Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User restarts
(learned) Mon 18-Mar-13 20:32:00
Print Post

Close to exchange = good ping = online unplayable

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm directly connected to my exchange at 200 meters and live in the westmidlands, I've been playing online since the release of cod4, I've had 5 or so different isp's, Had 5 or so different routers, I've never had a ping above 24ms, And every single game i've played has extreme lag compensation issues, All cod games, But black ops 1 and mw3 are 500% unplayable, BF3, BFBC2, Uncharted, Killzone.

Lag compensation is set to high in online games, Then out comes black ops and mw3 and set it even higher, It's just plain rediculous, I'm tired of having to shot people with half a magazine to kill them, I'm tired of getting killed by people who are ahead of me by 2 ,3 ,4 seconds, I;m tired of the abysmal hitdetection because of the lag.

I was thinking of switching to pc for online gaming, But i'm not going to spend £300+ on a gaming pc to find out it will be exactly the same.

Edited by restarts (Mon 18-Mar-13 20:34:26)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Mar-13 00:14:50
Print Post

Re: Close to exchange = good ping = online unplayable

[re: restarts] [link to this post]

£300 on a gaming Pc ,you having a laugh wink

You might get a half decent graphics card for that if your lucky and one of the latest nvidea cards will set you back £500.

You are talking at least a Grand for a half decent Gaming PC and that will be out of date 2 months later.

Regarding your problem then talk to mrnelster on these very forums as he has had the same issues on countless occasions,not sure if he still has these problems but i would PM the Granddad of gaming tongue and ask his advice as the old ones seem to know best wink

I would have thought it makes no different what you buy be it a console or a new PC,if your connection and lag or whatever online problems you are experiencing are bad why would it be any better online on a PC.

The only reason i could see it making a difference is the fact that many consoles online use the peer to peer format and a dedicated server may well be a lot better.........But what do i know.

Edited by time2die (Tue 19-Mar-13 00:18:31)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Tue 19-Mar-13 00:47:44
Print Post

Try playing on dedicated servers for console instead of p2p, as that should resolve alot of the issues.

PC gaming is mainly focused around dedicated servers, ignoring t2d as you wouldnt spend £500 on the latest nvidia graphics card unless you are a pc enthusiast (OC/modder etc), a decent pc will be between £500-1000+ depending on how much you want to spend- also games are alot cheaper then on console.

Check out the buyers guide below, a few things have changed but it gives a general idea of costs if you want to do a self build- the forum is good for build advice.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2012/0...

Orange BB 5856/448

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Mar-13 01:05:30
Print Post

Re: Close to exchange = good ping = online unplayable *DELETED*

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Post deleted by mrnelster
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Mar-13 01:09:38
Print Post

I believe some games on PC allow you to choose narrower ping bands. Someone on here once claimed you could actually make the players with a similar latency identifiable in game, so you know who is worth shooting and who isn't. I think that might have been COD 4? Can't remember to be honest.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Mar-13 01:20:24
Print Post

You could try the option on BLOPS 2 to search via connection quality. If you search for best quality, it will take longer to find a suitable game but can on the odd occasion give a slightly better experience. Search on mercenary mode so as to avoid parties, the whole point is defeated if people manage to invite their slower mates in. In theory they shouldn't be able to but it always happens.

I average a 9-10ms ping and have given up on online MP. What developers won't admit is that they know it is a problem but aren't prepared to change it. The majority experience being more important than that of those with the fastest connections.

Sorry! frown
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Mar-13 01:23:02
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

I haven't come across a dedicated server set up yet on the PS3 that makes any real difference at all. The ping bands it appears are too wide to make any dramatic difference.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Mar-13 08:14:05
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

And you know that £300 or a little more is not going to get you a decent gaming PC ,and actually if i was half interested in returning to the PC scene then i personally would spend £500 on the new Nvidea graphic card because i would want the best there is to offer.

Obviously its a ridiculous amount of money but thats whats expected been a PC gamer and the constant upgrades they require.
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Mar-13 09:45:25
Print Post

How are you connecting to the router? If your on WiFi, could you try a wired connection?

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Mar-13 11:33:21
Print Post

Remind me to never let you recommend a car, as I presume you only consider Bugati's

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to