Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Dec-13 18:55:24
Print Post

Lets discuss this Connection issue with Nelly ?

[link to this post]

Lets have a link to problems with online connections such as Nellys and the fact that he seems to struggle to find any decent server and suffers really bad when playing online even though he has a super fast Fibre connection.

I know we have done this to death on many different forum threads but the more information we gather the clearer things may become.

I know others have consoles and play games without any problems and I'm one of them apart from the other night when battlefield 4 was unplayable,but i put that down to the server issues and not my connection as i played Killzone for about 4 hours last night and never encountered one single problem.

There will be many other console gamers with Fibre connections that don't have issues,Spook lives very close to his exchange and has a Fibre connection but don't get online problems like Nelly,but the difference here is Spook uses a PC unlike Nelly that uses a state of the art Gaming Machine tongue

Anyone else that has a Fibre connection and a console post your online thoughts and opinions,do you suffer with online problems and connections,how far are you from the exchange?

Im pretty close myself and don't encounter half the problems Nellys does so why is that ?
Standard User astateoftrance
(committed) Sun 15-Dec-13 19:06:51
Print Post

Re: Lets discuss this Connection issue with Nelly ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I am not on Fibre but ADSL Max at around 6 Mbps and generally my online gaming is fine, have not tried BF4 obviously but it was ok in BFBC2 and BF3.

I am sure Nelly has ruled this out but could it be a problem with your router ? Are you connecting using wireless or a wired connection ?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Dec-13 19:33:54
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

Knowing his love of games i would hazard a guess that its hot wired mate,nobody that loves games like he does would go for a wireless connection,saying that then if thats the case then you would defiantly be on to something but i doubt it very very much.

i use the Homeplugs to steam the Fibre down from the office to behind the Television,one of the best things i ever bought i can tell you that having put up with wireless gaming connections up until about 4 years ago when i heard about these babies wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Dec-13 19:41:06
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
I am not on Fibre but ADSL Max at around 6 Mbps and generally my online gaming is fine, have not tried BF4 obviously but it was ok in BFBC2 and BF3.

I am sure Nelly has ruled this out but could it be a problem with your router ? Are you connecting using wireless or a wired connection ?

So thats sorted then……seems we have a new nickname for Mrnelster………NELLY wink

Nelly tell us your set up and what equipment/Router/firmware you using,wired or wireless,i would really like to get this sorted for you if thats possible ,but from your previous posts i think I'm right in thinking it has nothing to do with your equipment and the way the games on consoles operate ?

What i don't get is the fact that there are many others in exactly the same position as you that don't encounter the issues you do,and thats the part i just don't understand ,if it was across the board then i get it but it isn't and thats the bit thats not sinking in.

I know you about to petition EA/Dice but who is your ISP and what do they have to say about your problems,whats the point in paying for a premium service and not getting any benefit out of it ?

Im guessing Nell that you upgraded to Fibre because of your passion for Gaming and not downloading stuff 10x faster.
Standard User jorkila
(committed) Sun 15-Dec-13 20:47:21
Print Post

Well i have fttc and connect at the full 80/20MB Bt profile with no issues at all wirelessly.
Played BF3 and all COD games upto MW3 on the 360, also Ghosts on Xbox One with no issues at all!!
Do you have fttc or fttp Nelly? Dunno if that would or even should make a difference to his online woes frown
Standard User SPOOKish
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 23:33:54
Print Post

I can answer that as far as I know, Nelly said he uses Plusnet like me and that he's got FTTC. If he's got FTTP then I'll be dam.ned and he can sort it out himself. crazy wink

He's not alone as I recall in suffering due to poor 'matchmaking' as the game devs describe it. Can't remember but it's always been COD games that used to get him, then Battlefield 3 and now 4. frown He used to say it was something to do with latency compensation - his being ultra fast so some kind of artificial lag would be applied to his connection which bu'ggered things up for him big time as it did anyone hosting a game with a super fast connection (importantly faster than the average player who connected).

He used to think using dedicated servers would help then investigated client side/server side hit detection issues which I believe Mr Toady knows a lot about.

I think Nelly should just bin his PS4 and go get a proper gaming machine like me. Soup up a PC or just borrow one or use a laptop or something and try playing any kind of online FPS just to see what gives. Though I'm not an ace player with catlike reflexes I'm not entirely hopeless either and used to do all right back in the day. I couldn't say I've particularly suffered any problems as Nels describes.

I had a game in BF4 tonight where everything went to pot and even the text input lagged a couple of minutes behind what I was typing (no sheet!) It was absurd and the tanks were sliding all over the place. I would urge Mr Nelly to give the game a much longer try out than he has and to really try different servers first before coming to any firm conclusions: try servers far away if you think your connection is working against you that way. Try different things.

Lastly, Battlefield games take a while to get used to. I know there's no good reason for you getting such low score per minute (not skill based) but once you're more familiar with the maps and more in the zone you'll rack up plenty of points without much effort. Sometimes you can get into a negative pattern against the flow as, if you go Commander you will see how true this is, what you get are waves and waves of enemy players all going for the same spot (a bottleneck of sorts) or find yourself unwittingly facing off a whole rapidly deploying squad where you just can't win no matter what. It pays to take a step back and try spawning with a strong squad or at least running behind someone else! Seriously, use them as the bullet magnet as like Toady said, it's pretty hard at times spotting the enemy player for all the foliage and smaller player models/camouflage. Don't give up Nelly! And do complain to DICE. There are millions of us with some complaint about the game. The number of bugs is ludicrous. They should have at least sorted out the servers by now.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Dec-13 12:01:04
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Thanks SPOOK.

The thing is, the game renders beautifully. No slipping, sliding or rubber banding. I think we need to differentiate between lag (as in the game state itself) and "lagging" behind the play. I tried the careful approach last night and took a sniper rifle to Hainin in the bushes at the rear of the multi storey. I shot a guy twice in the centre chest from the ground, 50m away max? He didn't die. A few seconds later it says "kill assist counted as kill" or something similar. It's frustratingly illogical and I don't get it.

I believe it's the netcode, not the line or any of the accessories (routers/cables etc.) and that I am being placed into games containing substantially higher latency players than my sub 10ms. Toady's supposition that the client side detection allows a collision detection advantage is (rightly or wrongly) of no real consequence if there is a positioning disadvantage. That clearly explains the lack of hit markers and why aim assist doesn't work. I suspect aim assist requires you to be within a set parameter of the "character box" before locking on. It doesnt work at all in BF4 and always behavs very strangely at times in Call of Duty. In COD, most maps have a blind corridor layout. This makes prediction code a lot more reliable and is reflected in my experience by having to camp at one end, and shoot head on to get any kind of hit detection. The openess of BF4 is non conducive in that respect. So if the sniper rifles don't work that well either, then there is little to no point in playing. I feel strongly that this is an expected result of the coding and that it is dishonest not to mention it at the point of purchase, i.e. on the box, akin to the minimum specification requirements on PC games.

They don't have any server options on console SPOOK, you can't pick a locality or connection based on latency. I personally believe that a 5 bar ping could mean anything and every server I have seen shows 5 bars. If that is populating games from 300ms downwards, my 9ms will mean I'm going to get hammered every time.

And I would definitely come to yours with my ps4, not to moan about lag, but just to let you see for yourself what Killzone really looks (and plays) like. I think I would have confidence in your opinion as to how close this ps4 game has gotten to high end PC.
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Dec-13 12:37:44
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

I have FTTC but when I had standard ADSL it was the same but nowhere near as bad. I used to have a 30 ms ping even though my bandwidth maxed out at 1Mbps. I often had similar problems (as everybody does, it will never be perfect) but now with sub 10ms it is permanently the same.

In Killzone Shadowfall there is an online botzone, and it is the same but more telling as other players can join on the fly. You can kill the bots easily, but when the other players join the same issues start again. In the later COD games you could choose connection quality in the matchmaking menus, but still only as "Normal, Better or Best". Best came with the warning that you may have to wait for a substantially longer period for the lobby to populate. In Mercenary mode, no parties were allowed, so as to prevent matched latencies inviting their high ping friends into the game. It still wasn't ideal with just "Normal, Better and Best" but it did go some way to improving things.

The crucial point here is choice. I would happily wait longer to get into the right game, than have poor experiences forced upon me. Believe me, everybody (and I mean absolutely anybody) with a KD above 1.5 that isnt a sniper/camper and likes to assault bases, need an honest appraisal of their abilities. It is without a doubt most likely to be connection based.
Standard User jorkila
(committed) Mon 16-Dec-13 13:57:10
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Could you try downloading/uploading something whilst joining a server or even during the whole round to see if that helps at all, as it should affect your ping at the time? I know it wouldn't be a permanent fix but may explain if it is that your connection is so good!!
Standard User jorkila
(committed) Mon 16-Dec-13 14:11:50
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

Also this is my Pingtest result
[IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/90559914.png[/IMG]
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to