Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Jan-13 03:04:28
Print Post

Xbox 720 - Durango unveiled

[link to this post]

Nice diagram: VGLeaks

So far it looks like both Sony and Microsoft are going the AMD route, maybe even for graphics too. That leaves Nvidia out in the cold. So maybe that's why Nvidia are busy enterprising on their own...?

Also, Digital Foundry have a proper dissection on Durango Unchained.

Reckon these new consoles could well be released at a lower price point than last time (definitely for the PS4 at least of course). Though I guess there's quite a bit more stuff included with the 720 that's gonna up the price point a bit too. Looks like Sony and MS have tightened their belts in some ways (mobile chipsets and all): they're hoping to lock consumers into their respective media portals like Google and Apple (and Amazon!) Buy now, pay later (again and again). tongue
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jan-13 08:55:43
Print Post

Re: Xbox 720 - Durango unveiled

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Lets wait and see the final specs,based on those they don't look as good as i expected.
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Jan-13 09:06:13
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

It doesn't really tell you what's under the bonnet. Even the uber-geeks are finding it hard to fathom exactly how powerful the next-gen consoles will be.

I think, personally, that they will focus on functionality and both will be fighting for control of your living room space. It's not all about raw power any more. I think maybe that's gonna be the biggest distinction in the past evolution of games machines.

Anyway, enough speculation. Like you said, let's see what they bring when they're ready.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jan-13 09:30:25
Print Post

Personally Spooky Baby i want extreme power and could not really care about the cost of the consoles,but thats just me and based on what happened to the Playstation 3 and its price point of around £399 on first release i tend to agree with the fact that they will cut costs.

The playstation 3 price point basically killed Sony and that was for a console that cost just under £400.

Will be interesting to see what both Microsoft and Sony do come up with and at what cost,those Nintendo Wii U are over £300 not that I'm interested and i never thought i would say that about a new console.

For me Nintendo had a huge chance to get back into the mainstream Gaming and come out with something much more adult with much power.

What we have now with Nintendo is a glorified Ipad sized controller and a updated Nintendo Wii still with all this motion controlled gaming and duel screens.

I just hope and pray both Sony and Microsoft don't come to thew party with the same vision because all i want is a decent controller and a nice shiny powerful console,i dont want some stupid screen in any of the controllers and i don't want to have to frantically wave my arms about or jump up and down to play games.

Playstation move and Kinect both got thrown in the cupboard upstairs as i have tried as i might but to me this is just not a enjoyable gaming experience,besides you spend so much time calibrating the dam things and the sensors are just not up to it for a genuine enjoyable experience,besides that they don't perform very well in low light levels and nothing annoys me more than playing a game at night with floodlights on just so sensor bars operate correctly.

Edited by time2die (Wed 23-Jan-13 13:21:44)

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Jan-13 09:43:33
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Yeah, Kinect is coming back as it's built in but hopefully it'll work in lower light this time round. I reckon there's a very good chance there will be some level of control of TV functions with the new Xbox since there's meant to be a facility to record TV.

I'm with you on the concern about performance and sheer graphical power. There are two quotes about how many terraflops these new consoles process but you've gotta take a look and see what the current graphics cards are capable of in the same equation before you know what it means.

At the moment, it's probably a good guess that both consoles will have, I was gonna say top end AMD GPU performance of the 79xx series but having had a quick look at the spec there's no way they match that £300+ graphics card series. This is simply because these cards are pushing 3.5 teraflops and if I remember right, the new consoles (PS4) is a max of 1.5 TF. That's a lot less innit. But not forgetting there's no Windows OS in the way so hopefully that'll translate a little better in reality.

EDIT - correction:

PS4 = 1.84TF
720 = 1.23 teraflops

EDIT2

Not forgetting that currently the latest hardware (GPUs) is way more powerful than it needs to be, probably by several years. There's nothing these gfx cards can't handle. Not until Crysis 3 comes out anyway. Even my old 5870 (AMD Radeon) card can handle everything I've come up against (single monitor res at 1920 x 1200).

So, add the fact that there's no inefficient Windows OS and perhaps it's not so bad afterall?

Edited by SPOOKish (Wed 23-Jan-13 09:50:35)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Jan-13 13:24:47
Print Post

And Crysis 3 is out in a few months,obviously it will be on old generation consoles,but Crytek and a few other developers seem to be able to get some nice looking games out on ageing consoles.
  Print Thread

Jump to