Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Nov-13 21:02:24
Print Post

My brain hurts...

[link to this post]

...after a discussion tonight in Richer Sounds.

I went in to order a 1080p Samsung LED TV, on special for £379 with a free 5 year warranty. The manager told me it was only "entry level" quality. I told the guy that I wasn't fussed about post processing engines etc, as I only wanted it for gaming purposes. He told me that buying a 1080p LED screen running at 50Hz was a mistake for gaming and that most xbox and playstation gamers are after 600Hz units.

I told him that most Samsungs have a "game mode" that turns all the processing off and reverts the set back to 50Hz, so as to prevent input lag. He looked at me blankly and said he doesn't think that's what it was for. So I told him there must be a clue in the title and he lost interest rapido styley.

Does anybody understand the relationship between picture frequency and frames per second? I don't see any reason to go above 60Hz for gaming.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 00:57:18
Print Post

Re: My brain hurts...

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Most modern televisions have a refresh rate of at least 200hz and some even much higher than that,but matey I'm no television buff event though i buy the latest Samsung Televisions and all the rest of the gadgets.

Edited by time2die (Sun 10-Nov-13 00:58:04)

Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Nov-13 03:17:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
Does anybody understand the relationship between picture frequency and frames per second? I don't see any reason to go above 60Hz for gaming.

Not really mate! If you wanted a definitive answer you could always visit the AVForums(.org)?

I think it comes down to two or three factors:

Input Lag - all LCD/Plasma screens lag behind CRT screens when showing the image (regardless of motion processing)

Post Processing (as you say) - you have processing for colour fidelity, dynamic range, and motion artifacts of course which will impede the screen response times I think. My own LCD screen for my PC is a pretty old SPVA or something so hardly ideal for gaming.

Response times - measured in milliseconds, grey to grey typically (harder and slower for colour to change black to white)

This is a list of the types of tech used in LCD displays:

TN Film
IPS
PVA or MVA
PLS

If you really wanna do some reading you can try TFT Central

I was definitely reading about monitor refresh rates just recently and I remember now, it was to do with nVidia and them coming out with some new synchronising tech that could be used in monitors so frame rates could be rendered smoothly in time with less hold up dropped or unnecessarily rendered frames...

Had a google... It's nVidia G-Sync...

Yeah, broadly speaking i think - screen blurring is one response time thing and input lag is another.

Edited by SPOOKish (Sun 10-Nov-13 03:21:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 10-Nov-13 04:11:59
Print Post

whats the model?

that would give you better replies, then other people can check the specs and give you more informed advice.

I overpaid for a samsung ue32f5000 a couple of months ago. I say overpaid as I got from my catalogue on a pay 12 months later deal so obviously I am paying their premium so its a £100 or so higher then the amazon price.

Funny enough its my first LCD tv, prior to thay I only had LCD with monitors.

Hours later after lots of research it seems the general guidelines are to set to movie mode for most natural colours and turn pretty much all postprocessing off. I havent tried using it for games tho but I can tell you the tv has a specific game mode in the options and this tv is considered entry level.

I be surprised if the extra refresh rates marketed make any real impact at all on games. The proof is in monitors, if these 200hz etc. marked refresh rates made a difference then the tech would be on pc monitors also.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:06:07
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks, it's a Samsung UE42F5000 LED. I agree, I would think there is little to no difference and that if anything, the higher rates would be a disadvantage to the most competitive twitch gamers. All I care about is that it isn't a blurry mess and I don't think you have to spend £700 to avoid that these days. For watching I will stick to my Samsung 42" 768p (?) plasma, which has an amazingly clear picture even if the upscaling can be annoying with fast moving stuff like the footy.

I think I will be buying this LED anyway, at £379 with a 5 year warranty. The advent of Smart TV's have made these a real bargain IMO.

Richer Sounds are normally spot on, but this guy appears to be the manager and is always a chump. Unfortunately he always seems to be the only free assistant.....perhaps there's a lesson there.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:17:22
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I think this one is 100Hz mate, but will set back to 50Hz in game mode (which is the European standard, I think the US is 60Hz).

I think for movies, the all singing and dancing sets will show an improvement, but for gaming (and watching cartoons which is about the most common activity in my flippin' house mad) it's of no real consequence.

It's a bit like cinema systems. Some people will spend £1000 just on the amp. Maybe if you work in sound engineering you can appreciate the detail. For me however, my £500 for the full system made Iron Man sound incredible, and that'll do for me. smile
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:23:55
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
Had a google... It's nVidia G-Sync...
A proper good link that one mate, cheers. smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:34:39
Print Post

We bought one of One of these about 18 months ago and it's superb.

Yesterday we went to currys and bought a led samsung 32 inch smart tv to replace the existing 32 samsung LCD tv,why there we bought one of These to go with it and again for price the sound is amazing.

Not near as much as the first one I mentioned that takes pride of place in the front room for Gaming but compared to the pathetic sound that comes from these ultra thin modern tv it's really nice.

Keeps her happy anyway because she won't see me much soon blush,just listening to rapid fire of me filling you with a lot of lead shot tongue
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Nov-13 10:40:49
Print Post

He's generally just going to bed about the time he posted that link early this morning wink

Try as I might with many direct buy a playstation 4 for launch links I sent him he ain't having none of it,let's hopefully bombard him with YouTube clips of me and you having a ball with Killzone.blush

Generally this game better blow my mind,because I've said a lot of positive things about it based on watching other people playing it and watching the many videos .

Really be shocked if I don't adore this game .crazy
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 10-Nov-13 12:40:01
Print Post

that price is very low, where is that from?

Its almost £100 less than amazon.

I assume the tv is the same spec as mine given the model number with the exception of the screen size. My tv has got good reviews for games.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to