Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Dec-13 17:06:54
Print Post

Achievements

[link to this post]

I originally thought that achievements were a waste of time, disk space and memory, until I brought a Ubisoft game.

For the low, low cost of a native UPlay game, you can get a reward system that actually does something useful, instead of just a nice pretty picture and a witty text message that are found in rival achievement systems.

For example, with Rayman Legends, you can get Wallpapers to download as well as Lums; Flashback has music and Blood Dragon has music and wallpapers.

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Dec-13 17:59:55
Print Post

Re: Achievements

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Thats Amazing blush
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Dec-13 18:48:03
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

It Certainly Is!

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 08-Dec-13 20:22:03
Print Post

I have always been a fan of achievements, I think they a brilliant system.

Star ocean 4 has its own internal trophies as well, these trophies is 900 of them, many are very simple and will get just by playing the game eg. "kill an enemy". others are crazy like "kill 30k enemies" or "kill hardest boss in game in under 20 minutes with weakest character". Anyway these trophies unlock things in the game like 25% adds extra voices in battle, 50% unlocks more levels, 75% more voices again and 100% extra CP. 100% for each character also gives an achievement although getting 100% on star ocean 4 is quite possibly the hardest to get xbox360 achievement ever, its insane. At a guess I would put it at over 1000 hours of playing time easy.

On real achievements my view is people should be awarded things like avatars and themes, and maybe some store credit every so often as well. So the ubisoft thing is a good idea.

squaresoft ps3/360 final fantasy games award avatars/themes for specific achievements as well. I assume they will do the same on ps4/xbox1.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Dec-13 20:45:35
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Achievements that are actual use should be applauded, but those that done (like everything on Steam) are just a waste...

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User SPOOKish
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Dec-13 21:06:49
Print Post

Got some unlocked content from AC3 I think, not sure though. Oh yeah. There's stuff for AC4 too but I don't know how to access it. And I've had wallpapers too but my cool credentials (such as they are) would plummet if I ever had a game themed desktop here I think. crazy It'd have to be something super sexy without any text saying it's blah blah game from blah blah company etc.

I don't pay much attention to achievements but I do agree with you and Chrysalis that useful stuff is the way to go. I'd like to see more useful stuff in future. I guess the unlocks in BF3/4 could sort of count? That Star Ocean 4 game example from Mr C was a really good one for very dedicated fans but it's good to have all the same.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Dec-13 23:58:12
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

The Battlefield 3/4 unlocking system is good for the main part, although some of them are daft (and don't what you need to do) - the "Get 5 multi-kills being one". This requires killing at least 4 people at one or an extremely short period of time, for example.

Now with plusnet
My Blog
12 Things...
Twitter
Standard User Jaxx281
(experienced) Mon 09-Dec-13 09:19:26
Print Post

Hmmm I used to obsess over achievements haha, but nowadays I am not so interested in them. They started to add slightly more interesting things into Xbox such as Avatar awards and stuff but ultimately it's not that exciting is it? smile

I have got 48,000 on my Xbox gamertag, I will get to 50k soon no doubt from the games I have bought for Xbox One but I don't go out of my way to get them anymore. They kind of ruined gaming for me for a short while, as the first thing I would do when buying a game is check the achievements and some games I would play the really long way to ensure I got them all. Thus making the game a little boring, particularly when playing sandox games and the achievements are to get all of the collectibles etc.
Standard User SPOOKish
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Dec-13 22:14:12
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

Sounds like you were a proper achievement addict, Jaxx. Good to hear you're 'clean' now and can properly enjoy gaming once again. grin wink
Standard User SPOOKish
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Dec-13 22:15:26
Print Post

Yeah, what you need is a nice transport helo packed with enemy soldiers. And kaboom! Multi-kill!!! wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to