Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 13:14:29
Print Post

Sound problems with xp500 and xbox

[link to this post]

I bought some new turtle beach xp500 for my xbox and set them up using the optical cable into the back of the receiver and to begin with all was well (for around 5 mins anyway) and then all of a sudden no sound from the left ear-cup. I tried changing the optical cable form my xbox to the tv to see if that made a difference but no joy.

I then contacted turtle beach and they advised me to put the headset into bootloader mode and flash the firmware using the xp500 advanced sound editor so I did this but still no joy.

I bought the headset online and will have to wait around 28 days for a refund so until I send them back I am willing to try anything to get them to work.

Was wondering if anybody else has had this problem?
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jun-12 00:54:04
Print Post

Re: Sound problems with xp500 and xbox

[re: deepdishdj] [link to this post]

I have a set of turtle beach PX5 and looking at the instructions on the turtle website they look pretty similar,i know mine cost around £160 about 8 months ago and i also have them connected with a optical cable into my xbox and had to change a few settings and muck about with both the turtle beach unit and the xbox settings for sound.

I guess you have looked at the xbox menu settings and have synced the turtle beach headset to your 360,dont know what to suggest but i will look exactly how mine is connected both from the turtle beach unit [what light are on ect] and the xbox sound config if you like.

Let me know and i will post on here or try and help you in some way.wink,only thing i hate about it is the fact that i have to keep taking out the optical cable from one console to the other and the fact that the headset dont charge the batteries and it costs a small fortune when gaming a lot.

Sometimes turning the unit of and taking out the optical cable and restarting helps these sort of issues,as this has happened to me in the past.

Apart from that the sounds brilliant and the headset nice and cozy .

Edited by time2die (Sun 17-Jun-12 00:55:47)

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jun-12 15:19:29
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Okay T2D, why not buy another optical cable (you can get cheap QED ones from your local hifi/av place) and leave that connected to the other console so you don't need to mess around with plugging in?

And, buy a separate set of rechargeable batteries and a quick charger? AAs? I got one a while ago from 7dayshop or someplace and it can fully charge AAs in 15 minutes or some such.

To the OP, I don't really have any suggestions as I own neither an Xbox or surround headphones but I might suggest trying your headphones out on another Xbox, PS3 or PC or some other AV device if you can? Or perhaps even resetting your Xbox if that's not going to mess things up for you?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jun-12 17:22:56
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Been looking at those rechargeable batteries Spook in the supermarkets but i can not be bothered with waiting for them to charge up as most of them take about 8 hours to fully charge.

I know you can do 4 batteries at a time so may be i should look into it.wink
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jun-12 01:05:15
Print Post

I couldn't find my own Energizer battery charger at 7dayshop so can't be sure I wasn't just imagining it had a super fast 15 minute charge but I did find one that's supposed to do it in under an hour:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Battery-Charger-Fa...

You get 4x AA 2300mAh batteries too, all for £19.10. I hardly ever use mine as I tend to be lazy and just stick alkaline batteries in remotes and things, then you can just forget about them and not have to hunt for them when you want to charge them up for something.

I liked the 4 x AA/AAA charging units as they are small and not hideous to look at unlike the do-it-all types you can get that are obviously much more versatile. Handy to have though. Mine has a fan in the base and a power brick to charge the batteries as the charging unit gets super hot in use. Robert Dyas in town do them if you've got one where you live. smile And Maplins too (they also do optical leads!) laugh

Edited by SPOOKish (Mon 18-Jun-12 01:07:39)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jun-12 08:27:15
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Thanks matey but if i buy one it will be more likely from a shop rather than online,like you im lazy and tend to stick to just replacing batteries with normal ones which is not cost effective is it.
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 12:30:52
Print Post

Hi all sorry I have not replied but I have been away all weekend and just got home today.

Have sent a few emails back and forth to turtle beach and they have confirmed that it is a fault with the unit and they will need to be sent back which is a bit of a pain to be honest as these are turtle beaches supposed premium product.

I have decided to go for the xp400 instead of the xp500 as they use 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless so should eliminate all possibilities of interference as I have a lot of wireless devices in my flat.

I was looking at the px5 but wanted a completely wireless set up as wires drive my wife nuts.

I got my head set from zavvi online and currently I am still waiting for a reply in regards to sending them back or getting a refund so I predict a long and drawn out process to get my wonga back....sigh.

Edited by deepdishdj (Mon 18-Jun-12 12:58:03)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jun-12 17:42:06
Print Post

The px5 is a wireless headset wink,basically the xp500 is a slightly updated px5.

Edited by time2die (Mon 18-Jun-12 17:45:49)

Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 19:38:00
Print Post

My understanding was that the px5 used a chat cable between the headset and the control pad whereas the xp series of headsets use a bluetooth puck connected to the xbox pad to transmit xbox live chat and therefore is completely wireless.
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 19:51:51
Print Post

I was wrong about zavvi. After a quick phone call they are sending a courier round to collect the headset tomorrow and will send out a new one on Wednesday and should arrive Thursday morning which to me is pretty good service seeing as zavvi always seem to get slated online.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to