Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bernado
(learned) Sun 22-Dec-13 20:13:25
Print Post

Upload speed and online gaming

[link to this post]

I've just moved from O2W to TTB LLU due to O2 pulling the plug, but my upload speed isn't great. This package has a stated 1 meg upload but my modem only syncs at 0.7 meg, after noise reduction the connection achieves 0.6 meg up. Xilo were pretty good at trying a couple of tweaks and according to TalkTalk that's as good as it gets, from them at least (I was getting 1.4meg without issue from O2).

So, how fast up does a decent gaming connection need do you think? I guess the proof is in the playing but the trouble is I've got nothing to compare it with as I've only just got into this multi-player lark. I do seem to be constantly surprised by psychos with shotguns in Gears of War 3, though this could equally be due to me being old and rubbish at gaming. The connection itself otherwise is pretty decent with a solid latency.

Edited by bernado (Sun 22-Dec-13 20:16:08)

Standard User SPOOKish
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Dec-13 20:52:12
Print Post

Re: Upload speed and online gaming

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

This is the kind of question that you want someone else to answer, for all sorts of reasons. Though, in the absence of better informed and more technically knowledgeable folk, I will give you my two pence worth.

It's been a while since I was on ADSL (or seems so at least) but I'd say 600k up is all right for gaming. I'd normally say it's more about your latency and jitter (variability of latency as I understand it) than sheer throughput (bandwidth) though of course having adequate bandwidth does matter but I think 600kbps is adequate enough. Your latency might be a better benchmark to go by, but...

You're playing on the Xbox 360, a console. And there can be huge issues involved with what is termed 'match making', that is grouping of players in a game (supposedly) dependent on their average latencies. If a game is hosted by another player rather than at a common and separate server on another line somewhere, then you can sometimes be at a disadvantage if you've got better latency than others and are the host. But this depends on the game.

So far, it's been Call of Duty and Battlefield games that have been particularly criticised for unfairly penalising users who are hosting games due to seemingly overly aggressive 'latency compensation'. If you're hosting a game on your device then you're effectively 0 milliseconds away in time and would expect a bit of an advantage over other players depending on how far away they were from you (and their latency). I don't know if this applies to Gears of War 3 though. Timey used to play that a lot so he might know.

Things to check are your 'ping'. On a PC you can run a command prompt from the run box by typing cmd and pressing enter. You get a black dos-like box and you just type: ping bbc.co.uk or wherever to see what your latency is like (how many milliseconds it takes for a packet of data to get there and back). You can also ping a game server if you have the IP address. What you want to see is a nice steady ping without any spikes or packet losses (time outs) and preferably as low as possible, something under 30ms would be very good but you can play games okay up to about 130ms in my experience without being so severely affected by 'lag', the game becomes unplayable as you're too out of sync with what's going on.

Best to post router (line) stats and do some ping tests. There are various online sites and tools which help. And lastly, most of suck at gaming online here at least some of the time. And some all of the time (or so it seems). It's taken me over 100 hours on Battlefield 4 to get more competent at it to start scoring in the top half of the rankings. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I'm experienced in some of the older Battlefield games so have some advantage over totally newcomers. You've got to give it time no matter how good you are to understand the mechanics of a game and in a game like Call of Duty or Battlefield you need to understand the map as well and how it's being played like watching for players re-spawning on squad members and understanding where the hot spots are going to be.

I guess you're playing Horde mode so that might be a bit more simple, I don't know? Even a simple game will have people who are amazingly good at it as they've been playing it loads and it really requires online experience to get good against other human players. Bots don't compare at all to real intelligence. Even Nelly and Swanny can outwit the average bot sometimes. Just checking if they're reading this. I doubt it. And Timey won't be either. But you can't be as bad as him. wink tongue

Edited by SPOOKish (Sun 22-Dec-13 21:31:37)

Standard User bernado
(learned) Sun 22-Dec-13 22:10:30
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Cor what a full answer, thank you.
My ping to the Beeb is 18 millisecs so no worries there. TBBs speed test clocks my ping at 40 ms so all is well on that front.
Yes I did start off with Horde mode which was great and I didn't get wasted too quickly, but Team Death Match is another matter. It's only a matter of time before some tooled up crazy rushes me and I'm toast!

I guess I am just old and rubbish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Dec-13 22:54:03
Print Post

I think Gears uses dedicated servers, so whatever you get it should at least be consistent. That said I think it still uses client side hit detection (I could be wrong) so your apparently reasonable latency means you will, as SPOOK surmised, rely on decent matchmaking for a good game experience.

In any case, to be successful in team deathmatch you need your hackles up and if you don't know the map well enough you will always be at a disadvantage. If you can, play map domination style games when you are a beginner. They help you to learn the maps and you will have a better idea of where the enemy is going to converge, rather than being stalked personally in TDM.

Timey has great reaction speed and he's in bus pass territory, so there's hope for everybody. He dropped fifty pence earlier and it hit him on the back of the head. wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Dec-13 00:41:20
Print Post

Horde mode is the way the best part of gears 3 and the only reason i kept my Xbox 360 until the death and there stupid originally Xbox One Reveal……Thats was the time i kicked Microsoft into touch.

Horde is a good way of getting some serious practice for taking your skills for when you actually play team death or death match .

Personally just play Horde all the time with 3 other players because its brilliant fun and the stupid idiots that are people can fly ruined the latest version of Gears called Gears Judgment by taking away the best mode in it Horde ?

So don't ever consider getting that game.

Oh and nice to see and new face in the gaming forum,can not remember you ever posting in here before.

As for your connection all i know is you need very little bandwidth apparently to have good online games its based on other criteria such as Spook mentioned.

I remember the day with my Sega Dreamcast and my dial up and 28k modem playing Quake 3 arena it ran as sweet as a nut,granted its was only 4 players and its not exactly a Graphical delight but played lovely all the same.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Dec-13 00:46:28
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Watch your cheek Nelly else I'm going to hit this Panic Button and call the warden over to deal with you…..Cheeky feeker wink.

The only 50 I'm likely to drop won't be the coin variety either it will be paper Money tongue

Chamone Mutha Feeker smile….Eh heeeeee blush

Edited by time2die (Mon 23-Dec-13 00:48:19)

Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Dec-13 06:25:42
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Picking up COD Ghosts tomorrow.....bolt your back doors. tongue
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Dec-13 09:06:52
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

What Christmas Eve ? Why Tomorrow and not today…You doing some Christmas Busking again blush
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Dec-13 10:13:52
Print Post

Welcome to the forum Bernado
Don't worry about being old, you'll never be as old as Old Man Timey. He's so old that home help have to play his games for him laugh

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User bernado
(learned) Mon 23-Dec-13 11:34:31
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Haha, at 50, it's nice to know I'm not completely past it then. This online gaming stuff has bitten me hard, though it did freak me out a bit when I started as up to now I had all the messaging stuff turned off and had no idea. I was playing GRAW 2 (I did say I was old) for my first look at multiplayer and I was so outclassed I stopped playing only to get some message from an American chap asking me back - I turned off the Xbox and shut the curtainssmile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to