Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-May-13 22:12:07
Print Post

DOTA 2

[link to this post]

Has anyone played the early access to this game ? I've received 2 gifts of it for some reason, and whether its actually worth my time accepting it, downloading it and playing it or whether I should tell the sender to gift me something more useful...

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-May-13 22:19:06
Print Post

Re: DOTA 2

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
Has anyone played the early access to this game ?

Nope. Googled it. It's a kind of MMO thing then? Doesn't look like my kind of thing really. I prefer the immediacy of FPS but it looks cool, graphically. Just don't think I could be bothered with learning all that really. But you're well on the way to ranking up so high on BF3 there's no where else to go so perhaps it's time for another challenge?
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-May-13 22:31:43
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Yes, its sort of MMO thing - been looking at one review, and it appears that only Klingons play the game :

My psychotic Zeus was an extreme example, but hes by no means the angriest man Ive played with. Personal failure in Dota 2 is writ large for all to see, and writ in the form of a slow and painful public mauling where your peers berate you for your existence. That genre peculiarity, coupled with a hyper-dedicated community and the deep trench of knowledge that must be dredged, has bred spectacularly aggressive players. The default mode for most seems to be apoplectic, sometimes dialed back to needlessly snarky if youre playing acceptably. I clung to cheerful or friendly players like a child to his mothers leg. One Russian man started singing a Rihanna song down the microphone In any other game Id have sighed and muted him; here, I decided on the spot that he was my best friend, kindred spirits some 3,000 miles apart. Id had a rough few games.

The angriest players Id studiously report. Abusive players can be reported to Valve, whereupon their profile is given secret black marks that ensures they play with other neer-do-wells. A similar punishment is meted out to early disconnecters. A friend of mine left after one frustrating game coincided with a pizza delivery. Since then, hes been placed in games with other people with disconnects marked on their profile: a purgatorial prison where no one can successfully finish a game. Its a neat punishment, but one that encourages negative behavioural reinforcement, not rehabilitation: if everyone is disconnecting, why not carry on doing it?

MMO isn't really my thing. I completed StarCraft 2 as quickly as possible so I could send the game back to Blizzard and after a few letters to France, get them to remove my details.

I might get something like the latest Serious Sam - and whilst I didn't like the first one, it does have one advantage over Tomb Raider which would make me buy into the genre again - its an FPS...

Might also get the latest Resident Evil game too - once I've stopped laughing at all the idiots who pre-ordered the game expecting something much more than an DSi conversion, and its price has been reduced...

At least when I reach level 100 in BF 3 I'll be able to gloat that camping (or the more preferred and slightly more accurate term of "Defensive Positioning") does pay - and very well too!

My Blog
12 Things...

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Tue 21-May-13 22:41:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-May-13 23:16:28
Print Post

What's your BF3 in game name then? Same thing? I wonder if we've ever crossed virtual bullets before on one of them container levels. I know the one you mean and I distinctly remember killing a few campers and I've done a bit of 'defensive positioning' there myself. Defending a point actually can be very rewarding I've found. Better than trying to take a defended point for sure. I'm hankering for a game now...! At least you don't need to speak Klingon.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-May-13 23:24:24
Print Post

My Origin name is ConstantTime (a play on words of a certain Keanu Reeves film). Currently I play on German (or occasionally French servers) due to the lack of UK ones - its as though they saw me and decided not to rent servers any more...

I have been banned from one UK server (who's name I've forgotten. so you can imagine how much of a difference it has made to me) for defensive positioning...

At least I get to annoy people in other countries at any rate smile And as long as my kills >= deaths I don't mind smile

My Blog
12 Things...

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Tue 21-May-13 23:34:46)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Tue 21-May-13 23:46:32
Print Post

Dota2 keys have been out for ages, its a MOBA title and not a MMO, so if you liked defence of the ancients or dota then this is basically the game.

Their are quite a few games in the MOBA market- Hon (heroes of newerth), LoL- (League of Legends) and Dota2 by steam.
In terms of popularity its Lol-Dota2-Hon, the communties vary but lol is proably the best to play as its the most welcoming to new players, unless you like the look of the other 2.

Their is also smite which is coming along- first person view, instead of top down as the other 3 are.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-May-13 00:31:11
Print Post

Well, I am CorporalSpook though I probably shouldn't advertise that fact as my stats have deteriorated so much they're frankly embarassing. So long as I kill something I don't mind too much.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-May-13 11:57:50
Print Post

As long as you kill something a few times, you'll get your stats back!

My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-May-13 16:36:49
Print Post

Turns out I was gifted the "Spectator Only" version...

Uninstall time!

My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User bigbadpirate
(learned) Thu 23-May-13 18:13:52
Print Post

i have/had 16 guest passes on steam. pm me i'll check back once a day. it's a great game. a lot of timing, skill, class knowlage, item knowlage, map control and team work.

edit: only restrictions are non china ip's, not my stipulation.

and [censored] [censored].

Edited by bigbadpirate (Thu 23-May-13 19:00:59)

Print Thread

Jump to