Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Feb-13 00:26:26
Print Post

Steam Box ....I want one Quickly

[link to this post]

I want one of these please.

Edited by time2die (Wed 13-Feb-13 00:34:52)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 13-Feb-13 02:14:58
Print Post

Re: Steam Box ....I want one Quickly

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Its another wait and see what happens, very little has been said about the steam box so far but it could be risky for valve.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Feb-13 10:21:24
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Amazing though what these developers have squeezed into a 4 inch cube,not sure how it works though and im guessing its some sort of a online service for streaming games.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alexatkin
(learned) Wed 13-Feb-13 12:55:28
Print Post

Impressive for its size but looking at the specifications it seems only slightly more powerful than the Wii U. Its going to be FAR short of the next Playstation and Xbox.

My current PC has a GeForce GTX 660 in it with 960 cores, and that is literally the minimum I would consider worthwhile for a gaming PC, especially at the price range you are looking at. It also consumes about six times what the Steam box is likely to use, based on the X7A.

The smallest high-end gaming PC so far has been the Tiki and even with a custom motherboard, you aren't going to get much smaller.

In general, you need a case at least around the size of the original Xbox 360 and consuming slightly more power.
eg http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mini-itx-gaming-...

Edited by alexatkin (Wed 13-Feb-13 13:16:31)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 13-Feb-13 19:25:04
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

Thats not the steam box, as its a development stage product, its one of many potential steam boxes and it wont be released this year.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Feb-13 21:04:11
Print Post

Yeah, I've got a Steam box but it's a bit bigger than that thing. Actually, it's a lot bigger. Got my beast of a comp housed in a nice Lian Li tower case, all black aluminium. Mmmm. Lovely!

Like alexatkin, I'm a bit sceptical about the trade off in power and performance in such a small package. It's all right for casual gamers and those who are not expecting cutting edge graphics and mind blowing physics and stuff. Not sure you'd be all that happy but as with alexatkin's links, if you really wanted a living room pc then you could research it for something a little bit bigger.

There's no requirement to have one of the Steam boxes for playing games via Steam. Actually, Valve are really branching out and as well as Mac and PC support, there will be support for Linux (which will be interesting to see how it turns out). Gabe Newell has made a lot of fuss about the Windows 8 OS and so it's quite exciting to think that may no longer actually be a requirement in the future of pc games playing. Definitely could be onto something here. There are optimised games on Steam for armchair/hand controller playing. Don't know how effective they are though. Mouse and keyboard for me! tongue
  Print Thread

Jump to