Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 11:39:38
Print Post

My new gaming PC....maybe

[link to this post]

I don't know if I will or won't build a gaming PC yet, or if I do, how I'm going to slip it under the missus's radar. crazy

But whilst looking into the options, I have proved one thing (to myself at least). You can't build a gaming rig for the same price as a next gen console as some PC elitists will have you believe, unless you are prepared to aim for the lowest common denominator.

So firstly, as some will automatically disagree, I'll list my project criteria:

1. It must all be sourced from UK based suppliers with a solid (and tested) returns policy.
2. Strictly new parts (no refurbished/over clocked)
4. Strictly no eBay.
5. Parts must be of reasonable known quality i.e. I might want a Corsair power supply over an own brand unit.
6. The case has to be roomy and as quiet as my PS4
7. It has to be aesthetically pleasing next to my PS4
8. It has to have an 8 core AMD CPU
9. It must have multiple screen support
10. It will utilize a 40" LED TV (other than for a possible future multi monitor rig)

So here's my current musing:

Fractal Designs: Define R4 case
ASRock 990FX Killer AM3+ motherboard
Corsair Builder series CX 650W PSU
2 x 4GB Vengeance Pro Series Dual Channel DDR3 RAM (2400)
AMD FX 8350 Black Series CPU
Sapphire R9 270X Toxic GPU
Windows 7 64 bit OEM

Total: £731-00

I originally priced with a 780Ti Phantom in mind, but that came out at £976-00! crazy

Remember, my target is simply Project Cars in Ultra with future 4K capability. The rest I'm happy at 1080p on my console. smile

I have utilised Scan.co.uk as they look like they fulfill my criteria but would like suggestions.

Lots of advice please, as the last PC I built was optomised for Yahoo messenger pool competitions..
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 15:39:38
Print Post

Re: My new gaming PC....maybe

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Wouldn't use Scan and wouldn't even entertain the idea of a PC.....You buying a PC strictly for Project Cars......Won't you ever learn Nelly......

Your not exactly playing that much and don't have a lot of spare time according to yourself so it's not a venture I would be getting myself involved in...

As for Scan ,they built my system that cost around £2000 8 years ago and within weeks even with the twin graphic cards and there [censored] about there 3dX systems and custom rigs the thing started getting slower and slower until it completly put me of PC gaming...

I bought at the time one of there best rigs with there branded 3DX logo and I wasn't truly inspired or impressed,and the after sales experience was pretty non existence in my case even though on one occasion I sent it back...

Far better places to go than Scan mate...crazy.

Personally I don't see any reason ....Game wise ? Why you even need to consider PC Gaming,yes the resolution may be better but what exactly game wise do they have that not already on consoles..

Developers in there droves have left development of PC ordinated software for preference in the console market as it offers far more profit...

PC a dying market,ask Toady or your mate Crysalis tongue
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Feb-15 15:40:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
I don't know if I will or won't build a gaming PC yet, or if I do, how I'm going to slip it under the missus's radar. crazy

But whilst looking into the options, I have proved one thing (to myself at least). You can't build a gaming rig for the same price as a next gen console as some PC elitists will have you believe, unless you are prepared to aim for the lowest common denominator.

So firstly, as some will automatically disagree, I'll list my project criteria:

1. It must all be sourced from UK based suppliers with a solid (and tested) returns policy.
2. Strictly new parts (no refurbished/over clocked)
4. Strictly no eBay.
5. Parts must be of reasonable known quality i.e. I might want a Corsair power supply over an own brand unit.
6. The case has to be roomy and as quiet as my PS4
7. It has to be aesthetically pleasing next to my PS4
8. It has to have an 8 core AMD CPU
9. It must have multiple screen support
10. It will utilize a 40" LED TV (other than for a possible future multi monitor rig)

So here's my current musing:

Fractal Designs: Define R4 case
ASRock 990FX Killer AM3+ motherboard
Corsair Builder series CX 650W PSU
2 x 4GB Vengeance Pro Series Dual Channel DDR3 RAM (2400)
AMD FX 8350 Black Series CPU
Sapphire R9 270X Toxic GPU
Windows 7 64 bit OEM

Total: £731-00

I originally priced with a 780Ti Phantom in mind, but that came out at £976-00! crazy

Remember, my target is simply Project Cars in Ultra with future 4K capability. The rest I'm happy at 1080p on my console. smile

I have utilised Scan.co.uk as they look like they fulfill my criteria but would like suggestions.

Lots of advice please, as the last PC I built was optomised for Yahoo messenger pool competitions..

If I had your Mrs phone number I would grass you up......wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 15-Feb-15 18:15:27
Print Post

the best returns policy by far is amazon.

an example.

I brought a gtx 760 from them last year.
The fan was too noisy (was blower style), my fault for lack of proper research.
Amazon basically have an option on returns where you can return the product for simply not liking it, no questions asked, and thats what I did. They also paid for return shipping, the guy picked up from door.

Also for gaming although its more expensive I suggest intel/nvidia, problems are less likely, in particularly new games are becoming cpu demanding, and intel has the best per core performance.

Since you also building this for 4k gaming? a R9 270X wont cut it. You will need at a minimum 4 gig of gddr5, preferably more. Nvidia gtx970 is brilliant bang for the buck, but amd seem to have the edge on 4k gaming so maybe a r9 290x, you may have to buy a 2nd for crossfire if it cannot handle the resolution tho

I can confirm the define R4 is very quiet. I have 4 fans in the case (6 if include cpu/gpu) and its almost silent, and is silent on idle. I slightly hear gpu fan when ramps up for games. But far quiter than console fans.

Also I would wait, the amd 300 series will be released very soon, they will be better cards and the 200 series will get cheaper as well.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 15-Feb-15 18:40:50)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 15-Feb-15 18:35:01
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

his dilemma is like my ps4 dilemma.

Buying hardware just for one or two games.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 15-Feb-15 18:42:56
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

funny video for you smile I found it funny and I own a 970.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZJrsssPA0

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Feb-15 21:00:40
Print Post

Thanks for posting this
I want to get a PC too smile

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Feb-15 01:39:05
Print Post

Their are plenty of UK hardware companies- Scan/Overclockers/Ebuyer/Novatech/Aria- Amazon is not bad option either.

You will get better advice using a pc hardware forum on building a rig- aria and overclockers are quite good or pick up a copy of custom pc -plenty of build guides.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 16-Feb-15 07:47:52
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

one thing to remember core count isnt the be all and end all.

some games dont utilise even more than 1 core, and those that do probably are optimised for 2 or 4 cores. This is different to consoles where the optimised core count will be whats in the consoles.

I would only go AMD for the cpu if its for budget reasons as AMD is cheaper.

one area where he can save money is the ram, just get 1600 ram, 2400 wont make a slight bit of difference over 1600.

Also I dont think much is wrong with scan, I got my gtx 970 from there. Just I tend to find amazon's returns policies the best out there, and I as I have amazon prime I use amazon whenever possible.

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 16-Feb-15 07:51:08)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 08:21:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Im sticking with my little black box with playstation 4 on it currently waiting for The order 1886.

Another game Swanny will no doubt moan about having not been content with a single game on the system.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to