Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Sep-13 01:14:24
Print Post

OFT may get tough with Freemium game developers

[link to this post]

Yeah, right. The OFT's gonna maybe issues guidelines that essentially warn people they may be ripped off when playing freemium games.

Story

So, yeah. I'm not a fan of the 'freemium' games model. I can see how it was developed in the Far East to get some revenue for games devs who'd otherwise lose out to apparent normalised piracy where copyright laws didn't effectively exist but it's not really a model I like to see becoming standard for the West. I'm not completely against it at all but there's gotta limits and I think you can only trust some form of regulation to do that. GTA Online is gonna have micro transactions in it but will these be value for money or not? I expect BF4 will have more ways for players to continue paying out for the game after they've purchased a copy on release and yeah, hopefully it'll be superfluous stuff like face paint and custom dog tags but really? Where will it stop? And, it's about making a whole LOT more money than simply game studios merely surviving.

When it comes to guidelines I'd like them to have some force in them too like some oversight that stipulates the maximum spend one game title can squeeze out of users. I'd limit it at say £60 top which must be reflective of how much 'value' there is in a title. So, we're used to seeing AAA rated titles with huge multimillion pound budgets charging a lot on release (£50-60) but that's value compared to spending the equivalent on a mobile phone game with blocky graphics and very limited scope.

Someone very recently introduced me to a game called Zombie Frontier or something and though I well enough suspected it was a freemium game and was reluctant to install it on my phone I did so anyway just to satisfy them really. It's a social experience sometimes (peer pressure eh?) I'm old enough and sensible enough to make my own choices but still. Anyway, I'm not great at the game (but not dire either) which is a kind of FPS and there's enormous pressure to pay out for extra ammo and upgrades to take some of the pressure off. Again, my decision but the prices are ridiculously high in my view. I can't access the game right now but the top value pack was close to £80 or something. The other cheaper options I could see would quickly expend themselves so they didn't look very good value at all.

But... hang on? A mobile phone FPS that's not exactly on par with today's console/PC shooters. I mean, there's a lot lot less entertainment in it than even BF1942 and BF2 and games from yonks ago. And they want £80??? And that's good value too compared to a lot of the other schluck I've read about in similar articles on in-game micro transactions.

I'd hate to be a parent and especially one who wasn't tech/game savvy enough to keep their kids away from what I see is a very morally dubious form of making a living through in game payments. Yeah, it can be done right and more can be done to secure payments through having adult level payment authorisations but this won't stop kids whining and putting pressure on parents to unlock such and such in their iOS/Android games will it?

Read the BBC article and you'll see some of the (underhand) tactics devs use to illicit money from their target gamers. Pretty disgusting in my view but you may feel differently. I'm not saying ban in-game transactions but man, there's gotta be a whole lot more that needs doing to properly protect consumers. It's no surprise the top app earners are often the free ones.

Yours more than slightly annoyed at this

Spook of Tunbridge Wells

crazy
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Sep-13 08:56:37
Print Post

Re: OFT may get tough with Freemium game developers

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Thats why Candy Crush which in theory is a good little match puzzle game gets on my tits,having to wait 30 minutes for 5 more lives and pop ups asking you to buy this and that or the option to keep buying lives.

Having to have Facebook integration to move through the game levels is another joke,constant spam of your friends to unlock them or send them free lives does my head in.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 10:04:06
Print Post

I don't like all this pay extra stuff they are moving towards. I paid extra for premium membership on bf3 but only because it was the cheapest way to get the extra maps/game modes.
All the BS about queue jumping and getting new skins/tags etc didn't interest me and I certainly wont be buying face paint or any other [censored] they try to sell to me in bf4.
They can easily make a gun that owns everything else on the battlefield and then put a price tag on it. mad

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
laugh

Edited by Lt_Swan (Fri 27-Sep-13 10:05:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 10:06:24
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Facebook in games really [censored] me off too. I don't do facebook and don't ever want to and even if I did I wouldn't want it knowing what games I'm playing. Feck off facebook you nosey [censored] smile

Swanny
laugh
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 27-Sep-13 15:51:58
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

pc and console games have caught on to this bad trend also.

I got invited to a beta test of a war game on the 360, and I played it for a bit, inside is tons of stuff where you can buy upgrades, new tanks etc. with real money.

Hearthstone a new pc game from blizzard which is currently hugely popular also has a pay to win metric. People have guestimated to buy everything possible you spending 4 figures, and even then you have to pay everytime to play in its arena.

DLC I am guessing is much more profitable than some have realised, giving profits post game release, and also from 2nd hand buyers, the pay to win process I am guessing will be even more profitable. PEople will think oh its just £1 no problem, but 2 months down the line you have done that £1 100 times.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 17:57:31
Print Post

I hear ya SPOOK.

I don't mind paying for extra maps, as long as I get 10 or so off the bat with the initial purchase. It's a way of keeping games fresh, if you don't want to move on to something else.

But micro transactions I hate. I bought a Vita game a bit back for £1.50 and recommended it to O.A.P Time. Total Recoil is a great little shoot 'em up where you collect coins to level up your weapons. Trouble is, after the first few levels you just can't pick up enough coins to upgrade to the level of weapons you need to succeed in the higher levels. That makes the game incomplete-able without further micro transactions and I don't think that should be allowed.

If you can take part in every level but just not be competitive, then so be it. But not being able to progress without paying extra is a rip off that needs to be clearly stated at the time of purchase.

Shysters!! mad
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:15:10
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Don't take any notice of your recommendations after your pre/ order of KNACK on the Playstation 4, told you that a lobotomy is in order tongue

Yeah I did buy it and its half decent but nothing fantastic....easy come easy go...

Mind you I spend about a tenner a week on Apple ISO games...wink

And most of them end up been pants .

Timey
Standard User astateoftrance
(member) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:02:18
Print Post

Yeah I am not a fan of this freemium model at all. The best thing to do is to vote with your wallet and not support any of this nonsense.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 20:15:09
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
Yeah I am not a fan of this freemium model at all. The best thing to do is to vote with your wallet and not support any of this nonsense.
^ ^ ^ Wot he said.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 21:53:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yea money for old rope
I'm too long in the tooth to get taken for a ride like that. I don't mind paying for new maps too much but if they start taking the [censored] they can feck off smile

Swanny
cool
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to