Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Thu 30-Aug-12 12:26:50
Print Post

BT infiniy FTTC any good for xbox live or psn?

[link to this post]

Hello all I hope I'm posting in the right part of the forums as my question is about broadband but for online gaming.

I am moving into a new house in nov/dec and openreach is enabling my cabinet around the end of September

What are people's overall experience with the product any problems or is it better than adsl/2/+?

I'm only a console gamer and have no experience with pc gaming and would very much like to hear any good or bad experiences.

Thanks all...
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Aug-12 15:12:45
Print Post

Re: BT infiniy FTTC any good for xbox live or psn?

[re: deepdishdj] [link to this post]

Personally i would not touch anything broadband related with BT even if it was free,one of the worse companies in the UK without a shadow of a doubt.

Anything to do with them be it Broadband,phone problems is such a stressful experience its painful,my mom has a BT hub and she is 75 and the problems she has encountered with making what should be a simple procedure like a phone call for help has turned into a 2 week episode of been shifted around from person to person who have not got a clue what department is best for her broadband or lack of it.

I remember moving into this house 3 years ago as its a new build and don't ask me why i even considered using them myself,all the phone points were in and we were apparently waiting for them to connect us,but funny enough when i rang them on the home phone line that was actually working they told me that i would have to wait for the phone line to be connected before i could enquire about Broadband.

I then told them i was actually talking to them from the landline which made the matter even more confusing so i gave up.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Thu 30-Aug-12 15:42:57
Print Post

I would post in the fibre section of the forum as you will get more responses from people using the FTTC services and with consoles.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Aug-12 19:42:27
Print Post

i will give you a gamer related warning about having such a good connection , if you play MW3 you will nearly always get host and the days of host advantage are long gone and now we have Lag Compensation that is a disadvantage to any body with a good connection and especially a disadvantage to who ever gets host .

Very happy on my market 1 connection with interleaving turned ( back ) on

Edited by woweebert (Thu 30-Aug-12 19:45:50)

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Aug-12 06:45:44
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woweebert:
i will give you a gamer related warning about having such a good connection , if you play MW3 you will nearly always get host and the days of host advantage are long gone and now we have Lag Compensation that is a disadvantage to any body with a good connection and especially a disadvantage to who ever gets host .

Very happy on my market 1 connection with interleaving turned ( back ) on
+1

Very good advice (sadly frown)
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Fri 31-Aug-12 12:58:36
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

I dont play any of the modern warfare games or black ops but I have heard that the lag compensation in those games is horrendous.

I did think about posting in the fttc section but as it is a gaming related question I thought I would post here as I am looking for gamers opinions on infinity.

At the moment I have BE adsl and Virgin fttc and use my BE connection for live as my virgin connection is terrible. I have seen a few tbb graphs of infinity and it looks pretty good.

All I am looking for is a stable connection and speed is not really a problem be it fast or slow and from what I have seen about infinity it looks like it has very low pings and minimal jitter.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:59:06
Print Post

Like T2D says, IF you have a problem with BT, their call centres will slowly but surely suck the will to live out of you. I'm currently on fttc with Aquiss, which isn't cheap but you get the service you would expect for the price. I am planning to move soon as the pennies count, and will probably end up with Plusnet.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Sep-12 07:34:35
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

MW3 has become unplayable to a member of our playing group since he upgraded to Infinity , in general he has had mixed results and not had the best of times playing BF3 , even thou that game has dedicated servers it seems it might have some type of lag compensation server side , on the Xbox console version anyway .

Its a ridiculous situation where thous that have invested in a quality internet service are being punished in favor of thous that have have not .

The greatest concern is more games developers are seeing lag compensation as the way to go but the real disappointment is BF3 with its dedicated servers , this could be bad net code or lag compensation ...

IMHO bad net code and lag compensation are one of the same .

I would actually like to hear from others that are on infinity and play console versions of games so i can build a more balanced view of what is going on .
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Sep-12 08:50:06
Print Post

MW3 has become unplayable to a member of our playing group since he upgraded to Infinity , in general he has had mixed results and not had the best of times playing BF3 , even thou that game has dedicated servers it seems it might have some type of lag compensation server side , on the Xbox console version anyway .
A perfect description of my experience with each of those games, the only difference being it is on the PS3.

I only get up to 1Mbps on ADSL, so I am planning to keep fibre for streaming etc and reinstate ADSL for gaming. A ridiculous situation that developers continue to ignore because so many people play on [censored] lines.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Sat 01-Sep-12 11:11:24
Print Post

Never heard so much, self serving nonsense “thous who have invested”, “continue to play excremental lines”, like everyone has choice. It about sums up all that is wrong about online gaming and mentioned platforms, closed elitist and bordering narcissism. @ OP Horses for courses, some FTTC stats i have seen around various post and forums makes me very unconcerned about Openreach their deployment.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to