Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Jul-12 13:32:29
Print Post

Ubisoft 'Uplay' DRM service vulnerability/rootkit

[link to this post]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-upl...
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4311264

O2 Home Broadband, Phone, Mobile
Pssst; O2's Broadband service has gone downhill fast in 2012, look elsewhere - I am!

Edited by RiffRaff (Mon 30-Jul-12 13:34:15)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Jul-12 15:50:33
Print Post

Re: Ubisoft 'Uplay' DRM service vulnerability/rootkit

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

Wonder if the web client thing for Battlefield 3 could also have a vulnerability...

Follow me on Twitter. Be* My Blog
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Jul-12 19:16:34
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

The way I read it is that a plugin is installed on your browser, that happens to be easy to trigger and has no validation built in (criminal).

Don't think ESN sonar would suffer that issue since it is a VOIP Client and plays wav/mp3 files.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Jul-12 23:34:56
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

The PC version also requires a browser plug-in too (Battlelog Web Plug-ins).

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Mon 30-Jul-12 23:35:29)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jul-12 05:09:23
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
The PC version also requires a browser plug-in too (Battlelog Web Plug-ins).
Well they are saying it's now been fixed

A mate was telling me that the battlefield 3 game uses a similar idea and that recently they stopped supporting IE8 So he is asking for a refund, because at the time he purchased the game IE8 worked , and they decided to change the goalposts,

Personally i think the idea of having to use a web browser is a stupid one, and will be one reason not to buy games that use this method of listing available servers,starting the game via the browser , for online game play and Ubisux can stick their Uplay where the sun don't shine for me

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Jul-12 09:18:48
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Personally i think the idea of having to use a web browser is a stupid one, and will be one reason not to buy games that use this method of listing available servers,starting the game via the browser , for online game play and Ubisux can stick their Uplay where the sun don't shine for me

Yes, I stated that in my previous posts too... Aside from the possible extra problems it can cause security wise, it surely would have been easier to incorporate it in the main code...

I see no advantage of starting the program, click on the game type which then loads the program again...

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Tue 31-Jul-12 19:19:21
Print Post

So your friend is asking for a refund but could easily just upgrade to IE9 or to any other free supported web browser that is up to date, not much of a problem is it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Aug-12 01:18:46
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
So your friend is asking for a refund but could easily just upgrade to IE9 or to any other free supported web browser that is up to date, not much of a problem is it.

The point that he is making is that he does not wish to install another browser, he don't like IE9 because it doesn't have the search provider box , which is why he uses IE8 , As said at the time that he purchased and installed the game IE8 was supported, But sometime later they decided to change this, He won't use another browser, so cannot play the game , because of their doing which was not part of the contract at the time of purchase

Although downloading firefox and installing it doesn't present any problem, he just ain't prepared to do it on principle

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 01-Aug-12 01:20:59)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 17:59:40
Print Post

Well EA support is likely to say to just update the browser or download one that is supported, their is also quite a few solutions/fixes to the IE8 search provider for IE9.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to