Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jambo_makaveli
(newbie) Mon 25-Jun-12 09:55:52
Print Post

fifa 12 latency delay---unsolvable????

[link to this post]

played fifa 09,10,11, and 12, and until recently i didnt even know what lag was. from 09, up until 2 months ago, all my fifa games worked online as they did offline.

so 2 months ago i started having problems, i have since found out its lag, or more specifically latency delay. i dont see any freezing, or warping or any normal lag, the game looks fine and to anyone watching, it would be playing fine, but when i play it feels horrible. my players feel sluggish, unresponsive, and everything i try and do seems to take an age.

my setup is as follows.....

adsl filter in master socket, filter connected to netgear dg834g router, ethernet cable going from router to xbox 360. pc connects to the router wirelessly. xbox 360 has a static ip address, which i have placed in the routers dmz to allow all ports to be open. no one else is using any bandwidth when i play.

so my troubleshooting steps so far have been.....

plugged filter into test socket
changed all cables at least twice
tried the most expensive router i could find (netgear, over £100, big blue circle on top)
tried another xbox
put my tv in gaming mode
tried a wired controller

and the most worrying step, which shocked and dissapointed me when it didnt work, was to switch back from bt broadband, to zen internet. as i had always had great gaming with zen before. but to note, in fairness, bt was great, up until my problem started.

i have spoken to zen a few times, who tell me everything is fine from their readings, but they are going to keep an eye on the connection for a bit and let me know.

im really starting to think that some underlying problem is causing this, something that i personally cant do anything about. and that is the most worrying part of all of this. i dont know to much about all this stuff, but im really worried there could be some problem with my exchange, something small enough to cause this, but not big enough that it is recognized and warrants fixing, or some little error with my line.

for close to 2 months straight i have just been trawling the internet and googling like crazy, trying to get to the bottom of this, and there seems to be no end in sight.

lastly i will give results of a sppedtest.net and pingtest.net taken seconds ago to the recommended server....

speedtest.net ping 24ms d/l 7.93mb u/l 0.96mb

pingtest ping 22ms jitter 2ms grade A

i would also like to show the last 24 hours of my thinkbroadband ping and latency monitoring tool, this can be seen at the following link..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/latencyu.jpg/

im really hoping someone may just have the answer or be able to somehow sort this problem, that, as sad as it is, is pretty much stressing the hell out of me and ruining my days and nights.
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jun-12 20:42:19
Print Post

Re: fifa 12 latency delay---unsolvable????

[re: jambo_makaveli] [link to this post]

Hey J. Sorry to see you're having internet problems. We've all been there believe me.

So what to do?

You appear to have trouble shooted the problem quite thoroughly but with the exception of trying another Xbox360. Is that a possibility?

Would doing a full reset of your Xbox and/or router help? Are you using the latest netgear firmware? Have you tried just running from the master socket? What's PC gaming like? Can you play any games uninterrupted on the PC or other Xbox games okay? You could download Steam if you haven't got it and try something like Team Fortress 2 for free and just monitor your latency whilst in game.

Sorry but I can't help with the graph. I don't really understand it much but you could try using the DMT tool or somesuch to see which tones are affected, hence ruling out local electro-magnetic impulse noise either internally (Dect phones etc) or externally (lamp posts, neighbours etc). Some of the Be forum guys/gals used to recommend running around your house with a Long Wave radio tuned to 612khz - it will buzz feverishly when it's close to a strong source of emi. Helped me identify just how nasty my own DECT phone was at messing up a portable tv aerial. (No DECT no problem with the telly. Took me ages to work that one out.) Here is a quick google I did that deals with this issue of local noise:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1550.0 (Reply #7, Ezzer)

Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on. smile

Edited by SPOOKish (Mon 25-Jun-12 20:45:32)

Standard User tthom
(learned) Mon 25-Jun-12 21:02:53
Print Post

Fifa has went downhill rapidly to the point i no longer play online as i want to throw my xbox out the window

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jun-12 21:46:42
Print Post

Welcome to my world. Throw it out of the window and get a Rubiks cube...........

Could your problems have started after an update?
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jun-12 21:50:30
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
Some of the Be forum guys/gals used to recommend running around your house with a Long Wave radio tuned to 612khz - it will buzz feverishly when it's close to a strong source of emi.
Did they instruct you to say nanoo nanoo and make a funny hand signal at the same time? tongue
Standard User jambo_makaveli
(newbie) Mon 25-Jun-12 22:34:55
Print Post

thanx for all the help, and taking the time to reply, its much appreciated......

i perhaps forgot to mention, that i did in fact try another xbox, it was just the same.

i have completely reformatted my xbox hard drive, i have factory reset my router loads of times, and have made sure i have the latest firmware.

as for other games, i have just rented, and played online with no problems, ghost recon future soldier.

i have also tried it from the test socket, which brought no joy.

i am really starting to believe that it is indeed a problem with EA and their servers, although everyone on their forum loves pointing out that this game is P2P, so its either mine or my opponents connection.

the new version, fifa 13 is due out in a few months, so i guess i'll just have to sorta hope for a fresh start with that, as i cant see what else i can really do.

thanx again for all the responses!
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jun-12 23:22:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by jambo_makaveli:
as for other games, i have just rented, and played online with no problems, ghost recon future soldier.

i have also tried it from the test socket, which brought no joy.

So, other games play okay. It's just Fifa? If so, then I guess it's a problem with that game and you're right to visit Fifa support forums. Knowing EA, he says jokingly in case EA are listening, maybe they deliberately messed the game up to encourage people to get the new one? Well, probably ridiculous but that doesn't help you does it?

You must really love the game though if you're gone through all those unnecessary (and costly) steps like changing your ISP just for Fifa. Have you thought about switching to Battlefield 3? grin
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jun-12 23:25:44
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Nanoo nanoo! Spook calling nelster. Come in nelster!

Hope you don't mind me dropping the mr btw. Substituting mrnelster for Orson doesn't sound right (too many syllables). Respectfully yours, Spork. I mean Mork. No. Spook! tongue
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jun-12 23:41:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
Respectfully yours, Spork. I mean Mork. No. Spook!
LMAO! grin
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jun-12 01:01:38
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Silly people

Shazbot !!!!!

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to