Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Mar-15 08:30:46
Print Post

Steam Machines back on the Horizon.

[link to this post]

I was only thinking to myself the other day whatever happened to these Steam machines and there disappearance on the release front.

Apparently they were delayed due to the Steam controller not been up to scratch.

Now this morning This has appeared.

Notice the crazy price structure and the amount of manufactures producing these units,i was half interested but I'm not exactly Playstation 4 crazy.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Mar-15 17:54:37
Print Post

Re: Steam Machines back on the Horizon.

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I posted that why you was still in bed. You colour blind or what? tongue
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Mar-15 18:31:14
Print Post

The Zotac one I linked to (you know, the one you didn't click Mr. Magoo) I would be happy with the spec for the price. Good base spec, multi screen support, upgradeable, pre built for me, $999 = £665 if I can buy it in dollars.

NVIDIA GTX 970M graphics
4x HDMI 2.0, support 4K UHD @ 60Hz
2D/3D NVIDIA Surround
HDMI in
Dual Gigabit Ethernet
HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS

CPU: Intel® 6th Gen Processor
GPU: NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5
Memory: 8GB DDR3 SODIMM bundled
Storage: 2.5 1TB HDD + 64GB M.2 SSD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jorkila
(experienced) Fri 06-Mar-15 18:47:43
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

A few more links for ya smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Mar-15 19:54:03
Print Post

You get back and learn how to drive,myself and Jorkila have got some Zombie killing to do later this evening.tongue
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 07-Mar-15 21:34:05
Print Post

yeah thats because those hardware manufacturers only make money on the hardware not software, so sony and microsoft will sell their consoles for less for 2 prime reasons.

Costs of scale, consoles produced all one spec in huge numbers.
Profit from software.

These steam consoles seem a bit gimmicky to me, and I am not sure who is going to buy them either. More expensive than existing consoles, and PC owners wont ditch their PC for one.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 07-Mar-15 21:34:33)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 07-Mar-15 21:44:10
Print Post

Its probable a gaming PC with a proper 970 (not mobile version like that console has) and a 4790k intel processor (4core/8thread) can be built for that price.

4690k £181 or 4790k £264 (in my view 4690k is plenty and would be my choice)
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard (4x DDR3, 4x USB3.0, 10x USB2.0, GBE, LAN, HDMI) £60 (6 sata ports)
2tb WD hdd £60
evga 500watt psu £35
Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Strix Graphics Card (4GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0) £280
Antec VSK-4000E 3 Bay ATX Solid Metal Construction Case - £28

Approx £640 with the 4 core intel chip or £720 with the 4 core 8 threaded chip.

So I wasnt correct a PC could be comfortably built, but this pc would be superior to the console, as the 4690k/4790k will easily overclock 30% or so and its a proper 970 not the mobile variant.

Cost excludes keyboard, mouse, controller.

Note a PC can be made to still boot into steamos, and connected to a HD tv. So basically it can be used as a console if thats the choice of how to use it.

forgot to add ram wink

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black £54

I did check the zotac on the site time2die linked to but they very vague on the cpu spec, just saying 6th gen intel.

Found this comment on a site

"Apparently its going to run a quad-core Skylake i5. And in typical Zotac fashion, it will be cooled by hopes and dreams."

So interesting it be next gen intel (after broadcom) but i5 so probably the skylake version of the 4690k.

I suppose given it be next gen intel, and the inclusive wireless stuff its probably not too bad value, and especially if you prefer the smaller size fo the device.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 07-Mar-15 21:52:28)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 10-Mar-15 13:38:15
Print Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WFboU_bjZE

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 17:01:38
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Not what i would buy,if i plumbed for one of these so called Steam Boxes it would have to be of a higher spec.

I actually thought these Steam Boxes were like Mini PCs situated by your television and it didnt literally stream stuff from your bigger better much more high powered Pc you have in your house already.

I thought this was a Cloud technology and not governed by other stuff and hardware.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 10-Mar-15 18:50:34
Print Post

well given PC's are for more flexible and are fully modular yes I would get a PC instead, and this wont attract someone who already owns a PC.

To me its only selling point is the small size of the unit, it will look better next to a TV than a desktop PC would.

For someone who only wants to play games on a box thats convenient, a PS4 is probably a better choice unless they want Microsoft platform exclusive titles, in which case maybe a xbox one.

But you can build PC's in quite small cases, some build HTPC's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC.

My set top tv box is a linux box. (vix solo2).

It be interesting to see if mrnelster ends up buying one.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 10-Mar-15 18:50:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to