Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Nov-13 01:18:02
Print Post

Reaction time, latency and broadband - how fast is fast?

[link to this post]

There's a cool video clip of a robotic hand playing the 'rock, paper, scissors' game against a human opponent and winning every single time. They say we puny humans can barely compute response times between 30-60 milliseconds let alone respond in this time-frame but this robot can do it in just 1ms and to us, mere apes, it looks instantaneous.

So, I got to thinking what about gaming online and that old chestnut, latency or lag? Appreciably, those experiencing poor connections realise there is more to a bad connection than just how fast a packet of data travels to and from one host to another - the response time - and many of us know what it's like playing at pings of 150ms or higher or playing against others who are rubber banding like crazy online, so how fast do we really need our connections to be, seeing as how most of us are not exactly gifted with robotic reaction speeds ourselves?

I know Timey struggles to even light a fag these days and his eyes are shot, marbles all rolling about on the floor everywhere and Nels has chronic RSI through doing so much housework so can't move his fingers like he used to. Swanny's not exactly a spring chicken these days either so if you add our pathetically slow individual reaction times and factor in all the other routes of added latency, the monitor, wifi (controller), computer/console, router and then out into cyberspace how fast do you need it to be to make a difference I'm wondering?

Seems like 100ms of network latency is good enough for most no?

confused
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Nov-13 08:36:43
Print Post

Re: Reaction time, latency and broadband - how fast is fast?

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Great find SPOOK. smile

I couldn't even tell what flipping shapes it was making until it went in to slow motion. confused

I've got to be honest though mate, I think setting a datum point for latency (for gaming purposes at least) might be a misnomer. The difference between any given latencies is the important metric.

If I play split screen or with two consoles linked "intefnally" via the home router, the results are always balanced whoever I play. If I play the same people online the difference is always pronounced. Now here's the interesting bit. If we play online with seperate consoles, in the same room, wirelessly to the same router, one always thrashes the other. Why?

My take on it is that only one console can be host, and on a fast fibre low latency connection (99 times out of 100) it will always be one of us, but only one. Therefore one suffers host compensation, the other doesn't.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-13 11:29:17
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

My take on it is that only one console can be host, and on a fast fibre low latency connection (99 times out of 100) it will always be one of us, but only one. Therefore one suffers host compensation, the other doesn't.

So basically you are saying don't go for a fibre Super fast connection and stick with a Bog standard ADSL .

Thanks for ruining my future online play of Killzone Shadowfall if this is the case,I'm telling you now if i experience the same online woes as yourself mate and I'm guessing there is no reason that i won't then I'm going back to my basic ADSL connection if it effects online gaming in the way you say it does for you.

You sure its not just something wrong your end,there are plenty of people with Fibre on here that don't seem to have the same issues isn't there.

Oh looked what just dropped through the Letterbox……Cod Ghosts…..Playstation 4 version mad,[pitty blockbusters has stopped taking in any trade ins as this based on reviews would have remained in the wrapper and traded.

Edited by time2die (Tue 05-Nov-13 11:37:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-13 11:35:03
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Yeah that was so exciting i could not contain myself and had a little Sex wee in my pants……..Not tongue

Dr Spook your getting more and more weird as the weeks go by……What the heck does this have to do with Gaming or is it just this Old Fella just not seeing it.

Anyway Matey keep up the good work and keep posting these weird videos to keep your twin brother mrnelster happy wink
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Nov-13 15:19:19
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Yeah that was so exciting i could not contain myself and had a little Sex wee in my pants pull ups…

tongue
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Nov-13 15:32:56
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

So basically you are saying don't go for a fibre Super fast connection and stick with a Bog standard ADSL .

No, because then you lose the benefits of high bandwidth.

But just be aware that if you have a very low latency like mine (9ms on average) you become heavily dependant on the quality of the matchmaking system. There are likely more and more low latency connections about, but the matchmaking system won't wait long enough to populate a whole game with them. Consolers don't have the options PC gamers have to see latency, just silly green bars.

Try reading all of this Magoo. I know what your attention span is like these days! wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-13 17:22:00
Print Post

Thanks i got bored after the first paragraph tongue i haven't got a week to read all that,besides the mrs is still at work and she needs to read it out because there are to many 3 letter words and over for my liking tongue

Edited by time2die (Tue 05-Nov-13 17:33:43)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-13 17:30:14
Print Post

Pull ups………Aint got any of them blush .

Anymore giant sized videos we can download at your suggestion reference Killzone so i can use up all my bandwidth for 1 minute videos shocked
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Nov-13 22:52:01
Print Post

Man nappies!

laugh

Silly bu*gger that he is. grin
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Nov-13 22:58:25
Print Post

Sigh. Yeah. I understand you Mr Nelster I really do. Shame some of these other simple minded folk don't and need yet another reminder.

Not naming any names eh Timey? laugh

Well. I hope the more people who get faster fibre connections the better matchmaking gets - meaning MrNels and co. won't suffer so much and we can all see a level playing field, especially if I'm gonna get a PS4 meself one day.

Yeah. You still get a millisecond response time in the PC browser stats so that's one reason why it's SUPERIOR to all you consoleys. wink

Yeah. Check out my low latency skills dude. See how I can like get killed in 10 milliseconds flat! Woo. Takes at least twice that time on console. grin

Note to Timey who seems to miss the point everytime: the robot is super 133t. Geddit? He kick ur ass. N00b!

wink
tongue
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to