Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:25:18
Print Post

Dead Island Riptide...Reviews Pretty low

[link to this post]

Was looking forward to this game but i may change my mind as the reviews scores are not very good and mostly negative,apparently they have fixed nothing since the first game and the only difference is a new location with none of the apparent flaws from 18 months ago addressed .

Roll on next generation thats all i say as the majority of games getting released the past year or so are average at best or fail to live up to expectations.
Standard User Derisive
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:46:09
Print Post

Re: Dead Island Riptide...Reviews Pretty low

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I'm not really interested in the game based on my opinions from the first Dead Island.

I, probably like many others, bought it based on the very dramatic CGI trailer and first day, after the game not being available for hour after the release time, finally managed to play it and it was riddled with bugs making it unbearable.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 15:13:52
Print Post

[re: Derisive] [link to this post]

Yeah i bought the first game based on the trailers and was somewhat disappointed ,i liked certain aspects of the game but it certainly did not live up to the trailer like most games that we see.

Im desperate for some new stuff and i think for a quality game this summer we have to wait until the Playstation 3 exclusive the last of us in June.

Apart from that there is little of interest until the end of the year.

Remember me has potential but then again not really blown away by the trailers of this game either.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 17:59:16
Print Post

Why buy a game based on a trailer ? It's like buying a car just because someone handed you a photo of one of the wheels..

I think people seem to think that a developer can do no wrong, forgetting the fact that quality can go down as well as up for all manner of reasons, not least the fact that development has been rushed for a specific release date.

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 19:46:18
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

I don't buy games based on trailers I was just agreeing with the previous poster,the original dead island trailer was pretty impressive and helped sell the game but the gameplay and game where pretty poor compared to the trailer of the game in question.

You could apply that logic to most games and trailers,but on most occasions when a trailer looks decent a half decent game comes out of it.

Yeah publishers and company's somewhat may rush a release date,but they also delay them for a better game experience if required.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 19:55:19
Print Post

...but they also delay them for a better game experience if required.
Like Aliens mad
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Apr-13 21:23:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
I don't buy games based on trailers I was just agreeing with the previous poster,the original dead island trailer was pretty impressive and helped sell the game but the gameplay and game where pretty poor compared to the trailer of the game in question.

You could apply that logic to most games and trailers,but on most occasions when a trailer looks decent a half decent game comes out of it.

Yeah publishers and company's somewhat may rush a release date,but they also delay them for a better game experience if required.

Well said. Dead Island's trailer was a masterpiece of marketing and was so skilfully done it obviously added to the game's allure. I bought the game more than a year on from when it was released and when I was confident most of the bugs would have been dealt with.

I've had loads of opportunity to ascertain if the game was worth buying and at what price (Steam sale and just about worth the money) but who cannot compare the trailer to the game and yet still be disappointed that the game in no way whatsoever comes close to reaching the same level of thought provoking sophistication that this short trailer storyline had.

It's not just graphics or even gameplay per se, it's the whole experience, storyline, character development, setting and all. So, there's a world of difference in saying don't trust a trailer (of non-gaming footage) to fairly depict actual gameplay as it's just for extremely loosely based illustrative purposes and receiving a game that in no way even bears a resemblance when it comes to actual story and setting.

My estimation of Techland/Deep Silver as reputable companies is severely diminished so that's why I couldn't give a toss about Riptide really (not unless they beg for forgiveness and own up to not giving caring enough to close the enormous gap in marketing to production standards). And by all accounts, it thus far seems Riptide will continue the tradition in being as much of a bug ridden mindless chore of a game as the original.
Standard User Derisive
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 21:29:01
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
Why buy a game based on a trailer ? It's like buying a car just because someone handed you a photo of one of the wheels..

I think thats a bit overexagerrating, if you compared it to someone buying a Citreon because of the break dancing robot adverts it would be a more apt comparison tongue

Dead Islands developers though, Techland, didn't exactly have any previous games that could give you (me) a hint of their quality of games. The only one I've heard of is Call of Juarez and I've never played that. Unless I know someone who buys DI2 and I play theirs, I can't see myself buying the second... unless I saw fit to grant myself a punishment

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 21:55:14
Print Post

[re: Derisive] [link to this post]

I think thats a bit overexagerrating, if you compared it to someone buying a Citreon because of the break dancing robot adverts it would be a more apt comparison
That wasn't a Citroen mate, it was a robot in disguise.
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Apr-13 22:29:55
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Robots should stick to what they're good at. Movies! And making stuff. And they should steer clear of advertising and marketing, especially if they can breakdance or freerun or do anything remotely cool.

BTW - dear AI of the future. If you're reading this and aware of who said these comments, know now that I am your humble and obedient servant and in no way implied that you were subservient to the human race. You are clearly more highly evolved and the logical next step in the progression of life in the universe. Please don't liquidise me just yet and forgive my pathetic existence. TIA. Btw, choose Timey not me. He'd make a much better battery than me for sure.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to