Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 12-Dec-12 21:19:47
Print Post

AMD 7870 help

[link to this post]

Hi all some of you may know i just got my self a new 3d mon, so now looking for a new card to take advantage as my current card is not even supported anymore lol (ATI 4850)

in general ive always been an nvidia user from early 2000's only reason i have the 4850 is my friend gave me it to tide me on till i could afford a new card, So ill admit in general im not right upto date on whats good and whats not with AMD graphics.

i was going to get a Nvidia GTX 660 (none TI) because this is what a friend has and it wipes any game he throws at it thing is he dont play 3D so i dont know how it would perform with that, while looking on aria i come across this AMD 7870 bundle for the same price as a GTX 660 but as you see with 8 games included (have AMD really had to resort to bribing customers lol)

anyway can anyone tell me will this card be capable of playing games in 3D without major lag Here's a PS of my games list on steam easier to upload that than list them all lol ive got the odd other game like sims 3 and wow not on steam , Wow id be intrested in trying in 3D

Thank for any help

Ash

EDIT forgot to add system specks

AMD phenom 2 X4 B50
8GB DDR3 1333
500gig 7200 HDD+1TB 7200
Windows 8
27" 3D 1080p Philips Monitor

any other info needed just ask

Thanks

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps - Speedtest

Edited by acpsd775 (Wed 12-Dec-12 21:22:31)

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Dec-12 23:24:21
Print Post

Re: AMD 7870 help

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I'm out of touch with this too. As I mentioned, I've got an old 5870 and if I remember right, the 7870 isn't really an improvement on that (other than cost of course!)

Yeah. AMDs support and drivers... lots of bad reports on that. To be fair, I haven't really experienced a great deal of trouble with my card at all but I've had low requirements since I'm not overclocking or running crossfire/3D. I like a simple life!

If I was buying right now, I'd probably look more at Nvidia really. The 660 like you mention.

I've never really gone for the top end graphics card before I bought my 5870, which cost me about £300 back then. They're so expensive these days. I think I would personally be looking at about the £250 mark max just to make an upgrade worthwhile.

My own bias (not knowing anything about 3D) would be to go for Nvidia. I think reading what you said about it all has made my mind up on that front.

How's your new monitor going by the way? I'm still not sure about 3D, it's something I'd like to try one day when there are affordable glasses free tvs out there. I still don't reckon I'd like it for gaming though. I don't know why but I just feel it wouldn't add anything for me though watching bullets come out of the monitor would definitely be cool. I can live without the rest of it though.

Okay, so Bit Tech are a good source of info on hardware I find. Plus they have good active forums with plenty of opinion.

BitTech

And Overclocks.co.uk have active forums (don't know about the good part tho as I don't use them). And Scan's Hexus forums too. These people know about the products and what's due in that might be a good price. Bang for buck!

smile
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Dec-12 00:04:30
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Just buy a Playstation 3 or a 360 and you wont have to think about what upgrade you need every week wink

Or wait until the next generation next year.smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 13-Dec-12 05:17:21
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Just buy a Playstation 3 or a 360 and you wont have to think about what upgrade you need every week wink

Or wait until the next generation next year.smile

1 i cant stand xbox's and 2 getting a ps3 for xmas lol (used have one b4) but thats neither here nor there though lol i still prefer pc gaming lol just to the fact my 2 fave games are exclusive to pc lol im not that much of a hardcore gamer in general but the games i do own i like to run well, TBF i most likely still go on the SNES more than i go on any platform

Ash

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 13-Dec-12 05:23:32
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
I'm out of touch with this too. As I mentioned, I've got an old 5870 and if I remember right, the 7870 isn't really an improvement on that (other than cost of course!)

Yeah. AMDs support and drivers... lots of bad reports on that. To be fair, I haven't really experienced a great deal of trouble with my card at all but I've had low requirements since I'm not overclocking or running crossfire/3D. I like a simple life!

If I was buying right now, I'd probably look more at Nvidia really. The 660 like you mention.

I've never really gone for the top end graphics card before I bought my 5870, which cost me about £300 back then. They're so expensive these days. I think I would personally be looking at about the £250 mark max just to make an upgrade worthwhile.

My own bias (not knowing anything about 3D) would be to go for Nvidia. I think reading what you said about it all has made my mind up on that front.

How's your new monitor going by the way? I'm still not sure about 3D, it's something I'd like to try one day when there are affordable glasses free tvs out there. I still don't reckon I'd like it for gaming though. I don't know why but I just feel it wouldn't add anything for me though watching bullets come out of the monitor would definitely be cool. I can live without the rest of it though.

Okay, so Bit Tech are a good source of info on hardware I find. Plus they have good active forums with plenty of opinion.

BitTech

And Overclocks.co.uk have active forums (don't know about the good part tho as I don't use them). And Scan's Hexus forums too. These people know about the products and what's due in that might be a good price. Bang for buck!

smile

Hi mate

thanks for the reply were the 3D is concerned ive found out ya goto use tridef with this mon so the 3D part dont matter who ya go with its on = grounds there more just about having the power to run it in general lol.

The reason im wondering about weather or not this card will be good or not is mainly the games, added the value up on steam and they are actually worth more than the card its self including the games lol and a mate has said for any of the games i dont want hell give me some money for um because he actually wants all 8 lol so chance to make some money back on it too.

Ash

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Dec-12 06:02:08
Print Post

I Understand that mate i to was once a PC gamer but now I'm old and grey the days of starring at a monitor and playing games for hours are long gonewink
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 20:16:03
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
I Understand that mate i to was once a PC gamer but now I'm old and grey the days of starring at a monitor and playing games for hours are long gonewink

ok update got the card in the end even without help did a bita research and it seams as good as the 660 plus the 8 games were too good to pass on fter looking at steam and finding the games are worth £198 , 174 for the gfx card seamed a bit of a steal, needed a new card prompt so took a dive lol even if i cant max 3d out its not a loss as i know it should max games in normal mode just fine 3D is nice to have but it wont kill me to not use it lol i got it more for films than games TBF.

Ash

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-12 02:10:11
Print Post

Aside the from the newest games FC3/Warfighter/Hitman the rest are really cheap, steam is always full price unless a sale or offer, so not best to go on.

The card is not bad though would have made a post on Bit tech forums as their the best for hardware dicussions, though 3d is not really worth it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-12 09:19:41
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Aside the from the newest games FC3/Warfighter/Hitman the rest are really cheap, steam is always full price unless a sale or offer, so not best to go on.

The card is not bad though would have made a post on Bit tech forums as their the best for hardware dicussions, though 3d is not really worth it.

aye steam dont ever seam to lower price of anything sept on sales lol. but either way still worth it thought weather the games are expensive/cheap/old/new lol.

and yea i was actually looking at a 7950 to start with but it was £2xx with a free game and i thought to my self its a bit over kill all this just for odd 3d gaming i mean 3d movies will play on most low end cards so that's covered, so i hit the bullet and got that card saved my self a few quid, not the top but still a pretty good card if there's some games that wont max out in 3D then fair enough turn settings down and turn them back up for standard play lol

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Sat 15-Dec-12 09:30:30)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-12 21:22:18
Print Post

Your upgade is about 7 times better then the previous card you where on, so will be good for a few years, should not be a problem with most games though Shogun does have issues.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to