Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Aug-13 08:29:13
Print Post

Dying Light

[link to this post]

Has anybody seen this yet?

I enjoyed Dead Island, but it got tired really quickly; a combination of lack lustre storytelling and repetitive missions. Survival yes, horror no.

From this video, Dying Light looks like a much better effort, with free running added to the free roaming. It's quite a long gameplay video, but stick with it. The "boss" type event showcased around 6 minutes look like an improvement on Dead Island's repetitive meleeing (I doubt that is a real word crazy) but for me, the coming of darkness toward the end of the clip is where the horror element really looked like it will be effective.

Dead Island handled in much the same way as Far Cry 3, but without the story to back it up and far too much driving. At least in FC3 you could stop off and assault a base camp. Though Dead Island encouraged you to do the same, it was never really stategic, just endless meleeing (confused). Dying Light at least promises a little more of a challenge, and I like the free running/climbing element.

Any thoughts?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Aug-13 09:00:42
Print Post

Re: Dying Light

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Looks ok mate,same people who done dead island and same boring Australian voice overs.

Graphically it looks very good and it even has a touch of Mirrors edge in the running leaping mechanics,but i can not help thinking this game will become very tedious very quickly.

Have to wait to see what develops next year when it ships,plus with next generation well and truly out then developers will have to up there game as us Gamers with new machines will expect more.
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Aug-13 22:44:51
Print Post

Re: Dying Light

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Looks ok mate,same people who done dead island and same boring Australian voice overs.

Graphically it looks very good and it even has a touch of Mirrors edge in the running leaping mechanics,but i can not help thinking this game will become very tedious very quickly. If I'm proved wrong then I'd be happy to consider it but I'd wanna know a lot more about it than some videos. A complete walkthrough video would probably do it and lots of 90%+ scores...

Have to wait to see what develops next year when it ships,plus with next generation well and truly out then developers will have to up there game as us Gamers with new machines will expect more.

Agree with that. But...

I would not personally touch this game with a barge pole after playing the ever-so-tedious Dead Island and don't trust the devs to a) produce a good meaningful story and b) provide meaningful unrepetitive gameplay.

The free running aspect is ok, running away and ignoring the tedium of constant zombie bashing and equipment repair makes sense in this game as there is no reward, well not in the original Dead Island anyway. Played it to the end and wondered why I'd bothered. This game could probably do with more meaty ranged weapons to take the zombies out - lots of guns and lots of ammo. Zombies don't have much personality and respawn the moment your back is turned so there's sod all point clearing an area other than for carnage (and you can't go nuts with a flimsy baseball bat or axe as you'd like to). tongue

If you've got to hold the sprint key down all through a game what does that tell you about its gameplay quality? Well, Mirror's Edge was probably the exception as was Daley Thompson's Decathlon. What's the point in having zombies if you're compelled to just run away all the time. Having a bow and arrow or something might've made the nighttime mode more fun but legging it around a garbage strewn city doesn't do it for me. crazy

Edited by SPOOKish (Mon 19-Aug-13 22:46:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to