Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 15:10:51
Print Post

Blockbuster back in administration

[link to this post]

DVD and games rental chain Blockbuster is to go into administration for a second time, says its owner, private equity firm Gordon Brothers Europe.

Watch out Timey!!! crazy

Make sure you get your money first. smirk
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 16:19:52
Print Post

Re: Blockbuster back in administration

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Do you know something Spook i new this this morning and guess why ?

When i popped up my local high street i thought i would drop in and speak to the manager i know and chat with in my local Blockbusters as i thought i may pick up a copy of Assassins Creed Black Flag to tide me over for a week or so.

And Guess what i was told,apart from 10 pre/orders they had for the game they had not one single spare copy of the game for sale neither did they normally have there 15/20 allocation of a AAA title for rent.

I said to the manager there is something quite not right here when you have a game as big as Assassins Creed come out today and you have no copies to sell and no plans to get the game into your shop.

I bet all the people who have ordered Playstation 4 and Xbox Ones from Blockbusters are a little concerned and worried.
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:44:50
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Cripes, yeah. You're right. Same refusal to stock Game stores by the games publishers, EA and co. played a not insignificant part in the chain's ultimate demise didn't it?

Not having ACBF is absurd really. Had a look at a review today and they say it's a lot like AC3, a few too many activities with too little depth. That was kind of the point I was trying to make about AC3 that despite the stunning landscapes and game mechanics you don't get any opportunity to capitalise on them, which is just plain silly. A bit like having a game store without any games!

Another one bites the dust then I guess. What is happening to Britain's high street? Wonder how long it'll take Argos to go the same way as Woolworths. Some of the prices at Argos for now year old tech are just silly as I noticed on a camera price comparison site. Don't they know their inventory? They gotta shift stuff fast and keep stuff like technological goods low stock if they depreciate quick.

crazy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 18:10:50
Print Post

All those who've preordered their PS4s and XBOs from Blockbuster's are gonna be disappointed.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 19:27:59
Print Post

To be honest online game sites without all the overheads are killing the shops and stores along the high street.....and because they are so good and efficient at getting the games to you before you can actually officially get them why go anywhere else.

Besides even before the Administration for the second time this year ,there stick levels quite honestly are appalling and they really don't intice anyone who has a big interest in games to even consider using them..

I use them purely as a trade in function and never in my wildest dreams would I have placed a pre/ order for a console from them.....would rarther use that other useless place AMAZON...
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 19:43:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
All those who've preordered their PS4s and XBOs from Blockbuster's are gonna be disappointed.

That is absolutely disgraceful and to add insult to injury where are all these poor hundreds of people now that have put there faith in Blockbusters going to get a Launch console.

If they survive and that's a BIG if then based on this news and there track record how many people would trust them in the future by not at least honering pre/ orders.

So if someone decides to dig them out of this mess why would you even go there to buy a Mars bar nevermind any DVD ,games ,ect .....thousands of people are going to be very very angry and I would be furious.....mad
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 20:46:17
Print Post

I doubt it was Blockbuster's choice not to honour pre-orders. Being in Administration, their credit-worthiness is essentially nil. The Administrators can continue to trade, and will want to do so if there's any hope of saving the business as a going concern. However, they can only take on liabilities that believe they can discharge, and they may have to issue undertakings to suppliers in order to obtain goods. It's doubtful that there's enough cash and other ready money in the business to pay suppliers for a sizeable value of console preorders in advance (or to issue undertakings to buy them on credit), so cancelling the pre-orders is the only other option.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Oct-13 00:14:14
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I understand where your coming from but that does not help the poor people that have put the trust and faith in Blockbusters as a company with there pre/orders when they could have gone elsewhere .

Try explaining that to your small child who could have been ordered one for Christmas only to be told Santa is not coming this year.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Oct-13 07:59:38
Print Post

I know it's disappointing to let a child down, though there have always been shortages of "the big thing" at Christmas, and the stock that would have gone to Blockbuster customers will still be available somewhere, albeit not to those who thought they had their place reserved in the queue. Hopefully Santa can bring something he has, with a promise Mummy and Daddy will make good when the elves have caught up.

More importantly, so long as no money had been paid, at least there will be no financial losses for customers to face.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Oct-13 08:46:31
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Well all Blockbuster Pre/orders require deposits,with a console its £20 and games £2.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to