Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User francisuk22
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 17:01:11
Print Post

PSN slow or virgin media routed issues

[link to this post]

Hi all.
I bought a PS3 about 2 months ago and i downloaded a demo fifa 13 demo from PS store, However im getting real terrible download speed.
It taken 71 minutes to download a 1.5GB fifa 13 demo. No one was on the network just me and my PS3 LAN light was flashing away so im asking is it me or is it virgin media routing issues, I had the same problem with OVH systems but that wasn't just me it was a high ping from my mates house aswell and hes on virgin media cable too, However my dads on O2 and hes ping was about 10, 12,11,9 so is virgin themselves but i found this website what explains it all http://p19.smokeping.ovh.net/ovh-server-statistics/s...

My speedtest shows 91.2Mbits download and 4.97Mbits upload and this is normal during the day but at night say 1am i get my full speeds. Last night about 1am i was downloading the fifa 13 demo game

So is this happening on all ISPs even on a LAN connection?

Now: Virgin Media XXL 100 Mbts Download 5 Mbits Upload
Previously had Sky Broadband Unlimited - 6 Mbits Download 768kbps Upload
Sky Fiber Broadband - NOT YET Been told 55Mbits Download 13Mbits Upload Max i can get

Edited by francisuk22 (Sun 30-Sep-12 17:06:59)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Sep-12 19:14:55
Print Post

Re: PSN slow or virgin media routed issues

[re: francisuk22] [link to this post]

I'm with virgin and it's always been slow

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 00:54:38
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Great Answer Swanny thats answered the blokes question and im sure he can not wait to get that sort of information again tongue

Edited by time2die (Mon 01-Oct-12 00:59:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Oct-12 01:12:24
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Ha ha. Liking the extreme sarcasm. laugh

But what about you T2D, you've got a PS3 and an internet connection. What kind of speeds do you get when you download PS3 demos? That would be an even more helpful reply to Swanny's, which at least did kinda mention his own experience.

Myself, I would not go near Virgin for all their traffic shaping and throttling. I expect even if I had 100meg down I still couldn't watch stuff on the iPlayer without it pausing to buffer every 5 seconds. My old neighbour's connection was shi.... Well, I won't go there. grin

So, the question is - is it normal to have a super stable, super fast connection and still receive slow download speeds from the PSN? Or is it just Virgin? I don't know as I don't have a PS3. And, though it's tempting to blame Virgin I expect the truth of the matter is Sony manage their bandwidth and serveer load in such a way to slow their users down lots. One way to prove/disprove that assumption would be to see if there was a difference downloading off peak in the dead of night but I think the OP's already done that. Or ask about? As he is doing. I'm a genius. And a boring git. I like writing unnecessarily long winded stuff just for Time2die as I know how much he loves to read my stimulatingly long posts to help him sleep at night. tongue
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 07:17:07
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

I doubt it's the PSN.

My FTTC maximum is close to 4.5MB (38Mbps ish) and is achievable on iTunes etc. I have never managed more than 1.5-2MB on the PSN but it never seems to drop below that, so I'm guessing that it is limited to around 16Mbps. That's more than adequate for the purpose though.

That said, the OP's reported speed is ridiculous and he should speak to Virgin about what settings are applied, as I had a friend on 10Mbps Virgin and he always downloaded at that speed. smile
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 09:30:27
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Actually i can download a lot faster from the 360 service than the Playstation network,i use a set of Homeplugs and at a guess a 1gig download would take about 20 minutes on the 360 and 20 days on the playstation network tongue.

When i do a connection test on the playstation it says my download speed is around 12 meg but its nowhere near as fast as 360 ,then you got the install procedure once downloaded and thats a chore .

Thanks Spook for making a return to the forums its nice to have another console gamers opinion tongue NOT.

Anyway Spook Dishonoured in a few weeks which is looking well nice,been playing Borderlands 2 but I'm kind of getting fed up with it already.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 13:38:01
Print Post

Unlike you T2D I don't feel the need to sprout out a load of nonsense when just a few words will suffice tongue

I let him know he is not alone and as far as I know (having a few friends in the same situation) it's like that for most people.
I'm on wi-fi so I imagine that doesn't help.

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 17:26:41
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Thanks Swanny glad you understand tongueyou have been sprouting out a load of nonsense for the past 12 months regarding Battlefield 3 wink

Edited by time2die (Mon 01-Oct-12 17:27:48)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 21:57:49
Print Post

Can't help myself wink

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-12 00:30:04
Print Post