Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Dec-13 09:22:38
Print Post

Suggest a bigger Hard Drive for Playstation 4

[link to this post]

Now as we all know you can replace the hard drive in the playstation to one with much more data storage than the existing 500g model,now the same space with a SSD is going to cost a small fortune and i want about 2TB so Hybrid is the way to go.

It has to be 2.5 inch as far as a know and i would prefer 64 gig of on board flash in this Drive as opposed to just 8 i have seen in a video,think the speed has to match whats in already which is 5400rpm ,but if its compatible to have run that runs even faster and works with the playstation 4 I'm all ears.

I have taken a look at ebuyer and a few places but i don't really know what I'm looking for and whats the best suitable,there is no search like ….Playstation 4 hard drive upgrade that brings up any results.

So anyone in the know please post a link or to about what to get and what works as this hard drive in my case is going to fill up pretty rapid and i would rather replace it now than in 6 months.

Cheers
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Dec-13 09:35:25
Print Post

Re: Suggest a bigger Hard Drive for Playstation 4

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I would have thought that you would only settle for a SSD drive, anything else isn't the best. Imagine how you will feel when someone comes on here boasting about how much faster and quieter their new SSD drive is wink
PS5 won't be out for a long time yet.

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User astateoftrance
(committed) Thu 05-Dec-13 10:29:35
Print Post

I do not know much more than you just that it needs to be a 2.5" drive. Official Sony upgrade guide.. 2 TB would be good but having just had a look on a few sites, Dabs, Ebuyer and OCUK the biggest Hybrid drive available is 1 TB

In reply to a post by time2die:
I have taken a look at ebuyer and a few places but i don't really know what I'm looking for and whats the best suitable,there is no search like ….Playstation 4 hard drive upgrade that brings up any results.

Funny you should say that just found this drive on Ebuyer which says 'Seagate 1TB SSHD - Ideal PS4 Upgrade' laugh

Edited by astateoftrance (Thu 05-Dec-13 10:30:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Dec-13 11:35:00
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

SSD drive i have looked at Swanny but they are really really pricey and we are talking extreme amounts of money and possibly twice the cost of a playstation 4 to get anywhere near a 1TB SSD Drive.

I might spend a lot on gaming but i can not justify spending £700 plus on a Hard drive upgrade especially when the Hybrid Drives are only a few seconds behind when it comes to loading the data having watched a guy testing all 3 hard drive capabilities and loading times for certain data.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Dec-13 11:40:32
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

Will take a look Trance at your links.Much Appreciated matey wink

Basically I'm not all for taking things apart and upgrading stuff so i don't want to read a few forum posts buy the drive to find its not compatible,from what i have read it has to be 2.5 inches,Sata, and spin at at least 5400rpm,now i don't know if it spins faster it will work with the playstation 4 as i have not seen a post regarding this saying go for the higher rpm,also the guy testing the Hybrid Hard dive said the one he was using had only 8gig of flash memory and you can get them up to 64 gig which is even better.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Dec-13 11:42:28
Print Post

Yeah got that official Sony Guide already in my favourites,tells you how to swap the drives but apart from saying 2.5 inch it don't mention much else regarding what else to choose.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Dec-13 11:47:53
Print Post

That drive listed looks good mate but I'm not sure about the online flash memory and when i said the best is 64gig i made a mistake and it was suppose to be 64mb.

Don't also say that its a 2.5 inch drive but it does say suitable for a playstation 4 upgrade,pity i would have preferred a 2TB hybrid drive that would work with the Playstation 4 as opposed to 1TB as knowing me in 12 months time and the amount of games i buy and download this will also need changing.

A 2TB would be ideal and i would not have to upgrade again,saying that they are for pre/order and where expected in to them on the 4th december so at present they are not in stock.

There has to be bigger Hybrid drives than 1TB that will work with the Playstation 4…….Spook where are you i need your Geeky Skills here blush

Edited by time2die (Thu 05-Dec-13 11:50:02)

(committed) Thu 05-Dec-13 12:15:38
Print Post

It says further down in the full description that it is a 2.5" drive. The larger capacity Hybrid drives I have seen are all 3.5"/desktop ones, looks like 1 TB is the max available at present for 2.5".

The flash memory in that drive is 8 GB, 64 MB is the cache. So like you said it would probably be better to find one with a higher proportion of flash memory...sure spookeh and others know much more and can advise smile
(committed) Thu 05-Dec-13 12:31:39
Print Post

Had another look on Ebuyer and all the 2.5" hybrids have 8 Gb of flash except for this bad boy which has 120 GB SSD + 1 TB of HDD. laugh

**** I have no idea if this is compatible with PS4!****

Edited by astateoftrance (Thu 05-Dec-13 12:36:13)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Dec-13 13:48:10
Print Post

Is that cool or what and should i buy this….What are the benefits of this compared to the other you listed,i don't mind buying this if its top notch and well worth the effort and is fully compatible with the Playstation 4 which I'm not sure it is.

Only had a quick look and i will look a little deeper later but i suspect you would not have given me the link if it wasn't .

Thanks Trance for your information…….Im not thick just want other Gamers opinions thats all blush
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to