Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Oct-14 11:37:18
Print Post

The Evil Within has landed

[link to this post]

Nice sound as it drops through the letterbox a day early wink

thoughts and impressions of the playstation 4 version later this evening.

Edited by time2die (Mon 13-Oct-14 11:37:49)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Oct-14 14:55:02
Print Post

Re: The Evil Within has landed

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Thoughts after 3 chapters…….

Great game but not without some flaws,mainly the poor camera angle and clunky movement controls very similar to the previous resident evil games,not like the wooden movement of the very first but movement is not smooth in this game.

Also plays out in a letterbox mode with big black borders top and bottom of the screen,the games a real challenge but that could be put down to the poor camera controls and the fact it requires quite a bit of stealth as the creatures in the game are really tough and a behind stealth kill similar in style to The last of us is the only real way of progression given the limited ammo you acquire throughout.

That said I'm well impressed with the game from the 2 hours i have played,it has its problems and its not the greatest in the graphics department and won't win any game of the year on visuals thats crystal clear.

It has Resident evil written all over it,problem is they could have improved the control and movement and camera problems associated with Resident evil games in the past but they haven't for some unknown reason.

May be thats the game director style and thats exactly what he wants…..Who knows wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Oct-14 23:50:36
Print Post

More on The Evil Within…

Game just keeps getting better and better and has the Resident Evil stamp all over it……..wink

On chapter 5 and having a enjoyable horror romp with some classic Resi Style action.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Oct-14 08:56:36
Print Post

Re: The Evil Within Reviews…Again all over the place

Here is one of the good ones.

Mixed Metacritic scores
Standard User Jaxx281
(experienced) Tue 14-Oct-14 09:05:24
Print Post

Thanks for posting your thoughts! Is it jumpy and suspenseful?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Oct-14 09:13:31
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

Ign.com.

Its really really good Jaxx,Stick with it as after the first couple of chapters the game gets very tense and really starts coming into its own.

Its typical resident evil style gameplay and the graphics are not brilliant but the areas are all nicely done and the killing is pure Resi.

There are scares and lots of tension Mate,with puzzles thrown in the mix and I'm sure you will be well pleased,like i said its no Uncharted and looks very similar to Resident evil 4 in that department.

There are 15 chapters apparently and I have just started chapter 5,oh and its a tough game mate ,believe me you will die a lot.

Edited by time2die (Tue 14-Oct-14 09:14:33)

Standard User Jaxx281
(experienced) Mon 27-Oct-14 09:24:10
Print Post

Hi mate,

Sorry late to the party here, I finally picked this up on Saturday morning and played it for a few hours Saturday night. Initial thoughts were very similar to yours, movement is a little clunky and the number of times I have to replay parts of levels gets a little tedious but that's the only negatives. It's VERY atmospheric, I really like all of the music, sound effects and creepy backdrops.

I've completed 4 chapters so far, I'm going to play a few more tonight or tomorrow I reckon. It seems to be getting a bit different now, like you said I can tell it's going to get better from chapter 4 onwards.

I had to pause the game and take a breath on that one scene where you first run into the 6 limb monster, what a horrific beast! When it's chasing you down the corridors and you think your safe for a second then BAM it possesses a dead body on the floor and appears next to you again and the music kicks off again.

I quite like the letterbox view with the black bars at bottom and top, makes it quite cinematic. Great game, got my heart racing haha, I would give it a 7/10 at the moment with a strong possibility of an 8/10 depending on how it develops from here. The weapon system is good, I'm loving the Agony Crossbow!!
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Oct-14 13:08:18
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

Yeah I'm really enjoying it mate and got to chapter 7 before i started playing some online The last of us.

But its not the masterpiece i was hoping but still a 8/10 game for me wink
Standard User Jaxx281
(experienced) Mon 27-Oct-14 15:43:29
Print Post

I can imagine playing it with headphones is even more terrifying! I'm just playing it through my TV and it's enough to make me jump laugh
  Print Thread

Jump to