Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Nov-13 09:50:33
Print Post

Playstation 4 V Xbox One….Power.

[link to this post]

There are a lot of unhappy Xbox One future owners on the internet and lots of reports regarding how drop dead gorgeous Battlefield 4 looks on a P4 compared to the Xbox One.

Also its been confirmed that Cod Ghosts runs at 1080p on a Playstation 4 but only 720 on a Xbox One.

check this Read out.

Sort of glad they had run out of pre/orders of xbox one because i was tempted…….

Funny Stuff

Edited by time2die (Sat 02-Nov-13 10:14:11)

Standard User astateoftrance
(committed) Sat 02-Nov-13 10:23:52
Print Post

Re: Playstation 4 V Xbox One….Power.

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

So developers are not using the infinite power of the cloud from day one as some people said they would? Very surprising tongue

Before anyone says they will jump ahead of Sony in the future because of the cloud we have already established the PS4 offers the same capability if developers choose to use it.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 03-Nov-13 02:24:31
Print Post

to be honest although I think the xbox one is not having a good time with its weaker hardware situation, I think people moaning about a game been at 720p instead of 1080p are been silly. I can hardly tell the difference and I personally find 480p good enough for games.

it will be funny if the ps4 version has framerate issues as a price for that higher resolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Rmyvi9wew

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Nov-13 04:09:07
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I think people moaning about a game been at 720p instead of 1080p are been silly. I can hardly tell the difference and I personally find 480p good enough for games.
I totally disagree. Unless you are twitch shooting, COD or CS style, a locked 30 frames at 1080p is a much better compromise. Definition is far more important to me than high frame rates.

Online chess players might settle for 480p, but I wouldn't.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Nov-13 09:50:37
Print Post

And if I'm totally honest although 1080p is obviously better when i watch the videos i hardly can notice any difference.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Nov-13 11:27:57
Print Post

That's because the xbone is upscaling to 1080 and because YouTube reduces the definition too. I think the definition is absolutely crucial to claiming to be next gen. It's the key advantage PC has had over the consoles and IMO the main thing developers should be striving for, WITHOUT compromising on texture detail.

The Uncharted series and more recently TLOU looked fantastic visually. But on close scrutiny you would never be able to escape that "layered" look. The feeling that everything has been pasted together. A native resolution of 1080 is the logical next step. There is no point to increasing draw distance and the amount of textures without it and that is where the divide will become more apparent over the next 18 months. Where the PS4 will be clinging on to PC gaming's coat tails over the next couple of years, I expect the Xbone to struggle to do the same. And any methods it employs to try to match that resolution may mean IT will suffer from frame rate issues and not the other way round.

We all know the PC has had the best looking games, but argued over which is the best room in the house to play and that the sofa is better than the office chair. Now that the quality compromise has been dramatically reduced with the PS4 (for now at least), are we really going to claim it's not that important? Me thinks not, sire.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Nov-13 15:03:48
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

I much prefer my Sofa to some office desk and chair,especially now in a few short weeks when the new consoles finally give us that upgrade that we been longing for for years
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 05-Nov-13 07:08:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
I think people moaning about a game been at 720p instead of 1080p are been silly. I can hardly tell the difference and I personally find 480p good enough for games.
I totally disagree. Unless you are twitch shooting, COD or CS style, a locked 30 frames at 1080p is a much better compromise. Definition is far more important to me than high frame rates.

Online chess players might settle for 480p, but I wouldn't.

bear in mind I dont play FPS games, FPS seems to be the only genre where people are so paranoid about resolution. From where I sit FPS is the main driver behind the next gen consoles.

You talk as if 480p is some kind of unplayable resolution, when its not. Chess can be easily played at 100p.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 05-Nov-13 07:10:14
Print Post

That's because the xbone is upscaling to 1080 and because YouTube reduces the definition too. I think the definition is absolutely crucial to claiming to be next gen. It's the key advantage PC has had over the consoles and IMO the main thing developers should be striving for, WITHOUT compromising on texture detail.

The Uncharted series and more recently TLOU looked fantastic visually. But on close scrutiny you would never be able to escape that "layered" look. The feeling that everything has been pasted together. A native resolution of 1080 is the logical next step. There is no point to increasing draw distance and the amount of textures without it and that is where the divide will become more apparent over the next 18 months. Where the PS4 will be clinging on to PC gaming's coat tails over the next couple of years, I expect the Xbone to struggle to do the same. And any methods it employs to try to match that resolution may mean IT will suffer from frame rate issues and not the other way round.

We all know the PC has had the best looking games, but argued over which is the best room in the house to play and that the sofa is better than the office chair. Now that the quality compromise has been dramatically reduced with the PS4 (for now at least), are we really going to claim it's not that important? Me thinks not, sire.

AA, textures, performance, gameplay etc all more important than resolution, Bumping up resolution doesnt automatically make things look better. On a pc game (where have options to mess with visuals), a game will look better eg. on ultra setting at 800p than low setting on 1080p.

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Nov-13 07:44:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

AA, textures, performance, gameplay etc all more important than resolution, Bumping up resolution doesnt automatically make things look better. On a pc game (where have options to mess with visuals), a game will look better eg. on ultra setting at 800p than low setting on 1080p.
If you are playing Pokemon or Skylanders perhaps. If you want a greater draw distance there is absolutely no point in adding detailed texture to it if you don't improve the definition, whether FPS or not. And I want a greater draw distance when hurtling towards that digital horizon. If you don't play fast paced action games, you won't subscribe to the same criteria of "bleeding edge" game design.

And I haven't said 720p isn't any good, but it certainly isn't "as good" as 1080p. GTAV is probably not your cup of tea either, but if you had played it you would understand why 1080p could make a great game, a legendary game.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to