Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Cubly
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:30:46
Print Post

Best ISP for gaming?

[link to this post]

I would like to know the best ISP for speed but low ping for gaming.
Clearly virgin media is out of the question.
And BT is my best bet at the moment.
Nothing overly complicated please, just need a sense of the best at the moment.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jan-14 17:05:32
Print Post

Re: Best ISP for gaming?

[re: Cubly] [link to this post]

That depends on how much you are willing to spend and what type of Broadband you interested in,straight forward ADSL or Fibre optic .wink

Also depends on how much you are willing to spend ?

As for which one is best then thats difficult question as most on here will say that there broadband provider is the best so you would get a multitude of answers.

This forum is a good place to start to get some feedback but personally i would do some Google searches regarding your criteria ?

Personally i would ring a few up and talk to the sales/Marketing guys and tell them your needs and how much gigs you need and the fact it has to be stable for Gaming unlike Nellys who's on Dial up by the sounds of it…..Poor sod tongue but it gives us a laugh on these forums smile.

If i didn't hate BT with a passion i would automatically select them as a starting option,i only hate them because of the hours spent on phones over the years trying to sort out silly things like noise on lines and line faults [not broadband issues] and i have virtually lost the will to live while doing so.

The most frustrating amaturish company on the face of the earth with the customer care skills of a chimpanzee which completely lets them down,call centres everywhere but the UK and if on the odd chance your lucky you may occasionally speak with someone that understands English tongue

Saying that my Mother has BT broadband out in the sticks with the latest HUB 3 or whatever and her connection is about 1 meg max download speed and she has had very little if no trouble……..But she is 75 wink and i don't recall the last time she played Cod or Battlefield 4………Solitaire oh Yes blush

Edited by time2die (Tue 07-Jan-14 00:32:04)

Standard User Jaxx281
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-14 17:20:56
Print Post

I am with Entanet, you pay a little bit more than the big TV names but they have a very low latency network and I never have connectivity or lag problems. All Tech Support is based from their office in the West Midlands so if ever there is a problem you can speak to a person who acknowledges what you are saying and doesn't read from a script! wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jan-14 18:11:11
Print Post

I'm with VM and haven't had any problems

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User jorkila
(committed) Mon 06-Jan-14 21:08:54
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Been with ,aol(early days) ,adsl24,sky llu and now bt infinity never had issues with any of them!!
Don't go anywhere near supanet!!

Edited by jorkila (Mon 06-Jan-14 21:11:00)

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Jan-14 22:58:55
Print Post

Im with a ISP that many consider one of , if not the worst and have a very good stable gaming line http://www.pingtest.net/result/91463912.png Have not had any latency issues in a few years now , in fact i cant remember the last time .

Also routing seems to be good on my hated ISP and it available at more exchanges than any other ADSL2+ product , Oh and did i mention its dirt cheap and has truly shocking support if you like using the phone .
Standard User SPOOKish
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 00:01:46
Print Post

In general, you can't ask what is the best as it all depends. So your priority is gaming then? Low latency/ping?

That depends almost entirely on how close you are to your exchange or BT cabinet if using ADSL/Fibre.

We don't know your current status regarding internet so we've got to guess and just say what we've got ourselves really or say stuff like you get what you pay for in terms of support etc.

So, I'm using Plusnet Fibre optic. I live close to my BT cabinet and pretty close (<1km) to my local telephone exchange so my latency/ping is good. My ping to bbc.co.uk is 7ms and it stays nice and steady. I'm currently paying £20 a month but also pay line rental to Plusnet. I do recommend them but it all depends on things like: where you live, what package you choose, can you get a good deal (they have different offers on all the time), and crucially, your location and (likely) line quality could have a large impact on whether or not you need to use their support services. Some are diabolical and the most expensive are pretty good. Plusnet are actually very good even though they're quite cheap at the moment. Their support is UK based too. They're owned by BT.

One last thing to note is contract length. Most of the good deals require you sign up for a year or 18 months. If you're having problems that can be a nightmare to deal with if their support isn't very good. There are cooling off periods so it's worth checking the small print depending on who you go with. As Time2die and others have said, the higher priced ones will usually have better, more personal support and often have 1 month rolling contract offers. I would personally steer well clear of.... Virgin, AOL, TalkTalk, Carphone Warehouse etc. Also, I wouldn't go with Be Un Limited if they've not got a fibre option sorted out and also because they're now owned by Sky.

Yeah. I'd go fibre optic too. But maybe you should consider MrNelster's experience if you've got a console and want to play online...
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jan-14 00:13:34
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Welcome back Count Dracula ..Happy new year to you wink

Where did you go to,the top of a mountain or something with no adsl connection tongue
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jan-14 00:19:29
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woweebert:
Im with a ISP that many consider one of , if not the worst and have a very good stable gaming line http://www.pingtest.net/result/91463912.png Have not had any latency issues in a few years now , in fact i cant remember the last time .

Also routing seems to be good on my hated ISP and it available at more exchanges than any other ADSL2+ product , Oh and did i mention its dirt cheap and has truly shocking support if you like using the phone .

Yeah your right Bert they are wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jan-14 00:21:22
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

Was watching some of your Battlefield Vids you uploaded on that [forgot the program] miserable [censored] as they are only 30 seconds long……..Lot nicer on the twitch and other program on the playstation 4 though,and its as long as you won't wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to