Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jun-12 19:20:18
Print Post

F2P format

[link to this post]

"They don't need the distributor to succeed, so a lot more money goes into the game rather than to marketing and you get to grow organically with your players. And as there's no barrier to entry for players you can start to compete on fun instead of marketing, which is really the area that we as developers should be in."
Would suit me to be honest and no distributors can only be a good thing long term.

What are a hardcore gamers reasons for opposing it?
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jun-12 00:01:39
Print Post

Re: F2P format

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

The ironic thing about free 2 play is the games can work out to be far more expensive than traditional buy once affair.

In some ways I don't have anything against them but it's really when you look at the finer details that you get to see what's on games publishers' minds. And I don't for one second believe their thinking of the poor dear developers either.

People were bemoaning all the little tat items in BF3 Premium, like special dog tags and uniforms but really, where does it end with the free 2 play model? The imagination's the limit as to what developer's can offer, or should I say publishers, as they will very much be the ones still in control. And even more so.

It's all about locking the user in and keeping them in, a bit like MMORPGs subscription model but based on lots and lots of little 'micro' transactions instead. Things you take for granted now will be totally removed from the game experience in the coming future. Again, the sky's the limit as to what to expect in terms of (the poor) player handicaps that will be written into the game if (and when) publisher's don't get the amount of revenue they're after.

It won't likely just be lack of ammo, or health or a good game or some other competitive disadvantage but something really fundamental beyond a sprint key. Such as limited overall graphics detail/resolutions settings or something. I don't know but there must be a million things you can leave out. Perhaps FPS players will suffer from malaria or something, eh? Their vision will be impaired or they'll have the trots and run around with brown trousers until they pay for new ones or somesuch.

I seriously think that the future of gaming is going to be all about control and revenue maximisation not freeing up developers or maybe even cutting out the middle man with pure digital distribution models - you can bet we gamers won't be getting the cost benefits of the savings to be had and additional (?) revenue from combating, what admittedly is probably quite a serious issue: software piracy. If you never were going to sell something anyway then that, in my view, is not a lost sale but could actually work out favourably in increasing recognition of your product and promoting next time sales perhaps, and yeah, this is fundamentally where I do see light at the end of the tunnel for software/games developers as people could potentially pay what they can afford for (hopefully) decent features:. It's better to have some revenue, however small, than nothing at all.

So, call me cynical and perhaps say I'm looking mostly at the negatives but I seriously think the whole F2P area is going to be one giant control fest. It will tie in - of course - with cloud gaming and this again has advantages and disadvantages though I think this has got to be the way we're heading. Actually, one little quirk about me is that I don't really like renting or subscribing so that definitely taints my views. Instead I prefer to own the media or hardware so I can re-watch/re-play films or games or music as many times as I like or pass them on if I'm done with them.

I like to spec my own computer and have it there rather than use my bandwidth and pay someone to stream games down to my monitor or telly. I'm not totally against the idea of doing this in future when internet issues are much less a problem (hopefully the whole world will be fibred up by then) and I'm getting used to paying for apps on my Android phone that are digitally distributed but I would be really miffed if, in future, I can't access the apps or games or music/video because the publisher says it's expired for some reason or other. And history tells us these industries like nothing more than to sell us consumers the same thing in a million different ways all the time: DLC, expansion packs, micro transactions, special (limited) editions, director's cuts, extended scenes, special recordings blah blah blah.

About digital distribution: I like it a lot if done right. Steam is good for things like sales, fast download speeds, good tech support, community stuff and variety and availability of content. And importantly, with Steam, they have a fair usage policy regarding what devices you can play the games on (Mac or PC if supported or even someone else's PC) and there's no limit to how many times you can download the game if you have to. Plus it's an excellent way to patch games and keep them up to date not to mention a better way to deal with cheats. But I really resent the fact the content isn't at least refundable or transferable at all. That's something I've come to live with but I've tied shop bought (physical) games to Steam not realising I couldn't then pass them on after so I think that's fundamental 'wrong'. I guess games you actually buy for download from Steam isn't so bad and there obvious reasons why you can't transfer your right to play them between people (!) but it's still a bit restrictive.

Anyway, I'm ranting on and on and I would be really amazed if T2D gets this far reading. He will likely have a fit when he's sees how long my post is. So, in a nutshell "I'm a little uncertain about the future" to quote one of my favourite lyricists, Jimbob from Carter USM but I do feel all better now for having had my say. Thank you mrnelster sir. Got it all out of my system (for now), just like having a good [censored], I mean, clearout! smile
Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jun-12 09:32:50
Print Post

I play World of Tanks and I'm kind of scared to look at how much I have spent on that. You find that you spend lots of small amounts and I have had to be careful to stop it from running out of control - it is all to easy to think 'oh well it is only £5' or 7... and then there is this other small amount for a shortcut over here...

You get plenty of people moaning on the WoT forum about how hard it is playing without handing over a penny but the game isn't designed to work that way - they want to make money and in order to do so they need to get people paying.

I try to give myself a sort of monthly gaming budget and if I spend it on a new release then I don't have it to spend on WoT...

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jun-12 09:44:18
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

It's all about money now, they used to release the developers pack so that people could make maps.
The good old days when you bought a game and everything after was free

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jun-12 09:59:43
Print Post

Ive told you before Mr Spook and i will tell you again your posts are a brilliant cure for Insomnia wink

Joking apart i have to admit when i opened your answer to the thread i had a little laugh to myself at how long it was,but looking at it the other way its nice you take time out on here and post your thoughts and opinions because there are many out there that have trouble sleeping tongue and I'm sure they are tired once they have read your post.

Seriously i love reading your posts as you have a great sense of humour,obviously some of the topics you may well talk about may not interest me but there is always some comment regarding me or something quite funny in them

Basically you write extremely well and your wisdom is always something that is gratefully appreciated on these gaming forums even though i take the mickey on occasions.

You really want a hard time then buy a 360 and me and you can have some serious fun.smile
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jun-12 17:53:27
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Aw shucks, I love you guys. tongue

Better than sleeping pills eh? I'm a medical marvel that's what I am!! laugh

I will get an Xbox 720, how's that? That is if I"m not destitute and living on the streets (trying to survive) by then.

Yeah, with cloud gaming services like OnOne, I mean OnLive, I reckon the future will be something like: buy an expensive Apple, Google, Microsoft or Sony etc flat panel OLED TV, hook it up the internet then surf, rent films, play your games, listen to some phat beats and manage your life or have it managed for you by companies like Facebook. It'll be the end of the living room electronics boutique as we know it. Everything will be integrated into your telly (well, until someone comes up with something new to add then you'll have another box besides your TV but you get my point); it's all about convergence as Microsoft et al have been telling us for all these years.

That means giving over the power of your wallet as you'll no longer be able to keep a track on what you spend, all those little transactions will insidiously be depleting your bank balance month after month and you won't even notice it*. Before long you'll have invested so heavily in a company's online distribution platform you'll be their slave in perpetuity, forever and ever. Might as well get a barcode tattooed on your head right now or else an NFC chip implanted if you wanna be more discreet about your life being corporate property. We're just industry consumption fodder - we give them our lives and they give us entertainment.

Works for me! grin

* a bit like being married (and having kids) or so I've heard... crazy

Edited by SPOOKish (Wed 27-Jun-12 17:58:25)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jun-12 18:20:49
Print Post

Informative,Imaginative as ever Spooky wink

Shame we wont be seeing the next generation until possibly next year as i was hoping for some new toys this 2012 and i doubt very much i will be buying into the Nintendo Wii U .

Hardly a upgraded console by the sound of it and Nintendo seem hell bent on alienating the hardcore gamer and pluming for the kiddie market once again.

There would have to be some killer game releases on that platform to get me even slightest interested,and one of those games would have to be Metroid and it needs to be developed by those guys that gave Metroid a brilliant new look in Metroid Prime on the gamecube..........Developers Retro who got dropped in favour of some Japanese game developer that basically killed the last game in the series Metroid other M or something ......Tripe that was !
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jun-12 18:45:45
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

You got that right. All about money when 'money' becomes the sole aim driving development of games. It used to be more about just the money, he says nostalgically. Developers would still have you believe they have a passion for their games and believe in the community that those games foster.

Maybe gaming won't all be hijacked by the big publishing houses out there though. Perhaps digital distribution and micro transaction payments can be used as a source for funding developers themselves without the need for expensive corporations with sophisticated marketing departments. Maybe some of them will get rich enough from charging reasonable prices for game items/enhancements that aren't crippling to consumers of their games who don't have them. A kind of honesty box so stop speak: pay if you want to help support the developer. That can actually work very well in reality.

It always amazes me to see what mods gaming communities can come up with. Back in the days of BF1942, there was an amazing array of mods with plenty of support from people giving their time and expertise for no remunerative reward. Still happens now but just not BF3 I guess? I'm pretty much out of the loop since the days of Desert Combat for BF1942 though. Now that was a mod! Whatever happend to those guys anyway? Oh, they were sucked in and spat out by the DICE/EA machine I guess. Mind you, they did have capital and you always do need a bit of wonga behind you if you're gonna get anywhere. Plenty of new models for capitalising projects exist these days though - much more ethical alternatives than releasing countless bland add ons or poorly re-drawn old maps (eh MW3ers?)

The good old days. You can't beat them. Sigh. smirk
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jun-12 00:13:09
Print Post

Went back to MW3 tonight and it bored me to death really quickly,the only thing i like about it our the guns and the fact its a lot easier to kill and be killed by someone than Battlefield.

Battlefield my shooting and aiming is pretty dire if i am honest even though i still manage to finish on top or in the top 3 in the mode i play on most occasions..........Forgot the mode again but its basically capture the flag but called something else.

In all honesty im quite bored with gaming at present because not much grabs my attention,still like Battlefield but i may play max payne through again and Prototype 2.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jun-12 01:51:46
Print Post

Suit me fine - as long as they don't expect me to buy anything in game...

Follow me on Twitter. Be* My Blog
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to