Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Jan-15 09:01:26
Print Post

Gaming Addicts

[link to this post]

Inside the Tragic, Obsessive World of Video Game Addicts like Timey wink

January 26, 2015

By Cecilia D'Anastasio

The withdrawal made Brett want to die. The 12-year-old had only been cut off for a few hours, and his mind was already wandering to a dark and dangerous place. Looking out the window of his family's three-story home in Wassenaar, a suburb of the Hague, in the Netherlands, the American transplant imagined swan-diving out of his room and falling to the ground below, with his skull cracking open against the pavement. A grim death, sure, but at the time he felt anything had to be better than not being allowed to play Counter-Strike.

Brett's father had retrofit a metal lock on his Celeron computer to prevent his son from gaming. When it was locked, the Celeron's data cable was disconnected from its hard drive so it couldn't turn on, preventing Brett from gunning down digital assailants. Half an hour after Brett was mulling suicide, however, a friend called him on the phone and invited him to come over and game. Brett, nearly at his psychological brink, was relieved.

"I remember thinking, It's probably very unnatural for someone to go from thinking about killing themselves to enjoying themselves in the span of 30 minutes," the now 23-year-old told me ten years later.

However strange, that incident was a mere prelude to the depths that Brett would sink with his burgeoning video game addiction—an affliction that has plagued his health and his familial relationships and stunted his adult life.

Continued below.

http://www.vice.com/read/video-game-addiction-is-des...

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool

Edited by Lt_Swan (Tue 27-Jan-15 09:02:13)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jan-15 12:51:03
Print Post

Re: Gaming Addicts

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Only I'm not 12 and I'm an Adult with a sound mind and responsibility and morals and know the difference between real life and Gaming.

To be honest Swanny you actually game a lot more than me so i don't really know what the feck your talking about.

The only difference between you and me is …….I see a game i fancy i buy it at launch and don't spend 10 hours trying to find it for a few pennies cheaper and looking for discounts and voucher deals tongue

Edited by time2die (Tue 27-Jan-15 18:23:09)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Jan-15 17:27:35
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I probably do play more than you in the winter and yes I like a bargain tongue

Swanny
cool

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jan-15 18:27:56
Print Post

Everytime I login to the PSN for a hour or two your on ........wink nothing the matter with that as I'm not knocking you......

And we all play less in the Summer for obvious reasons,firstly the lighter nights and warmer weather and outdoor activities ,and secondly there are basically no decent games released around June/July/August/Sep......Uncharted 4 down for November which is back to Winter if you can call it Winter in the UK......Yanks are having more Fun ...

Edited by time2die (Tue 27-Jan-15 20:26:48)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Jan-15 19:56:28
Print Post

Being single and not a tele watcher I don't have much else to do laugh

Swanny
cool
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jan-15 20:28:42
Print Post

Young trendy guy like you single with all that horsepower at your disposal on your Massy ....wink
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Jan-15 09:06:40
Print Post

Must get along to the next young farmers dance

Swanny
cool
  Print Thread

Jump to