I don't know if I will or won't build a gaming PC yet, or if I do, how I'm going to slip it under the missus's radar.
But whilst looking into the options, I have proved one thing (to myself at least). You can't build a gaming rig for the same price as a next gen console as some PC elitists will have you believe, unless you are prepared to aim for the lowest common denominator.
So firstly, as some will automatically disagree, I'll list my project criteria:
1. It must all be sourced from UK based suppliers with a solid (and tested) returns policy.
2. Strictly new parts (no refurbished/over clocked)
4. Strictly no eBay.
5. Parts must be of reasonable known quality i.e. I might want a Corsair power supply over an own brand unit.
6. The case has to be roomy and as quiet as my PS4
7. It has to be aesthetically pleasing next to my PS4
8. It has to have an 8 core AMD CPU
9. It must have multiple screen support
10. It will utilize a 40" LED TV (other than for a possible future multi monitor rig)
So here's my current musing:
Fractal Designs: Define R4 case
ASRock 990FX Killer AM3+ motherboard
Corsair Builder series CX 650W PSU
2 x 4GB Vengeance Pro Series Dual Channel DDR3 RAM (2400)
AMD FX 8350 Black Series CPU
Sapphire R9 270X Toxic GPU
Windows 7 64 bit OEM
I originally priced with a 780Ti Phantom in mind, but that came out at £976-00!
Remember, my target is simply Project Cars in Ultra with future 4K capability. The rest I'm happy at 1080p on my console.
I have utilised Scan.co.uk as they look like they fulfill my criteria but would like suggestions.
Lots of advice please, as the last PC I built was optomised for Yahoo messenger pool competitions..