Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-13 21:37:26
Print Post

Steam client update installs uneeded microsoft bloatware

[link to this post]

As per title the latest steam client update, downloads many updates to net framework and visual c++ but users report that the updates are older file versions than what they had installed already, and that they don't need all the visual c++ versions ie 2005 2008 ,2010 to run their games, niether do i'm currently uninstalling all the mess that i didn't want or need , just a heads up for anyone else who uses steam

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 09-Jul-13 22:18:04)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-13 22:24:12
Print Post

Re: Steam client update installs uneeded microsoft bloatware

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Its probably due to the fact that they sell some really old stuff that may need it...

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-13 01:15:55
Print Post

Re: Steam client update installs uneeded microsoft bloatware

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

I can't agree with that, because the updates that it wanted to install where older versions /updates that where included in the most upto date package of Net framework 4 and the same thing with the visual c++ re dists, i had 2005 latest release installed on my pc , the even the newest game doesn't require version 2008 &2010 , not onluy that the update wasn't a game update/patch ect, is was a steam client update, steam doesn't need all that bloat from microsoft to run either

I did a system restore in the end as something screwed up my lan driver , after which i uninstalled steam and downloaded the latest version from the steam web site, this time all it installed was itself no bloat from MS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to