Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:02:19
Print Post

resolution vs performance/gameplay

[link to this post]

so cod ghosts embargo got lifted.

the xbox one has lower resolution than ps4 on the game.

however

it seems the resolution isnt without compromise, the ps4 has frame rate drops so isnt consistent (devs where is your priotity?).

xbox one apparently smooth consistently at the lower res.

I am curious if microsoft have told publishers that they value performance over resolution.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Nov-13 00:41:18
Print Post

Re: resolution vs performance/gameplay

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I am curious if microsoft have told publishers that they value performance over resolution.

Or Microsoft Xbox One isn't up to it

Edited by time2die (Thu 14-Nov-13 00:42:16)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 14-Nov-13 03:41:28
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

up to what?

ps4 is the one with the frame rate drops, meaning it cannot handle it either. I would pick a smooth 720p experience over jerky 1080p every time.

now here is the next part which I love, as you know I hate fanboys.

It is also been revealed previous comparisons of ps4 vs xbox1 on cod, there was people who said they couldnt see the difference even tho was 720p vs 1080p, but fanboys were calling them blind saying is a clear difference, well here it comes. Both were actually 720p comparison shots because the unpatched ps4 game runs at 720p. So the fanboys were in "confirmation bias" mode saying they could see 1080p just because they thought it was 1080p.

This is how silly this resolution thing has got.

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 14-Nov-13 04:34:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Nov-13 06:44:17
Print Post

It's becoming daft now. The target should be 1080p full stop. The frame rate should be the compromise not the resolution.

Do you have a link for the frame rate problems you quote?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 14-Nov-13 08:09:17
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

http://youtu.be/COODjYIQ6wE?t=2m58s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPptFdryU9Y
http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/12/call-of-duty-ghosts-...

to name a few

I am not sure how you conclude a jerky 1080p experience beats smooth 720p. That would most defenitly affect gameplay. Especially when people are even struggling to visually see the difference between 1080p and 720p.

Standard User Jaxx281
(experienced) Thu 14-Nov-13 09:23:50
Print Post

I am so tired of all this framerate, resolution and refresh stuff. I have got sucked into it all via this forum and via another forum I frequent and even a couple of my friends are getting all obsessed by it.

I've played games for years and have always enjoyed them, a little bit of better graphics or whatever has never bothered me that much.

I'm just going to get myself a new console next week, a new TV (of what I want rather than worrying about all the different rates) and see how I get on.

Is it going to look better than my 360? Yes
Am I going to have a load of new games to play? Yes

That is the main thing for me, I will be a happy Jaxx come next weekend smile
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 14-Nov-13 12:41:12
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

yeah I am suckered into it via a few threads here and that the youtube channels I follow have been 90% resolution topics the last 2 months.

Lost oddysey which I am playing currently has pretty good graphics I got no idea what the native resolution is on the game, I dropped the display mode to 480p and it looked almost as good, the only bits that looked worse were the text probably due to the bad handling by the monitor of the non native resolution.

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Nov-13 18:38:36
Print Post

News flash: Nobody sucked you into anything. You obviously don't want a PS4 or Xbox One, you don't care about graphical fidelity, you prefer older, slower games and FPS doesn't interest you. Yet here you are again banging your drum, only this time you claim you were sucked into it.

Give me a break Chrysalis.

Timey is excited for his next generation purchase, as am I. By your own admission, you don't really give a toss either way. Where's the hook?
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Nov-13 18:45:50
Print Post

I am not sure how you conclude a jerky 1080p experience beats smooth 720p. That would most defenitly affect gameplay. Especially when people are even struggling to visually see the difference between 1080p and 720p.

You're doing it again. Link to where I just said that? Link to where it's says 30fps locked has to be jerky? Then this time don't claim it to be a misunderstanding rather than acknowledging your own mistaken inference.

Perhaps Microsoft told developers to stick to a smooth 720fps? Give over man.
Standard User astateoftrance
(committed) Thu 14-Nov-13 19:46:26
Print Post

These issues are most likely because the game is poorly made and not a reflection of the PS4's capabilities or limitations.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to