Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Mar-14 08:53:00
Print Post

Virtual reality

[link to this post]

It would be interesting to see if Sony really has beaten Occulus Rift to the punch. Sitting down gaming will be the initial approach I reckon.

I'm trying to imagine DriveClub with a wheel, pedals and VR headset. shocked
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Mar-14 09:58:35
Print Post

Re: Virtual reality

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Like motion controlled gaming blush it does nothing for me crazy
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Mar-14 11:03:00
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Ohhhhhhh, Vienna!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jorkila
(committed) Sun 16-Mar-14 16:04:15
Print Post

I like the idea of turning your head and your actual fov changing (not kinect style either) but i think we'll be a while yet!!
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Mar-14 20:53:00
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

Like this you mean?

Rumour has it Sony will be announcing their head set on Tuesday.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Mar-14 23:59:57
Print Post

Whoopee [censored] Do tongue

Should start concentrating on releasing killer must have games for starters or decent games for the camera both companies seem to push on us.

I mean this Kinnect is it some form of a joke or what ? what purpose does it actually have and if you want to make customers buy a product bundled with it then at least have something mildly amusing to go with it.

Edited by time2die (Mon 17-Mar-14 00:02:19)

Standard User SPOOKish
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Mar-14 00:14:03
Print Post

I agree, it means something to me. Oh Virtual Reality!

Definitely the next (or at least he most exciting) step in gaming I feel. A bit anti-social though I suppose? They just need to develop some force feedback gloves and we're sorted. wink

The Occulist Rift was really exciting but in some ways the fact Sony are launching a model soon for the PS4 is even more so as it will no doubt help get many game devs onboard.

One of the big questions is gonna be the money aspect of course. And it remains to be seen if Sony are gonna have proper head tracking built into the headset independent of their PS4 camera. Hope so. But knowing them you probably need both. :/
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Mar-14 06:14:33
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

I think commercially it would be more viable a product if it is compatible with the PC. It would also make financial sense with the Occulus Rift already on the horizon, but who knows? Their Pulse PS4 headsets are PC compatible though, so you might be lucky SPOOK.

Did you watch the video? There's plenty of mileage in just watching your mates flail around the room then chuck up on their shoes! As I said earlier though, I reckon sitting down is where it will be at to start with. Imagine having a gun on that roller coaster ride and having to pick off terrorists as you go round? Or how about Bioshock Infinte? Shooting dudes when riding the sky rails was pretty frustrating. Imagine that with a pistol and head tracking? Could be sweet. smile
Standard User SPOOKish
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Mar-14 06:59:18
Print Post

Yeah mate, I watched your rollercoaster video link. Looked sweet and I agree with you about expanded applications for shooting stuff whilst aiming your head independently etc.

I googled your link as I was curious which show it was and what language they were speaking in. I think it was Norwegian and got Google to do some translating for me. Now I've got that Vienna song stuck in my head again! Yargh. smile

I doubt Sony will make their new VR headset PC compatible but it would make sense if they did but Sony are a funny company when it comes to having proprietary hardware (they love to screw more money out of consumers with their 'it only works on Sony' memory-cards and suchlike) and forcing consumers into their ecosystem so I won't be surprised if they make it a PS4 exclusive, at least with the first version.

Still, Valve seem to be behind the Rift so we PC guys will get to play too. But having a big name player like Sony in the PC market would be nice as I'm sure the build quality would be good. There are a few products in this space albeit they are still prototypes in the main so there will definitely be some innovation going on soon. One of my eyes is a bit wonky though so I don't know if VR goggles would work with me - yeah, I have a lazy left eye and I don't get on with binoculars so I'm not confident this set up would work well for me. It's pretty tantalising tech to have tho so I'm looking forward to trying it one day.

Bioshock Infinite on the rails would be a superb demonstration of these VR goggles for sure! Lovely jubbly! tongue

Edited by SPOOKish (Mon 17-Mar-14 07:02:15)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Mar-14 01:05:29
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Now Confirmed by Sony.

Not that I'm slightly interested in strapping some robotic gadget on my head and walking around like some possessed Zombie blush

More Virtual Reality blush

Unless i can remain slung back in my armchair and just starring at the Television with this contraption on my head then Im out ..As in Dragons Den ..OUT crazy

Edited by time2die (Wed 19-Mar-14 01:09:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to