Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 25-Nov-12 16:54:04
Print Post

3D gaming TV AMD help

[link to this post]

Hi just been looking for a new TV and although i was not looking at 3D specifically i cane across this TV on ebuyer cracking value it says its 120hz and in description says Available in HD 3D YES, dose that mean if i use a AMD 5xxx-7xxx card the TV would work with 3D (like Nvidia vision) or even be able to use with Nvidia 3D vision (i prefer Nvidia cards) im in the market for a new card and if this TV dose support it i might as well get a card that also supports it and use it for films/games just use a xbox control when wanting to play on TV loll, cant find much info about the TV on google so thanks for any help

Ash

EDIT

Seam to of found it after all after manually looking on there site via their menus Think this is it

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - Speed To be seen

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 25-Nov-12 17:15:03)

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Nov-12 22:52:37
Print Post

Re: 3D gaming TV AMD help

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Don't know about this but it might be best to check either Nvidia or AMD's 3D vision support sites.

Here's Nvidia's

As you can easily imagine, their list of supported HDTVs is really short as manufacturers never bother updating their support sites properly. If it were me, I'd try to find out exactly what requirements were needed to support 3D gaming from either manufacturer to see if there is something more to it than having just 120Hz support.

AMD 3D

But as the price is pretty low, perhaps you could take a gamble or just ask Ebuyer if it would be all right to return the telly should there be a problem. Likelihood is they'll say no of course.

Then there's the AV Forums which are a great resource for this kind of question.

Lastly, Trusted Reviews sometimes review decent quality low budget televisions so might be worth quickly checking them out too. Again, there might be further issues to think about such as input lag, backlight issues (as 3D with glasses on requires often quite dark glasses on so you need a brighter set). I guess you also need an active 3D TV and not passive? Y'see, I bet you know a lot more about it than most of us do really.

smile
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 26-Nov-12 03:38:43
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
Don't know about this but it might be best to check either Nvidia or AMD's 3D vision support sites.

Here's Nvidia's

As you can easily imagine, their list of supported HDTVs is really short as manufacturers never bother updating their support sites properly. If it were me, I'd try to find out exactly what requirements were needed to support 3D gaming from either manufacturer to see if there is something more to it than having just 120Hz support.

AMD 3D

But as the price is pretty low, perhaps you could take a gamble or just ask Ebuyer if it would be all right to return the telly should there be a problem. Likelihood is they'll say no of course.

Then there's the AV Forums which are a great resource for this kind of question.

Lastly, Trusted Reviews sometimes review decent quality low budget televisions so might be worth quickly checking them out too. Again, there might be further issues to think about such as input lag, backlight issues (as 3D with glasses on requires often quite dark glasses on so you need a brighter set). I guess you also need an active 3D TV and not passive? Y'see, I bet you know a lot more about it than most of us do really.

smile

Hi thanks for the reply as far as i know Nvidias only requirement is 120hz and obviously a capable card but TBH the first capable card was the 8800GT so lets face it anything made in the last 5 years should run it lol probably a GTX 660 would be my choice in Nvidia cards but that's for active 3D but i know a little hack to get passive 3D working with it too ive done it for a friend with one of the LG passive monitor as the tridef software's a bit pants lol and AMD HD3D it passive anyway something like a AMD 7870 if going the AMD route

Its all a bit confusing the manufacturer site says it is passive 3D capable ebuyer just have the HD3D ready/yes next to it but no real mention in the listing about this fetcher then no once has mentioned this in the reviews,
As you say at that price you cant complain TBH 3D is not massive on my list if its got it, it will be really nice but if it don't im not going to moan too much at £250 lol, on the scale of things i do like passive 3D better as the specks only cost a quid and active ones do give me a bit of a headake after a hour so if you watch a film at 1.5 hours i either have to have a 15 min break or feel shocking after lol were as wih passive im totally fine.

The TV its selt to me is a bit bargain just 3 year ago i paid 400 for a 32" 720p set lol (my mother decided to nick it 6 month ago for down stairs though) so treating my self to one for xmas ive never been one for bothering with big brands unless their the right price because TBH ive never seen much of an advantage to them lol most of them

It is an LED TV which TBH go very bright i have an LED monitor and when u put it on full next to a standard LCD you can clearly see the diff i have it on about 40% and its still very bright so if it works out to be 3D i think that will be fine laugh

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Mon 26-Nov-12 03:58:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Nov-12 23:40:31
Print Post

Cool mate, I suspected you knew a lot more than me. The only time I've seen 3D TV is in the shops. Yeah, I picked up a pair of passive 3D glasses in Poundland the other day. They only cost a quid funny enough. grin Might come in handy one day I thought. smile
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 26-Nov-12 23:45:20
Print Post

Cool mate, I suspected you knew a lot more than me. The only time I've seen 3D TV is in the shops. Yeah, I picked up a pair of passive 3D glasses in Poundland the other day. They only cost a quid funny enough. grin Might come in handy one day I thought. smile

yea i got 3 pairs of those game them to my mate with the lg mon lol the box is almost identical to Nvidia 3D vision branding lol once i buy the TV (defo doing either ay at that price for spec) my m8s lending me his Nvidia GTX 660 Before i spend the money to test if it dont work with 3d im going to save 80 quid and get a GTX 550 i used o have one of those in my old pc and it maxed all my games but i know it would be too weak to max 3d lol were as the GTX 660 is more than capable should be in then ext 3 week got to get all the xmas prezzys paid for first lol so ill report back once ive purchased it and let you know smile

Ash

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Nov-12 23:52:33
Print Post

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how you get on. I'm using a 5870 and an old ccfl backlit Benq monitor. I know it will be upgrade time soon if FC3 is as good as it looks. Not sure about 3D gaming tho. Will have to see it in action first.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 08-Dec-12 18:47:19
Print Post

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how you get on. I'm using a 5870 and an old ccfl backlit Benq monitor. I know it will be upgrade time soon if FC3 is as good as it looks. Not sure about 3D gaming tho. Will have to see it in action first.

well just my luck i had money to get one this week thursday still 50+ instock friday sold out lol,

Ordered This will have to get a tv later i needed a new monitor either way my current ones on the blink but i cant belive my luck 2 weeks in stock the day i goto order sold out lol just like the google nexus 4 haha.

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps - Speedtest
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:23:55
Print Post

Yeah, the Nexus 4. What a farce, They sold out in less than half an hour didn't they? But they're back in stock now. Well, currently it's just the 16GB version.

Good luck with your monitor then. Those two comments on Amazon didn't look very inviting. Amazon are meant to be quite good in accepting returns though I hear so if the 3D doesn't work like one of the guys complains, you might still be okay. I expect it's just something he hasn't done himself just yet though. Bet it can be more than a little bit tricky sorting it all out.

The Nexus 4 is lovely by the way. Had a play with one and it's super fast and solidly built. Screen is very responsive to touch input too and call volume is good. Google are currently sending out orders so their estimate of 6/7 weeks delivery time might not be accurate. Only bad point other than the limited fixed storage is the claims the battery life isn't great. Hope they've fixed it with version 4.2 of Jelly Bean but that's something I need to look into myself.

FC3 runs well on my system actually in case you're interested. It doesn't seem to be too demanding though I have things on high rather than ultra. Will pump it up higher later when I get the chance.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 08-Dec-12 20:13:50
Print Post

Yeah, the Nexus 4. What a farce, They sold out in less than half an hour didn't they? But they're back in stock now. Well, currently it's just the 16GB version.

Good luck with your monitor then. Those two comments on Amazon didn't look very inviting. Amazon are meant to be quite good in accepting returns though I hear so if the 3D doesn't work like one of the guys complains, you might still be okay. I expect it's just something he hasn't done himself just yet though. Bet it can be more than a little bit tricky sorting it all out.

The Nexus 4 is lovely by the way. Had a play with one and it's super fast and solidly built. Screen is very responsive to touch input too and call volume is good. Google are currently sending out orders so their estimate of 6/7 weeks delivery time might not be accurate. Only bad point other than the limited fixed storage is the claims the battery life isn't great. Hope they've fixed it with version 4.2 of Jelly Bean but that's something I need to look into myself.

FC3 runs well on my system actually in case you're interested. It doesn't seem to be too demanding though I have things on high rather than ultra. Will pump it up higher later when I get the chance.

Yea i noticed the 16gig in stock but TBH still in contract dont wanna spend buckets on a phone but i do still want something good (halrd to find combo lol) and TBH i dont see the need for 16gig storage on my phone i only use the storage for apps and pics i take with the cam, my music is all on google play music so stream it all rather than use the phones storage so 8gig well more than enough,

I still need to sort a graphics card out lol that's got to wait till either next week or week after though got to get last xmas things bought and ive got a few bills next week, My mates going to fetch his GTX 660 over so i can try a few of my games in 3D (L4D2, WOW, sonic generations things like that lol)

Its as you say the person who put the comment on amazon most likely have not configed the software correctly my mate did not realize he had to use tridef with his LG passive 3D monitor and wounded why it did not work, till i told him & installed it for him and all was fine, He had a ATI card at the time but when he bought the Nvidia one i used a few hacked drivers to make Nvidia 3D vision work nattily with it by tricking it into thinking it was a diff brand monitor lol. Im not a fan of passive 3D though i like active better could of got a 23" passive for 120 quid but when i saw that Phillips at 200 for 27" active 3d (including a pair of specks that are most likely about 50 quid) i jumped on it as a bargain.

the only downfall i see if its 2xHDMI and 1x VGA i was hoping to trick Nvidia vision my self but Nvidia vision only works over Dual link DVI with active specks apparently, HDMI dose not have enough bandwidth to do 1080p at 120hz so shame there but i supose its not hard to remember to launch a game via tridef to play it in 3D lol

Ash

PS if you have steam add me acpsd775

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps - Speedtest

Edited by acpsd775 (Sat 08-Dec-12 20:14:15)

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:34:40
Print Post

Added you to Steam. I'm spooktooth on that (he says, checking).

I'm still playing a lot of Skyrim and no real online stuff just yet but I do have L4D2 (not played it yet tho!)

Interesting reading about your workarounds for getting 3D functional on different tellies. I remember soft-modding my old ATI 9800 pro to an XT via a BIOS flash. I've not done anything like that for a long while though. Nowadays, I just prefer to keep things as simple as possible and don't even overclock no more.

TFT Central and Anandtech have been useful resources for me in the past but I suspect you already know those two!

Yeah, that Phillips TV monitor thing looks like a good deal except for the lack of DVI as you say. It doesn't have a displayport then? I thought maybe things were moving in that direction nowadays? Hope you get it all working correctly over HDMI then. My next monitor's gonna hopefully be a 27"er too. Maybe with higher res and higher colour bit depth for photography tho. Depends on what there is out there that I can afford. Touch wood that my monitor lasts as it is. It's an expensive time of the year to be thinking about getting anything new.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to