Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-May-14 19:37:16
Print Post

America's Unused Game Consoles Eat Up as Much Power as

[link to this post]

Turn your next gen/s off at the wall

America's Unused Game Consoles Eat Up as Much Power as All of Houston

What's staggering about the amount of electricity consumed by this latest generation of video game consoles isn't how much they use when they're being played—it's when they're not being played.

The Xbox One and PS4 consume two to three times more annual energy than the latest models of their predecessors, the Xbox 360 and PS3, much of it while in stand-by mode, especially for the Xbox.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/America%27s_Unused_Ga...

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Sun 18-May-14 19:41:59
Print Post

Re: America's Unused Game Consoles Eat Up as Much Power as

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Was about to say I never leave my PS3 on standby but then saw the little red light tongue generally I don't leave things on standby though smile
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-May-14 20:12:54
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

I've got an intelli panel thing that switches off everything once the tele powers down

http://www.likecool.com/Intelli_Panel--Gadget--Gear....

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool

Edited by Lt_Swan (Sun 18-May-14 20:13:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-May-14 23:51:09
Print Post

Does that include your Spectrum 128k tongue
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-May-14 10:39:50
Print Post

Have single switch for TV stand kit, so mine is off most of the time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-May-14 10:56:11
Print Post

My Xbox One does all its updates whilst in standby , that was an inclusion i think , in the second major update .

Thing is , i don't have super fast broadband , and the idea of having to wait whilst possible multiple gigs of data are downloaded is not one i relish .

to further back up why i will be leaving my xbox one in standby , my xbox 360 does not have this feature , though it will continue downloads whilst turned off it wont update , and i have been left waiting a couple of hours whilst wanting to play World of Tanks on more than one occasion .

Although i except it almost definitely uses more power in standby than the last generation of console , it does considerably more like updates and listening and spying on me " O Wait ! " turned off at the socket wink

Edited by woweebert (Mon 19-May-14 11:01:24)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 19-May-14 13:37:26
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

I hope is an option to turn that off, I am not a fan of devices doing things when they should be ummm.. in standby,.

In reality if its doing things like updates, then its not actually in standby, instead its in some kind of low power operating mode.

Although I know why they put that feature there, the state of the internet in america is a bad situation, user's there saying things like the wolfenstein day 1 patch is crippling them, due to caps, throttles etc.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-May-14 14:00:35
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Some people don't even have 5gig a month download limits and with Wolfenstein its swallowed that and a little more if and when you acquire the game.

Honestly i can not remember a patch been so big in all my years of console gaming.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-May-14 14:22:00
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

BF4 map packs often are 1 to 2GB so sounds like a whole new set of textures as well as gameplay fixes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-May-14 14:33:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

well i get that bit,downloading extra map packs and stuff and new game modes,but seriously 5 gig on a playstation 4 for a suppose finished retail copy of a game and 7.5 Gig on the Xbox One.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to