Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Jul-13 13:03:44
Print Post

Freemium is the future...

[link to this post]

...according to EA at any rate.

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Mon 08-Jul-13 13:03:53)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-13 18:56:02
Print Post

Re: Freemium is the future...

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

No thanks EA

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Standard User Jaxx281
(committed) Tue 09-Jul-13 09:40:56
Print Post

Unfortunately it is the way the world is going and we are seeing more and more of it. I disagree with the freemium model in most cases as it always takes an extremely long time of doing something extremely repetitive to make any progress in these kind of games. I have played probably a dozen of them and each time I lose interest in them after a week or two of playing. The Simpsons tapped out that it mentions is one of their best money makes… I don't understand why! I played it for a while and all you do is build your own Springfield and set up "tasks" which is basically clicking a button to get a certain number of exp and money based over time e.g. Get Apu to work a shift in the Kwik-E Mart, takes 6 hours and you get x and y for doing it. Just seems like a glorified Farmville crazy

Saying all that though there is one I play but it's more of an MMO style feel to it crossed with an RTS, it's based on strategy of units you put down against other units and you can spend real money on getting better items but you can't spend real money on upgrading your units, you just have to do them with resources you gain for playing the game and to me that is a much better way of doing it. There isn't that much of the "Pay to Win" aspect about it then.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-13 09:46:55
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

When I was on facebook I used to play farmville and mob wars. Two completely pointless games. Oneday I woke up and wondered [censored] I was doing wasting my time on them. Can't believe people pay money for upgrades to [censored] games

**EDIT Wow the censorship on this forum is fecking ridicules

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->

Edited by Lt_Swan (Tue 09-Jul-13 09:47:54)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-13 10:41:10
Print Post

As I have mentioned before, I do like Tapped Out. I do find it great fun, although if it wasn't free, I wouldn't have installed it, as I don't buy Android apps.

However it does have its problems : You have to wait for the developers to create new levels, and detection of objects could be better - having a fully paid app would possibly have increased overall quality, and there is no reason that updates should have stopped doing so.

Freemium breeds laziness - both in what it's used for, how its done and how it's treated.

I can't help but laugh at people who have brought things for Tapped Out, as they aren't really needed. Its a perfectly workable game without them.

My Blog
12 Things...

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Tue 09-Jul-13 10:59:05)

Standard User Jaxx281
(committed) Tue 09-Jul-13 11:55:39
Print Post

Yea that's fair enough and if you are not putting any money on it then that's great. I don't get people who put money on those kind of games when all you are paying for is things that are cosmetic such as a prettier building or something.

On the one I play at the moment I worked out the other day if I do want to have the best kind of equipment I need to spend about £65 which seems like ludicrous and I can't believe people pay that much. I have spent a lot of time on it so I wouldn't mind putting a little bit of money in, but when I can buy a full release game for £39.99 which has much better graphics, gameplay etc. then it seems like such a bad deal for the gamer.

You shouldn't have to spend hundreds if not thousands of hours on these games to get anywhere, but then it's the people who are spending all the money on it that are making the industry go this way. I just don't like the sweeping generalisation from the EA man that "The customer has spoken" as I am certainly not one of those customers.

That Real Racing game my friend plays it, if you want the Koennisig (sp?) then you have to spend £69.99..... £69.99 for a virtual car!!! It's crazy, you could buy Need for Speed or Gran Turismo for £39.99 and get that car in the game, these kind of games really appeal to peoples competitive nature and wanting to "be the best and have the best". It really is a license to print money.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-13 15:17:40
Print Post

It does, of course, help to facilitate some people's desire to have the lastest/best/fastest thing no matter whether it is actually needed or not...

My Blog
12 Things...
  Print Thread

Jump to