Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 25-Jun-14 15:52:58
Print Post

playstation now

[link to this post]

So the streaming service is been trialled, prices are crazy. pure greed from the content owners, been setup to fail?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/06/22/pl...
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/sonys-playstat...

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 25-Jun-14 15:58:18)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jun-14 17:06:09
Print Post

Re: playstation now

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

So they say ,is it in the UK or are you talking USA ,It not suppose to hit the UK market until 2015...

It's been in the USA for the select few for the past 3 months,I've not seen it on the store earlier at around 5pm uk time.

Edited by time2die (Wed 25-Jun-14 17:07:16)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 25-Jun-14 17:21:34
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

yeah as usual UK will get it probably much later.

but that pricing is going to kill it before it starts, it needs a netflix pricing model in my opinion.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jun-14 17:23:58
Print Post

Subscription model would have been good, at those prices I don't want a cloud based video stream but rather natively rendered graphics.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jun-14 17:36:33
Print Post

Yeah I read a article this morning about this on N4G and they said the pricing would kill it before it even started.

Personally I don't really care as I doubt I use it because most times I have already played the games and I don't really do much retro stuff.
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Wed 25-Jun-14 21:47:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I agree a subscription model is the way to go.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jun-14 23:16:21
Print Post

Not for me thanks

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(member) Thu 26-Jun-14 13:28:17
Print Post

Those prices are crazy, not got a PS4........yet, but wouldn't be using that service at those prices if I did.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 26-Jun-14 15:18:02
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

ps now is also going to be on ps3 and vista.

It was supposed to have all ps1/2 titles on it as well but my guess now it will be limited titles that they think they can profit from.

In my view ps now was a chance to give something back to the gaming community and simply exist to make the ps stand out, now it looks like its just there to print cash.

But yeah I said before I think the true reason for lack of BC, was for profiteering reasons not technical, the things publishers defenitly dont want as well as sony probably to a degree is people buying new consoles and still having a game library they own that can be played on it, it makes selling relaunched older gen games on it harder as well as ps now would also have conflicted with BC.

To me this is how to salvage the service.

Introduce netflix style pricing as an alternative, this has to be reasonably set I think 20usd absolute maximum per month. As a carrot give psn+ payers limited hours of gametime per month inclusive in their service. But those paying the extra sb fee should get unlimited hours from full catalogue.
Keep also the pay per play pricing but make it more reasonable and add a system where if someone owns a physical copy, they can insert the media for verification and enter the serial number of the case label to attach that copy to the console, it then becomes free to play on the service.

Thats what I would do.

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 27-Jun-14 00:42:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jun-14 16:03:28
Print Post

Or if you have done some paid hours of play you get a reduced price on the full digital version, i.e. real try before you buy

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to