Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-May-14 08:22:48
Print Post

Wolfenstein Reviews.

[link to this post]

Most of them are quite favourable actually,Ign giving the game 7.8 and controversial site Polygon giving the game a 9/10,yeah the same site that usually gives very low scores and gave The Last Of Us a 7 when nearly every other site gives the same game perfect scores and 9s.

Gamespot gives the game an 8 so based on my thoughts I'm obviously loosing the plot,I'm very surprised this game has received anything close to the scores above,its better than my first initial hour play through but i would struggle to give this a 7 and there is no way i will have the patience or time to finish it because its average at best and does nothing to hold my interest.

Edited by time2die (Tue 20-May-14 08:23:13)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 08:56:30
Print Post

Re: Wolfenstein Reviews.

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I never trust reviews. The reviewers are told what to say.
You and the others here are the only reviewers I trust

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-May-14 09:01:46
Print Post

I await your review with bated breath

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Tue 20-May-14 09:04:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-May-14 12:50:12
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Swanny and Toady……….Personally i have played it for about 2.5 hours and it does get better,its funny when i first said that the first hour of the game is like a introduction Tutorial and it certainly drags on,i was really surprised when suddenly close on 1 hours play through you get a caption on the screen saying a Machinegames production and then the opening credits start rolling.

Personally guys steer well clear of this and save your money,could not even recommend you pick this up in a bargain bin either.

Im free for today but the rest of the week i will have limited time for Gaming,and come Monday i expect Watchdogs and hopefully that will take some of the pain away with this disappointing Product.

Ign.com said the same as me regarding the opening,this to me should be the strongest element of any game and its a deal breaker for me if the introduction to a new game is marred by either poor graphics,terrible voice overs,bad soundtrack.and bad or bland looking menu systems.

The last of us had one of the best opening sequences to a game i have ever played and i guess when you play games of that quality on dated hardware and then you play Wolfenstein on your brand new shiny 10x more powerful playstation 4 and see Wolfenstein you start asking yourself a question……..Why oh Why did i jump on the Launch bandwagon as 7 months later apart from the odd game I'm yet to see anything of the same standard as The Last of Us.

Even 4 year old games like Red dead redemption breeze past anything on a Playstation 4.

Edited by time2die (Tue 20-May-14 12:53:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 14:26:03
Print Post

Maybe it will be on Games4Gold later in the year smile

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 16:11:47
Print Post

use independent reviews (generally people who paid hard cash for a game and not got a free review copy).

Problem is for that you have to wait until post release.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-May-14 16:25:16
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

When a game is good mate reviews are not as a rule held back as developers and publishers are generally proud of the product.

A lot of people look forward to the New Cod or Battlefield each year and review embargo are in place,the same applied to GTA5 and a whole host of others......but and this is a BIG but....all these reviews came out well before the retail game was out for buying from the public.

COD reviews where out at least a week before it went on sale,I really didn't think Wolfenstein would be quite as disappointing .

So future pre/ orders I will keep to top developers like naughty dog,Rockstar,Ubisoft and so on,any unheard of developers I will be very weary of.

At the end of the day it is what it is,I was all in for Thief and cancelled it based on review scores and have cancelled many others over the years when reviews have come out and the game gets hammered.

To be honest I have seen many game sites praising games in there previews ,yet when the final review hits the net it scores extremely low.

Yeah I know some of these get paid for promotion of certain games and like building up the hype.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 16:58:44
Print Post

I dont know the solution to the problem.

Basically the industry is currently like this.

It heavily relies on pre orders, many games been put up for sale a year before release.
Big name games will usually have E3 footage, but in recent years this footage has often been different to the final product in terms of quality/features in a bad way.
Playable demos been released before the game, seems infrequent now days, so consumer cannot try before purchase.
Games are focusing more and more on multiplayer with even now some games been multiplayer only, since multiplayer enjoyment depends on popularity of game, gamers will be pressured to either pre order or purchase early after release.
Hype is built up via promotion campaigns, fanboys, advertising and often is all thats needed to sell a game, pre release vidoes usually feature very little continous gameplay.
Pre order game content bonuses's are now rife in the industry.
Day 1 patches also starting to get more and more common which suggests quality of development is dropping although it could be a deliberate anti piracy measure.

Post release

Independent reviewers who have gave games bad reviews have been hit with copyright claims from developers of games, to get the review taken offline.
All major review sites get free copies of games (usually pre release), but are subject to embargoes until a set date, when they all release reviews same time, this will often be very close to release date, or same time as release date.
Now only approved companies (typically ign, gamespot etc.) can post gameplay footage on youtube from many publishers, this has led to a drought of gameplay footage as everyone is scared of been copyright striked. This tightens the relationship between ign and the publishers, ign get monetisation exclusivity on their videos, in return I suspect favourable reviews are given.
Games with big marketing budgets tend to by coincidence get favourable reviews, even if the game is bad, since the review companies need to look credible they will give some good games bad scores so they can look balanced. Typically jrpg's and low budget games are the victims.
People who get free copies dont necessarily get paid but they wont want to bite the hand that feeds it, so they realise if they give unfavourable reviews, their supply of free products may get cutoff, hence they may choose to not do a review instead of publishing a bad review. Some people have had to sign review contracts stating they not allowed to negatively portray the product.

Whats the solution?

as I said I dont know, I think one solution could be to ban pre ordering, that would also kill of all the pre order exclusive rubbish that currently goes on, but I fear this would instead just lead to a surge of people ordering/buying on release day, so wouldnt necessarily solve the problem.
I think the game industry could regulate that a playable demo that reasonably represents the game in terms of visual quality and features should be launched at least 1 month before the game goes on sale. In the 1990s playable demos were very common. I remember ff13-3 E3 demo, the media were able to play it at the event, but this didnt get released to the public until about 14 months later, just 2 weeks before release, the exact same demo, they just deliberatly delayed it, of course many games have no playable demo at all.
Day 1 patch ban? but this could lead to bugs been artifically kept in place to honour the ban. Instead maybe regulation that states if a game has to be patched on day 1, all DLC has to be free or consumer refunded 25%. Or if a game has a unpatched bug left in place (to try and circumvent the rule) the penalty still applies.
I would also regulate any released game has to be supported 2 years after release, laltely many games either dont get patches at all for bug fixes, or the devs will patch but give up within a few weeks, they abandon the product at that point. Again in the 1990s, it was not uncommon for games to have bugfixes 3-4 years after release.
Any promotional footage is not allowed to be FMV's, should be gameplay footage, cutscenes ok if rendered using gameplay models. Footage is not allowed to shift from scene to scene rapidly, so has to be minimal 30 secs continous footage.

Require publishers to release multi genre games with good budget spread instead of exhausting existing IP's. e.g. activision is the biggest culprit here, on consoles they plunder COD IP annually, on PC its WoW. They dont actually release that many different types of games compared to say ubisoft, kanomi, square enix, namco etc. even EA has a wide range compared to activision.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 17:14:38
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Will be interesting with twitch being so much easier to use to take a peek at actual gameplay, without all the slick editing of the adverts

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Tue 20-May-14 18:27:45
Print Post

It's not the greatest game ever for me but I've quite enjoyed it, the game is far too easy though, the AI can be really really dumb, at 1 point I had a friendly AI and an enemy AI right next to each other and neither of them shot at the other.
Is fun to shoot an enemy who is in the process of throwing a grenade and see it fall to the ground beside them and wipe out the guy who was going to throw and usually a couple more guys next to him.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to