Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 09:39:25
Print Post

Advertisement on ThinkBroadband

[link to this post]

Just thought i would give this a quick mention as I'm not sure if its just my issue or this happens to everyone on here.

When i visit other sites like Amazon and Shopto.net and look at say other upcoming games and other items in general whatever they are they then appear on the main page on the ThinkBroadband website.

How does that work ? you get a box window down the side of the front page.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Jan-15 09:52:38
Print Post

Re: Advertisement on ThinkBroadband

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

You need an adblocker and ghostery

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 10:11:10
Print Post

Do you log in to Google? I think it is Google tracking your browsing habits and delivering ads related to them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jaxx281
(experienced) Wed 07-Jan-15 10:59:26
Print Post

Yea that's Google Adwords mate. It tracks what you have been on and then presents adverts to you based on that. Loads of sites use this now, it's pretty much the number 1 way to advertise on your website as it gives targeted marketing to the customer and it's very easy to track your rebates on Google's platform.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 14:01:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Wouldn't say I login to Google as this is a IPad Air using Safari as its browser .
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 14:23:21
Print Post

Looks like google uses tracking cookies across websites - so if I do a search on Amazon the google tracking on that page adds it to the cookie to use that as a basis for ads served up via any site that has google ads.

Some basic info here about it.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 16:52:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks Ian for the heads up,I actually just went on my Mac and Safari settings preference and clicked on Ad block and now they don't appear on this site....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Jan-15 20:02:35
Print Post

Holds out begging bowl in response smile

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Fri 09-Jan-15 09:49:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry to say I am blocking the Ads also, I would rather leave them unblocked and support the sites that use them but these Google Adwords are just too annoying, I don't want everything I browse on Amazon showing up in them. Think it's time they changed that system.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jan-15 09:56:10
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

Barring the risk of browsing something on Amazon that would be embarrassing I don't have any issue with stuff I have browsed for appearing in the ads. I think it is pointless (what is the point in advertising something I already know exists) but I don't see an issue with it.

But, I may be unusual in that I generally don't see the ads. My brain has its own ad blocker that automatically weeds out irrelevant stuff on sites (except annoying sites that have popups and in line ads - those I don't like). The ads on this site are pretty unobtrusive and invisible to me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to