over the soldiers you blow up and mowing down cavalry horses as they charge your Howitzer, but if they were BEMs everything would be dandy!

...talking about BEMs, I've just joined the Firefall Beta http://www.firefallthegame.com and it's..errr... gorgeous-looking with great sound. It's a mix of Planetside (instant loadouts to change from Engy to Medic to Tank), Tribes (jetpacks), Team Fortress (Engys construct Turrets, Medics hose you down) and Space Marines (hordes of crab-y insects with huge pincers and green blood, great!) all mixed in with get-this-fetch-that-kill-dozens-of-these Quests. Only had a 10-minute blast, but it looks addictive.

While on Steam last night I picked up The Dream Machine, a dirt-cheap adventure with clay-model stop-frame animation. Haven't fired it up yet, but it looks quite spooky and ... odd!

Legend of Grimrock: I spent years with my old Atari ST and Dungeon Master (I even wrote a dungeon-crawling game to go along with a book on programming...) and this is a pretty good clone of that, brings back many fond memories, though probably too static and boring for newer players.

EDIT: BEM blood in Firefall is Royal Blue, sorry to mislead you! But it does have a yellow afterglow, so easily mistaken for green - and after all, that's what we expect isn't it? laugh

EDIT 2: And then wait til dark falls and you have to switch on your flashlight.... and then the insects come out of the dark at you.... AND THEN, the flying insects AAAHHHH But if you're a medic, you can whip out your Heal Gun and run around keeping the Heavies buffed up and the creatures ignore you smile

This is a brilliant game, I'm hooked

Edited by Decani (Tue 15-May-12 20:05:55)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-May-12 16:46:37
Print Post

Re: I am mostly playing....

[re: Decani] [link to this post]

If you like toy soldiers then check out the following game Toy Soldiers Cold war........Excellent games both of them.

Anyway welcome to the Gaming forums and keep on posting as it gets a tad quiet in here at times and its nice to see some new blood that writes more than one sentence wink

Itching to get my trigger fingers on Max Payne 3 this week and Ghost Future Soldier week later,quite desperate for some new games after what seems a eternal game drought.smile

Edited by time2die (Tue 15-May-12 16:49:13)

Standard User Decani
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 17:56:45
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Thanks Timey..

Hardly a newcomer here though, even though I'm flagged as 'Newbie'! I've been on for years and posted several times, though My Home tells me I've only posted 4 times...

Built a new computer a coupla months ago, maybe that's the prob...

I'm not into toy soldiers per se (maybe when I was four...), but this is very well-done and you can almost believe that the little critturs are real men. (the clockwork key sticking out of the big tank is a bit of a clue though!)

Edited by Decani (Tue 15-May-12 18:02:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JonasTone
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 18:14:32
Print Post

Hey there, A great free to play for lovers of Sci Fi would be Startrek Online. Of course as with most other MMOs there is a PAY for better stuff element, but this is how they make their money from non subbing players, I also play EVE online which offers a free trail and a player within 2 months can easily make the kind of ingame money needed to purchase subscription in game
Standard User Decani
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 18:25:24
Print Post

[re: JonasTone] [link to this post]

I spent a few weeks on Star Trek, but the graphics looked like my 5-year-old grand-daughter's cast-offs (and she is a hopeless artist). And navigating the star systems was s-o-o- slow. A shame, as I really wanted to like it.

Star Wars:The Old Republic isn't free, but it's also not that expensive, doesn't have any in-game market and also isn't full of idiots spamming the chat channels. That's a major advantage right there... plus it looks and sounds beautiful (did I say that before?) and has a great storyline (actually, many storylines, each character has a completely different progression)

EVE made me go cross-eyed with all the tiny text....

Edited by Decani (Tue 15-May-12 18:26:27)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-May-12 23:47:12
Print Post

Says you only registered 3 months ago in Feb and i have been on these gaming forums for the past decade so sorry i don't recall seeing you before.

Anyway makes no difference because its nice to see some new faces wink
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-May-12 00:10:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
Says you only registered 3 months ago in Feb and i have been on these gaming forums for the past decade so sorry i don't recall seeing you before.

You're still a newbie to some of us wink

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-May-12 09:28:30
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Thanks Matey wink

Dam you registered a year before me smile

Edited by time2die (Wed 16-May-12 09:30:32)

Standard User Decani
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 09:35:13
Print Post

Yes, I remember now, when I built the new computer back in ?Feb, I had to re-register... a bit of a senior moment there! I used to be tonybridge on the Forums (well, that's still my name funnily enough...)
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-May-12 09:47:21
Print Post

now that name tonybridge rings a bell but not that pro active in the gaming forums,anyway keep lurking and posting in here mate the more the better.smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to