Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Feb-13 10:24:18
Print Post

scam site warning

[link to this post]

Ok i warning about a site and a loop hole in PayPal's guarantee .

the site in question is " instagamepoints " you pick your item and there supposed to email you the code as soon as payment has cleared .

So im sure you can join up the dots , 11 days ago i ordered 4200 Microsoft points as i was going to buy a season pass for LagOps 2 ( yeah i know its a rubbish game ) . guess what no code !

So i contacted PayPal and and started a complaint to get my money back under the Paypal guarantee , to be informed by Paypal that electronic transaction are not covered under their guarantee ( no postage no physical item no guarantee ) in this country , so no money returned and sites still taking payment through Paypal .

If i had ordered my points from America or Australia , i would be covered under the Paypal guarantee but a little more research into this shows that i would not be able to get my money back if i had used a credit card .

So long and short don't buy anything on the internet that is not a physical item and im sure we are going to see allot more of these scam sites setting up now .

Edited by woweebert (Thu 07-Feb-13 10:37:30)

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 07-Feb-13 11:04:52
Print Post

Re: scam site warning

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

Quote: So long and short don't buy anything on the internet that is not a physical item !

i think that is a bit dramatic lol..

i buy audio WAV Files from http://www.beatport.com/ and have been for a number of years..

Never had any problems.Yea i know this is different from what you are talking about but the context of the above quoted line saying 'don't buy anything on the internet that is not a phsical item''

You were having a bit of a Joan collins moment there lol smile

VirginMedia100 TiVo1TB

Edited by djfunkdup (Thu 07-Feb-13 11:06:36)

Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Thu 07-Feb-13 12:13:15
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

It is in the Paypal T&C's as well in my Credit Card T&C's about "non-physical" items and has been discussed quite a lot of various forums over the years.

Also when buying MP3 and games of steam you are in fact leasing the products from them not buying them as you would if you bought the physical product. (although steam is a lot more complicated due to its online activation)

As with anything it is "buyer beware" in such matters.

What you could do to make trouble is to complain to the FSA as even just starting a complaint against PayPal costs them a £250 complaint fee which is paid for by PayPal and they "might" relent.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Feb-13 15:19:18
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

Sounds dumb but did you contact Insta directly and complain? There's a telephone number on their site and everything so they aren't trying to hide their identities like other companies. That doesn't mean they're sympathetic to giving good service though of course. Then there's always Trading Standards if you can't get anywhere with them.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Feb-13 15:29:41
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Yeah i spent 5 days trying to contact them , and over on moneysavingexpert there is a very active tread with lots of people not receiving their points .

Thing is , the site is still up Paypal are still taking payments and Lagops 2 map pack has not even been released on PSN and PC yet , so this is a real live warning for those on those platforms to not use this site .
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Feb-13 15:37:33
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

You can take the warning or you can have a global warming denial moment , im not saying all electronic virtual transaction are fraudulent , what im saying is " you got nothing you can do if it is fraudulent " and you want your money back .
  Print Thread

Jump to