Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Jul-13 14:57:00
Print Post

China Is Ending Its Ban on Video Game Consoles

[link to this post]

Since the year 2000, video game consoles have been banned in China. According to a new report, however, that is about to change. Video game consoles could soon be legal in the world's most populated country.

The South China Morning Post is reporting that the Chinese government is expected to reverse its 13-year video game console ban.

Kotaku

Whaaa? I hadn't thought about it but never even realised games were banned in China, at least "officially" since there's always been a thriving black market. Nothing much will change but it's interesting to note the criteria for what gets a game banned by the Ministry of Culture:

• Violating basic principles of the Constitution
  • Threatening national unity, sovereignty, and territorial integrity
  • Divulging state secrets
  • Threatening state security
  • Damaging the nation's glory
  • Disturbing social order
  • Infringing on others' legitimate rights

Funny that they'd originally banned gaming for concern about its affects on children's mental and physical strength. Guess they were concerned about their kids becoming a nation of overweight layabouts.

I'm guessing that Battlefield 4 won't stand much of a chance for passing itself off for wholesome Chinese gaming then, not without a significant overhaul at any rate. It'd be nice to see a mod whereby the villain becomes the US as (arguably), it should be. wink tongue
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-13 16:17:13
Print Post

Re: China Is Ending Its Ban on Video Game Consoles

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
It'd be nice to see a mod whereby the villain becomes the US as (arguably), it should be. wink tongue

I won't argue with that smile

Swanny MX
>>>-----knee---->
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-13 21:51:27
Print Post

Re: China Is Ending Its Ban on Video Game Consoles

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

You forgot:

Creates unnecessary distraction from hacking studies.

tonguesmile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to